Door Lock Set for 19' - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2016, 10:34 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
I would just buy a new one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Entrance-...-/181565423883

https://www.amazon.com/products-013-...v+door+latches

https://www.amazon.com/Fastec-Indust...c+rv+door+lock
Old 06-20-2016, 12:46 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Almost one of the first things I did was go to a locksmith and have a half-dozen door keys made.

I feel your pain.
This has got to be a repeated piece of advice: As Donna said: Have extra keys made (you can guess why I emphasize this - actions of the past are a great teacher!).
First thing when we got our Escape home was to have the local locksmith make a bunch of copies (including pin locks, receiver locks, padlocks, bike locks). Then I also bought the colored sleeves for the handle end of the keys, and painted marks on the different locks to match. Made 3 copies for travel (driver, passenger, tow vehicle), and the 2 original sets of each are at home in different places, because I'll forget where one is less often that where both are!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 02:22 PM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Almost one of the first things I did was go to a locksmith and have a half-dozen door keys made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
And I envy your foresight.
It only counts if Donna didn't store all of those keys in the same place.
Maybe one key for each vehicle belongs in a safety deposit box.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:57 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Another place to identify the lock that might work is at a large RV dealer. The last time I dropped off my trailer that told me to lock it, but don't bother giving them the key - they had master keys for all the door locks from the different manufacturers.

Kind of doesn't surprise me since my CH751 key that came with my Escape opens all the outside compartment access doors I've ever tried it in, no matter who the manufacturer.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:32 PM   #25

I agree that it may be worth checking with an RV service shop for a master key, or at least to identify the lock cylinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
... my CH751 key that came with my Escape opens all the outside compartment access doors I've ever tried it in, no matter who the manufacturer.
Jon, you haven't tried my motorhome, although it would fit the outside compartments on my fifth-wheel trailer.

The CH751 marking indicates a stupidly common key pattern for one particular style of lock cylinder; the style of cylinder is available from multiple manufacturers and is used in both RVs and office furniture (and probably other types of cabinet), typically for cam locks. They're so common that one supplier of replacement locks even uses ch751.com as their web site address. It is not universal: there are many other lock cylinder styles, even within cam locks.

The CH751 (that cylinder style, and specifically keyed to this particular pattern) is so common that my motorhome came with one of these keys, even though none of the locks (of 8 different types) in the unit are the type which this key fits. Damon must have just automatically put a CH751 key in every set, regardless of the actual RV equipment.

If the lack of security of the CH751-keyed locks is a concern, you can just buy a set of replacement cylinders, keyed alike but to anything other than the CH751 pattern; they're about US$7 each (from various suppliers, e.g. RVLocksandmore.com). It appears that in some cases you can even match these cam locks to the entrance door, reducing the number of different keys required for the trailer, and still not having any which match the key on everybody else's keyring.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:28 PM   #26

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Thanks, everyone I really appreciate the help. It's a Bauer and I too had the foresight to write-down the key code. RVLocksandmore.com has them precut for $3.25 each. I have 4 on order! A lesson learned I suppose. Again, thanks to all of you
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:42 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We would have had a keyless push button entry lock but one could not fit with the mould rise on both sides of that area. Maybe the new moulds do not have that situation.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:06 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
We would have had a keyless push button entry lock but one could not fit with the mould rise on both sides of that area. Maybe the new moulds do not have that situation.
The new style body apparently uses a Lippert door. Lippert offers a keyless entry option:

Even if Escape cannot supply the door with a keyless entry lock, it seems likely that an aftermarket upgrade would fit.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:31 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Thanks, everyone I really appreciate the help. It's a Bauer and I too had the foresight to write-down the key code. RVLocksandmore.com has them precut for $3.25 each. I have 4 on order! A lesson learned I suppose. Again, thanks to all of you
Hi: Zardoz... Now you have all the wheels set in motion...you can go ahead and find the lost keys!!! When I lost mine they where just where I tossed them. The "Alf shelf" Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:55 PM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Door Lock Set for 19'

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post

That's definitely an issue. The Bauer NE might fit the Escape door. The cutout is the same, and the keypad portion of the handle is slightly raised from the surface.

I think the RVLock version 4 May fit as well, that is, if the keypad area doesn't have to fit flush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2016, 11:26 PM   #31

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Good for you ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:09 AM   #32

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I'm going to make some copies of my keys!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:37 AM   #33

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
I'm going to make some copies of my keys!
If there is a key code number on your key (like the Bauer keys), see if RVLocksAndMore Catalog | RV Locks | RV Keys | Fastec FIC Locks and Keys has them already pre made.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:42 AM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
If there is a key code number on your key (like the Bauer keys), see if RVLocksAndMore Catalog | RV Locks | RV Keys | Fastec FIC Locks and Keys has them already pre made.
Another good thing about these 'original' keys, is that the cut of them is very often better than that done in a hardware store, resulting in smoother action in use.

I always tell customers to save at least one of the original keys that came with a lock set to make copies from in the future. Put this key to the side and do not use it. I am sure almost everyone has had a key that is a third or further generation cut from the original, and though still may work, often has to be wiggled around to do so. Not only are there small errors made when cutting some times, but keys wear, and this wear is then carried on to successive key cuts.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:21 AM   #35

Trailer: 2014
Just keep in mind that most rv locks are mastered and almost any dealer can open them for you.
jackfavor is offline   Reply With Quote