Dometic RM2510 cooling issue (on electric only) - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2015, 06:39 PM   #1
ksb

Trailer: _
Dometic RM2510 cooling issue (on electric only)

This refrigerator works great on propane; we run on propane while traveling. However, when we connect to electric at a campsite, the refrigerator can't maintain the lower temp so the temp rises and then doesn't get much below 55 degrees. We eventually have to switch back to propane to maintain a lower temp. site is level, all checks indicate everything is fine.

Does it take an extended period of time for the refrigerator to work properly on electric even after it has been cooled properly for hours on propane?
ksb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:42 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
There is a separate electric heating element used when not on propane. You may need a new one.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:01 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
There is a separate electric heating element used when not on propane. You may need a new one.

I agree. The electric element is not as efficient as the propane at producing heat, but if the performance difference is that dramatic, the element probably needs to be replaced.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
What Charlie and Robert said.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:59 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While it would be nice if it is a bad heating element because it is easy to replace, another possibility is the thermostat. Replacing the thermostat requires pulling the refrigerator & an $85.00 part (plus two hours of labor). I've had mine fail twice, once so that the electric element was always on no matter where you set the dial, and once so it was always off, no matter where you set the dial. Both times the refrigerator worked fine on gas...
Old 07-10-2015, 09:05 PM   #6
ksb

this is so weird....after returning home from camping, we plugged in the electric and it works! Put a meter on it, and it reads as it should when turning the selector....go figure..

thanks for your comments, we will check into replacing the element if this problem continues....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I agree. The electric element is not as efficient as the propane at producing heat, but if the performance difference is that dramatic, the element probably needs to be replaced.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:08 PM   #7
ksb

will keep that in mind as another solution....thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
While it would be nice if it is a bad heating element because it is easy to replace, another possibility is the thermostat. Replacing the thermostat requires pulling the refrigerator & an $85.00 part (plus two hours of labor). I've had mine fail twice, once so that the electric element was always on no matter where you set the dial, and once so it was always off, no matter where you set the dial. Both times the refrigerator worked fine on gas...
Old 07-10-2015, 09:17 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksb View Post
this is so weird....after returning home from camping, we plugged in the electric and it works! Put a meter on it, and it reads as it should when turning the selector....go figure..

thanks for your comments, we will check into replacing the element if this problem continues....
I hate to point this out, but that is the way my second replacement thermostat started failing. There is a small lever that the diaphragm in the thermostat uses to push against the electrical contacts. Mine failed by sticking when the contacts opened after the refrigerator reached the set temperature. After that it would not close the contacts no matter what the diaphragm did. You have to destroy the thermostat to discover the problem, but I kept the old one to see why it failed.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:52 PM   #9

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
My fridge doesn't start when I turn it on no lights dead. Then later the light comes on but still won't start then later hour or so it starts and works fine. It's like it has to charge up but the trailer is plugged in and has been for weeks all other elect things working fine.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 12:10 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
My fridge doesn't start when I turn it on no lights dead. Then later the light comes on but still won't start then later hour or so it starts and works fine. It's like it has to charge up but the trailer is plugged in and has been for weeks all other elect things working fine.
Have you checked that all electrical connections are tight - they can loosed up from vibration. Otherwise I'd suspect the control board.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 03:08 AM   #11

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
It lit up tonight pretty sure by tomorrow it will be on -odd
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 04:22 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Gremlins.......
Old 07-11-2015, 01:30 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Have you checked that all electrical connections are tight - they can loosed up from vibration. Otherwise I'd suspect the control board.
Probably. If the control board doesn't sense sufficient voltage, the fridge won't power up.