Dometic RM2454 / DM2663 door hinge - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-26-2016, 11:27 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
tdf-texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Baytown, Texas
Trailer: 2017 21' Escape
Posts: 196
Dometic RM2454 / DM2663 door hinge

Just a heads up for 2017 Escape owners.

The top hinge on the door of Dometic RM2454 / DM2663 refrigerators are prone to break when heavy items are placed in the door and traveling. The hinge is part of the door and requires the door to be replaced when broken. Very expensive!

Casita owners have learned this the hard way. Casita uses the RM2454 and users have had the hinge break on several trailers. Larry Gamble (Little House Customs) has a stainless steel bracket that will prevent it from breaking or repair one that's broke.

I put this bracket on my Casita fridge door as soon as I got it home from Rice - the cost of a replacement door is really high for what the bracket costs.

Again, just a FYI as this model is new to Escape owners but familiar to Casita owners.

Store | Little House Customs

Fridge Hinge Repair/Damage Prevention Kit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6b6d8cf9.fridge_hinge_repair_bracket.jpg (44.8 KB, 11 views)
__________________

tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:51 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
tdf-texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Baytown, Texas
Trailer: 2017 21' Escape
Posts: 196
The plate screws onto the top of the hinge. The hinge pivots on a metal pin - the plate has a hole the pin fits into and braces so it won't break. You have to take the door off, screw the plate onto the top of the door, and then reinstall the door. The plate is thin so it shows from the front very little. If you color it black, it hardly shows at all.
__________________

tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:58 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Hill on the Moon, Texas
Trailer: perhaps 2017
Posts: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Just a heads up for 2017 Escape owners.

The top hinge on the door of Dometic RM2454 / DM2663 refrigerators are prone to break when heavy items are placed in the door and traveling. The hinge is part of the door and requires the door to be replaced when broken. Very expensive!

Casita owners have learned this the hard way. Casita uses the RM2454 and users have had the hinge break on several trailers. Larry Gamble (Little House Customs) has a stainless steel bracket that will prevent it from breaking or repair one that's broke.

I put this bracket on my Casita fridge door as soon as I got it home from Rice - the cost of a replacement door is really high for what the bracket costs.

Again, just a FYI as this model is new to Escape owners but familiar to Casita owners.

Store | Little House Customs

Fridge Hinge Repair/Damage Prevention Kit
thanks for the heads up...so Dometic can't make a rugged fridge for RV use..even after users experience show it ain't built rugged and a cottage industry offers a fix... and Dometic wants people to believe they can make a rugged awning without support arms...good luck with that!
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:15 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 9,238
The Escape manual tells you not to travel with heavy items on the door. Quite a simple fix is not to break it.
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:29 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
MyronL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Edgewood, New Mexico
Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Posts: 1,710
Simple. I only stock the door with butter, cheese, lite beer, my meds, etc.
__________________
Myron
"A billion here, a billion there...add it all up and before you know it you're talking real money." Everett Dirkson
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:56 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Hill on the Moon, Texas
Trailer: perhaps 2017
Posts: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
The Escape manual tells you not to travel with heavy items on the door. Quite a simple fix is not to break it.
agree...and designing a door with hinges that don't fail for the intended purpose ain't rocket science either....but apparently is beyond Dometic's engineering capability even after selling and manufacturing it for several years and requires a third party and extra expense to provide an alternative fix for the hinge.....

still think some of the RV industry and some of the vendors of the parts used in the manufacture of them are stuck in the stone age with regard to manufacturing and design.....
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:35 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Posts: 2,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Simple. I only stock the door with butter, cheese, lite beer, my meds, etc.
Compared to real Canadian beer aren't all American beers lite?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:38 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
MyronL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Edgewood, New Mexico
Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Posts: 1,710
Less filling, too.
__________________
Myron
"A billion here, a billion there...add it all up and before you know it you're talking real money." Everett Dirkson
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 04:11 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
PGDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Southern Alberta, Alberta
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Posts: 1,291
That's why I never put my porter or stout in the door compartments its to heavy and I'd cry if one broke
Cheers
Doug
__________________
Doug & Eileen
2015 Escape 5.0TA
2015 GMC Sierra Crew 4X4 6.2 8 speed
PGDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:54 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Victoria, British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 17B
Posts: 21
RM 8551 broken upper hinge

Is there an equivalent bracket for a RM 8551 fridge, the top hinge pivot broke on our last trip? Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Thanks
David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dometic RM8551.jpg (130.9 KB, 34 views)
__________________

dunnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.