Dometic RM2454 / DM2663 door hinge - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2016, 12:39 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 17B
I did fix the fridge as tif-texas suggested, I removed the broken plastic in the door and fit in a piece of stainless steel. Here is my solution to stop the door swinging open on bumpy roads, it is a sliding window pin that screws into the wooden plate on the door.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3793.jpg (30.8 KB, 35 views)

dunnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:48 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
Has anyone used the "Fridge Hinge Repair/Damage Prevention Kit" on a DM2663 refrigerator as mentioned in post #1 of this discussion?

I recently contacted Larry Gamble (Little House Customs) and he said he wasn't familiar with that model of refrigerator.

Sarah at ETI told me the 2017 5.0 TA will have a DM2663 frig, so I was going to order one of these kits if I can determine that it will fit that frig.

ThomasG,

TDF-TEXAS may be a little busy with his mods.

Dave (H46DRIVER) is due to arrive at Little House Customs tomorrow. He has the DM2663 fridge on his 21' 2017 Escape. Dave can be our verification. I will text him also and ask him to confirm.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:59 AM   #23

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
21 fridge

Are we talking about the new Escape21 we bought in Nov has that fridge door ? Is the problem going down a road the door opens and breaks the hinge or does it break when door is still closed ?
so keeping door closed with bungee or strap solves the problem and not loading the door up ??
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:57 AM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Casita 17 ft SD 2014 Ram 1500 V8
We have the RM 2454 and have added the SS hinge plate to both the upper and, lower hinges of our refrigerator . The plate does solve the hinge issue but does nothing for the door shelf issue .
We seldom travel on unimproved roads or carry heavy objects in the door but still the shelves continue to break . The shelves are of a poor design and Dometic knows there is a problem but continues to do nothing to rectify it.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:34 AM   #25

Trailer: 2014 17B
The hinge on our fridge door failed when it swung open on a bumpy road.
dunnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:03 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Just to double check....the Dometic RM 2454 is the 4cu ft fridge that is being installed in the 17B as an option correct? Unfortunately I chose the larger fridge so I'm thinking I should just order the dang stainless steel hinge before I get my trailer in March. At least then I'll have it on hand if the hinge fails.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:18 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by advenas View Post
Just to double check....the Dometic RM 2454 is the 4cu ft fridge that is being installed in the 17B as an option correct? Unfortunately I chose the larger fridge so I'm thinking I should just order the dang stainless steel hinge before I get my trailer in March. At least then I'll have it on hand if the hinge fails.
Or, you could just not put heavy items in the door shelves when traveling, especially on rough roads. I use a bungee cord to ensure the door is shut and secure.
By not following my advice, I did break one of the shelves, but was able to fix it with some epoxy and aluminum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fridge bungee.jpg (151.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Fridge repair B.jpg (99.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Fridge repair A.jpg (106.4 KB, 16 views)

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:51 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
I need to add "no heavy items in fridge door" and "bungee fridge door" to my inside check off list......otherwise I'll forget and we know where that leads......
Old 02-13-2017, 03:53 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by advenas View Post
The best idea is to install the reinforcement plate before it breaks. That way it won't break and looks better.

Heavy stuff in the door breaking the shelves is another matter. Just don't put heavy stuff in the door.
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:01 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Casita (Sold) 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Or, you could just not put heavy items in the door shelves when traveling, especially on rough roads. I use a bungee cord to ensure the door is shut and secure.
By not following my advice, I did break one of the shelves, but was able to fix it with some epoxy and aluminum.
Very good advice, but as I understand it some Casita refrigerator doors failed without heavy stuff in the door so it's perhaps a good idea to put the device on the hinge as a preventative measure.

Never underestimate a man with a Degree in Physical Education.
H46Driver is offline   Reply With Quote