Door hinge pin fell out and a solution - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2017, 10:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Door hinge pin fell out and a solution

The pin on one of the door hinges fell out. The hinges were mounted upside down which means the pin that holds the hinge together is put in from the bottom of the hinge. So if the pin wears (which it will) it could potentially fall out and leave you with only one hinge not functioning. Just a hint you may want to keep a 5/16 bolt (about two inches long) around for just in case you loose a pin. So there are "left hand" and "right hand" hinges and ETI installed two left-handed hinges on my 5.0ta but they were used as right handed hinges (upside down pin)

There is a roll pin in the hinge that keeps the pin in but with the pin upside down the pin could fall out. One of my photos shows the roll pin (about the size of a pencil lead)

So as you can see on one of my photos the pin has been replaced with a bolt.

I found an exact replacement (found info here) except these that are stainless steel (not pop-metal chromed), wont pit and look amazing. I purchased them from Western Hardware Company in Walnut, California. They only stock the right hand ones that are used on our campers (see photo with the invoice). Item # WHCSSFH-RH and are $16 each. Not bad.

I used a little ProFlex on the holes and reinstalled the hinges. I did only one hinge at a time. The door seals look much nicer and they will last longer and look better longer.

Anyway .... worth every penny. Bill
Attached Thumbnails
20170430_202017_resized - Copy (2).jpg   20170428_144925_resized - Copy (2).jpg   20170428_144552_resized.jpg   20170430_193534_resized - Copy.jpg  
CoolCampingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCampingKid View Post
The pin on one of the door hinges fell out. The hinges were mounted upside down which means the pin that holds the hinge together is put in from the bottom of the hinge. So if the pin wears (which it will) it could potentially fall out and leave you with only one hinge not functioning. Just a hint you may want to keep a 5/16 bolt (about two inches long) around for just in case you loose a pin. So there are "left hand" and "right hand" hinges and ETI installed two left-handed hinges on my 5.0ta but they were used as right handed hinges (upside down pin)

There is a roll pin in the hinge that keeps the pin in but with the pin upside down the pin could fall out. One of my photos shows the roll pin (about the size of a pencil lead)

So as you can see on one of my photos the pin has been replaced with a bolt.

I found an exact replacement (found info here) except these that are stainless steel (not pop-metal chromed), wont pit and look amazing. I purchased them from Western Hardware Company in Walnut, California. They only stock the right hand ones that are used on our campers (see photo with the invoice). Item # WHCSSFH-RH and are $16 each. Not bad.

I used a little ProFlex on the holes and reinstalled the hinges. I did only one hinge at a time. The door seals look much nicer and they will last longer and look better longer.

Anyway .... worth every penny. Bill
Thank you for sharing the door replacement hinges info.
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Hi Bill- that is the same hinge Pat posted a week or so ago; nice to know there is a better alternative from stock to stainless...definitely going to get a pair as the originals started pitting within months of new being near the ocean.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:22 PM   #4

Hello Russue, I was trying to find the other thread but I could not. Thank you Pat for the information. I appreciate this forum and all those who contribute. Bill
Old 04-30-2017, 11:33 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Hi Bill- that is the same hinge Pat posted a week or so ago; nice to know there is a better alternative from stock to stainless...definitely going to get a pair as the originals started pitting within months of new being near the ocean.
Hi Ross don't forget to make a gasket behind the hinge . I made mine out of used bike tube rubber . I cut tube rubber with a ultity knife . I think it helps to keep hindge a little more stable on the trailer body . When hinge washers started wearing out , our holes started to widen and the door started drooping I glued the bike rubber with a little silicone . There was a little problem with the original instalation of our hinges too which didn't help the situation . Top hinge wasn't inline with bottom . Those stainless hinges are really nice . Still happy . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCampingKid View Post
Hello Russue, I was trying to find the other thread but I could not. Thank you Pat for the information. I appreciate this forum and all those who contribute. Bill
Hi I think search "Anyone having construction problems ".Post #59 . Pat
Old 05-01-2017, 07:42 AM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi I think search "Anyone having construction problems ".Post #59 . Pat
www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7/anyone-have-construction-problems-5605-6.html#post190656

The link is not working in Pat's post, but here it is direct to the hinges:
www.westernhardware.com/truck-hinges/stainless-steel-strap-hinge
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:00 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I noticed the roll pin coming out on my upper hinge. Thank you for the correct description of that item. For the uninitiated, it is visible in the first photo that Bill posted, and is simply wedged into the hinge with the purpose of keeping the hinge pin in place. It is an item that you should check on a periodic basis as the loss of the roll pin may cause the hinge pin to fall out.

