Door Window - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2014, 09:49 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
beautiful….
Old 01-05-2014, 09:55 AM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Doug, I've typically used lead came. I have a stretcher and with the outside shape of the window, it will require curves. Depending on the thickness of the glass, I can use from 5/32" to 1/2". What do you think? The only visual I've had, where I seriously looked at the window was Dave&Kathie's new 21' But, it's double-pane and the inside gasket covers all the channels. So, I don't know what to expect until I can actually see one without the gasket. I know on my Scamp window, the lead came fits into the channel typically reserved for the screen.

Beautiful windows BTW!!!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:15 AM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I only used lead came once, on a circular piece (picture below for those who like looking at these things). It doesn't provide much strength, because the lead itself is so soft. It does protect the edges of the glass, but that's not really what you want here.

Thinking about it, I don't feel you need a great deal of strength. We don't slam our trailer door the way a house door some times gets slammed. Yeah there's lots of vibration, but as long as your solder joints are good I would expect them to be resilient enough for that, particularly since the piece isn't hanging but is inset in a frame.

What I might try is soldering a piece of copper reinforcing strip around the outside of the piece instead of channel or came. For example: https://www.armstrongglass.com/prodd...205100&cat=248. Stronger than nothing, but not as thick as came or channel. If you've never worked with this stuff, it's basically a strip of copper that is thicker than foil, but still a little bit flexible. You normally place it between two foil lines through the middle of your piece and solder it in. It provides quite a bit of strength against bending across the plane of the stained glass. If you solder it around the outside of your piece, you should get a lot of strength from it.

I would prefer to work with channel (if it even fit), but you're right that the window requires curves. And not a simple circle like my piece below. I don't know if it would be possible to curve channel to fit that shape. Certainly it would be beyond me...
Attached Thumbnails
dscn1187.jpg  

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:25 AM   #24
Site Team

Cool beans Doug. Thanks for the link to the copper restrip. I've got it bookmarked! Ya'll know how this goes... excitment and dreams build. Based on when I'll (hopefully) pickup my 5er, I won't even get around to building the window until next winter. Everyone needs a good winter project, right. Besides, it's going to take me that long to save/budget for the glass
Old 01-05-2014, 12:10 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
I'm not to sure what the air space is between the 2 panes of glass on the door unit, but when I was working as a glazier we on occasion would have someone bring in a piece of strain glass artwork and we would build a sealed unit and install it between the inner and outer panes. This would be the only way it could be used as an exterior window as we would seal desiccant into the unit to stop it from fogging up. Most good glass shops will do this for you and as you can't ride in the trailer while in motion that means (here in Canada anyway) that tempered glass is not required.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:13 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Good point, Doug, there are different rules for 5th vs travel trailers
Arizona, Colorado, Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Jersey, North Carolina, North Dakota, West Virginia allow riders in Fifth Wheel trailers throughout their state borders, according to Wide World RV Center and Towing World.

California, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Dakota permit riders providing there is an audio or visual device connecting passengers in the Fifth Wheel and the driver of the towing vehicle.

California law requires that Fifth Wheel trailers have safety glass, seat belts and a minimum of one exit that can be opened from the exterior and interior. Oregon requires an exit in the Fifth Wheel that can be opened from the exterior and interior. Pennsylvania and South Dakota require safety glass in the Fifth Wheel trailer.

Wisconsin requires that there be verbal communication connecting passengers in the Fifth Wheel with occupants in the towing vehicle and prohibits children under 12 from riding in the RV unless a a person 16 years or older is riding with the younger children, according to Siren, Wisconsin's, FAQs.

Kansas allows riders 14 or older in the Fifth Wheel.

Read more: Laws About Riding in Fifth Wheel Trailers | eHow
Old 01-05-2014, 05:10 PM   #27

Trailer: 2001 Bigfoot 21RB/ 73Boler/Trillium 5500
Do you do custom windows in stained glass? I never knew that until now you have been keeping it a secret.
Chuck
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:28 PM   #28
Site Team

Chuck, you've never seen the door window I made for my Scamp? You've got to check it out at Spring NOG. Nothing special. Just a simple design in primary colors. But, I like it and it certainly adds some color.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:30 PM   #29

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Would love to see a picture of that ! Have never seen that in a trailer .......Love the ones shown , very pretty !
Old 01-05-2014, 07:40 PM   #30
Site Team

Ann has made several windows for Casitas. There's several threads on the CasitaForum... for those that are members.

Be one of one, not one of many!
Old 01-11-2014, 10:09 AM   #31
Site Team

Could someone... where it's not rainy and windy do me a favor, please. I need the outside glass measurement of the door window. The pattern I started won't work, it's too big. I can't scale it down because that would be too much copper and not enough glass. This is what I need:
Name:  Window.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  27.0 KB

It's rainy and windy in PDX, may as well start sketching again while waiting for the first NFL playoff game to start.

TIA, I really appreciate it!
Old 01-11-2014, 10:16 AM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Assuming the windows in a 17 are the same size, my measure 13 11/16" high by 7 11/16" wide. That is the measurement of the glass between the rubber seals along the edge - the glass, of course, is larger than that. Frame to frame (skipping the rubber seal) it is 14" X 8".
Old 01-11-2014, 10:20 AM   #33
Site Team

Thanks Jon! I'll pull up the brochure for the 17' and compare it to the 21' (which is where I got the window image.. from the 5er concept.. really). But, I don't think ETI has changed the mold for the door or the window.

Thanks again... and it must be nice to be where it's dry and warm!
Old 01-11-2014, 11:57 AM   #34

Trailer: none
If it is of help, here is the measurement of the window in our 2008 5.0:
Glass - not including black frame: 13 5/8 x 7 5/8
Glass and black framing - 15 1/8 x 9 1/8
The second measurement was made INSIDE and measured the maximum width and height of the channel.
Sounds like the windows might be a tiny bit larger now.....
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:15 PM   #35

Trailer: Escape
2013 Escape 19 with thermal windows
The exposed glass (between the window gaskets) outside of door
13 3/4" H x 7 3/4" W
Old 01-11-2014, 01:10 PM   #36
Site Team

Y'all are the best. Close is good enough. The original drawing was for a window more square... WHAT was I thinking? I'll be able to fill the outside when I finally get the actual window in my hands. Right now, I'll concentrate on the internal design.