Door hinge pin fell out and a solution - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-30-2017, 10:43 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Pismo Beach, California
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Posts: 141
Door hinge pin fell out and a solution

The pin on one of the door hinges fell out. The hinges were mounted upside down which means the pin that holds the hinge together is put in from the bottom of the hinge. So if the pin wears (which it will) it could potentially fall out and leave you with only one hinge not functioning. Just a hint you may want to keep a 5/16 bolt (about two inches long) around for just in case you loose a pin. So there are "left hand" and "right hand" hinges and ETI installed two left-handed hinges on my 5.0ta but they were used as right handed hinges (upside down pin)

There is a roll pin in the hinge that keeps the pin in but with the pin upside down the pin could fall out. One of my photos shows the roll pin (about the size of a pencil lead)

So as you can see on one of my photos the pin has been replaced with a bolt.

I found an exact replacement (found info here) except these that are stainless steel (not pop-metal chromed), wont pit and look amazing. I purchased them from Western Hardware Company in Walnut, California. They only stock the right hand ones that are used on our campers (see photo with the invoice). Item # WHCSSFH-RH and are $16 each. Not bad.

I used a little ProFlex on the holes and reinstalled the hinges. I did only one hinge at a time. The door seals look much nicer and they will last longer and look better longer.

Anyway .... worth every penny. Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170430_202017_resized - Copy (2).jpg (134.8 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 20170428_144925_resized - Copy (2).jpg (108.3 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg 20170428_144552_resized.jpg (116.3 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg 20170430_193534_resized - Copy.jpg (92.7 KB, 79 views)
__________________

CoolCampingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:52 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Posts: 302
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCampingKid View Post
The pin on one of the door hinges fell out. The hinges were mounted upside down which means the pin that holds the hinge together is put in from the bottom of the hinge. So if the pin wears (which it will) it could potentially fall out and leave you with only one hinge not functioning. Just a hint you may want to keep a 5/16 bolt (about two inches long) around for just in case you loose a pin. So there are "left hand" and "right hand" hinges and ETI installed two left-handed hinges on my 5.0ta but they were used as right handed hinges (upside down pin)

There is a roll pin in the hinge that keeps the pin in but with the pin upside down the pin could fall out. One of my photos shows the roll pin (about the size of a pencil lead)

So as you can see on one of my photos the pin has been replaced with a bolt.

I found an exact replacement (found info here) except these that are stainless steel (not pop-metal chromed), wont pit and look amazing. I purchased them from Western Hardware Company in Walnut, California. They only stock the right hand ones that are used on our campers (see photo with the invoice). Item # WHCSSFH-RH and are $16 each. Not bad.

I used a little ProFlex on the holes and reinstalled the hinges. I did only one hinge at a time. The door seals look much nicer and they will last longer and look better longer.

Anyway .... worth every penny. Bill
Thank you for sharing the door replacement hinges info.
__________________

Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:57 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SLO County, California
Trailer: 2014 21
Posts: 3,304
Hi Bill- that is the same hinge Pat posted a week or so ago; nice to know there is a better alternative from stock to stainless...definitely going to get a pair as the originals started pitting within months of new being near the ocean.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:22 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Pismo Beach, California
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Posts: 141
Hello Russue, I was trying to find the other thread but I could not. Thank you Pat for the information. I appreciate this forum and all those who contribute. Bill
CoolCampingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:33 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 5,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Hi Bill- that is the same hinge Pat posted a week or so ago; nice to know there is a better alternative from stock to stainless...definitely going to get a pair as the originals started pitting within months of new being near the ocean.
Hi Ross don't forget to make a gasket behind the hinge . I made mine out of used bike tube rubber . I cut tube rubber with a ultity knife . I think it helps to keep hindge a little more stable on the trailer body . When hinge washers started wearing out , our holes started to widen and the door started drooping I glued the bike rubber with a little silicone . There was a little problem with the original instalation of our hinges too which didn't help the situation . Top hinge wasn't inline with bottom . Those stainless hinges are really nice . Still happy . Pat
Patandlinda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:38 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 5,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCampingKid View Post
Hello Russue, I was trying to find the other thread but I could not. Thank you Pat for the information. I appreciate this forum and all those who contribute. Bill
Hi I think search "Anyone having construction problems ".Post #59 . Pat
Patandlinda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:42 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 3,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi I think search "Anyone having construction problems ".Post #59 . Pat
www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7/anyone-have-construction-problems-5605-6.html#post190656

The link is not working in Pat's post, but here it is direct to the hinges:
www.westernhardware.com/truck-hinges/stainless-steel-strap-hinge
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:00 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
fudge_brownie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Janesville, WI, Wisconsin
Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Posts: 1,433
I noticed the roll pin coming out on my upper hinge. Thank you for the correct description of that item. For the uninitiated, it is visible in the first photo that Bill posted, and is simply wedged into the hinge with the purpose of keeping the hinge pin in place. It is an item that you should check on a periodic basis as the loss of the roll pin may cause the hinge pin to fall out.

In my case, a light tapping with a hammer put the pin back in place. Will it stay in place remains to be seen, That 5/16ths bolt is probably a good idea to carry.
__________________
Paul and Janet Braun
2003 Toyota 4Runner V8 now 2012 Toyota Sequoia V8
Escape 19' 2010 now 2014 Escape 21'
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:52 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Pismo Beach, California
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
I noticed the roll pin coming out on my upper hinge. Thank you for the correct description of that item. For the uninitiated, it is visible in the first photo that Bill posted, and is simply wedged into the hinge with the purpose of keeping the hinge pin in place. It is an item that you should check on a periodic basis as the loss of the roll pin may cause the hinge pin to fall out.

In my case, a light tapping with a hammer put the pin back in place. Will it stay in place remains to be seen, That 5/16ths bolt is probably a good idea to carry.
Thanks for the links! The stainless hinge from Western does not have that little roll pin (you can see the pin on the original hinges by opening your door all the way). The new ones have the bottom of the hinge rolled over so no roll pin. Just make sure you get right hand hinges. Here's a picture of the bottom of the new hinge showing the way it is assembled. Note also how amazing the finish is on the stainless steel! These are so nice. Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170501_084945.jpg (100.5 KB, 49 views)
CoolCampingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:23 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Posts: 302
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Bill,
Did you use the exiting screws to instal the new hinges or you have to get a different size of screws. Previous posting for Lee Valley hinges indicated that Mounted using 6 #10 flat-head screws or bolts per hinge (not included) they are handed and have a non-removable stainless-steel pin. Thanks
__________________

Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.