In my case, a light tapping with a hammer put the pin back in place. Will it stay in place remains to be seen, That 5/16ths bolt is probably a good idea to carry.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
I noticed the roll pin coming out on my upper hinge. Thank you for the correct description of that item. For the uninitiated, it is visible in the first photo that Bill posted, and is simply wedged into the hinge with the purpose of keeping the hinge pin in place. It is an item that you should check on a periodic basis as the loss of the roll pin may cause the hinge pin to fall out.

In my case, a light tapping with a hammer put the pin back in place. Will it stay in place remains to be seen, That 5/16ths bolt is probably a good idea to carry.
Thanks for the links! The stainless hinge from Western does not have that little roll pin (you can see the pin on the original hinges by opening your door all the way). The new ones have the bottom of the hinge rolled over so no roll pin. Just make sure you get right hand hinges. Here's a picture of the bottom of the new hinge showing the way it is assembled. Note also how amazing the finish is on the stainless steel! These are so nice. Bill
Attached Thumbnails
20170501_084945.jpg  
Old 05-01-2017, 11:23 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Bill,
Did you use the exiting screws to instal the new hinges or you have to get a different size of screws. Previous posting for Lee Valley hinges indicated that Mounted using 6 #10 flat-head screws or bolts per hinge (not included) they are handed and have a non-removable stainless-steel pin. Thanks
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:35 PM   #11

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I was unable to find the part number WHCSSFH-RH referenced above, dropped Western Hardware an Email about it, here's the response.

The WHCSSFH will default to be RH. whcssfh-rh is actually the part number but it became confusing for customers. The part actually can mount either way, we say RH as when its on the right hand side the rounded bolt is on top. It actually a universal part.

It turns up if you drop the -RH.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:01 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I was unable to find the part number WHCSSFH-RH referenced above, dropped Western Hardware an Email about it, here's the response.

The WHCSSFH will default to be RH. whcssfh-rh is actually the part number but it became confusing for customers. The part actually can mount either way, we say RH as when its on the right hand side the rounded bolt is on top. It actually a universal part.

Searching for WHCSSFH gave me no results.

Went to Truck Body Hardware>Truck Hinges and was able to find it.

Here's the link:

https://www.westernhardware.com/truc...el-strap-hinge

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2017, 05:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post

When I ordered , I talked to them on the phone was told hinge could be mounted either side right hand or left . Pat
Old 05-01-2017, 05:23 PM   #14
Site Team

These are a good find Pat. I've only got some light pitting on the stock ones, but I went ahead and ordered these for later. Who knows how long they'll be available, and I'll have a ready replacement down the road.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:25 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
These are a good find Pat. I've only got some light pitting on the stock ones, but I went ahead and ordered these for later. Who knows how long they'll be available, and I'll have a ready replacement down the road.

Well, heck, you might as well put those new beauties on and save the originals for spares!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:33 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Well, heck, you might as well put those new beauties on and save the originals for spares!
Truth be told Eric, I'll probably wind up putting them on once I see them. Maybe I shouldn't open the box.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:40 PM   #17

Quote:

Thanks Robert . Wait until to you see these . Another question just got my detachable cord set . What did you remove just the door ? What about the plastic hinge ? Pat
Old 05-01-2017, 05:41 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Truth be told Eric, I'll probably wind up putting them on once I see them. Maybe I shouldn't open the box.

But heck, being stainless, they will probably last so long you'll never need the others anyway! Go ahead - open the box....

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:52 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Thanks Robert . Wait until to you see these . Another question just got my detachable cord set . What did you remove just the door ? What about the plastic hinge ? Pat
If you're talking about the Furrion conversion kit, you remove everything from the hole - so there's just a plain hole in the fiberglass. Carefully and patiently though to avoid any scratches - that thing is caulked on there pretty good.

The mounting plate that comes with the kit will line up perfectly with the original screw holes. You can see it in this photo.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:04 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Just ordered a pair of the Stainless hinges for the door. Definitely will be a needed upgrade, they look great. I hope they have enough of these in-stock to handle the increase in orders.
Now, to the bathroom door hinges.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote