Door Window - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2014, 07:20 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Door Window

I know it's Saturday or I could contact ETI. But, has anyone ever ordered their trailer with a single pane, clear glass, non-opening door window? I make stained glass windows, etc. and have a plan for the door window of my 5er. I've been working on the design most of the day today. But, it will require a single pane, clear glass window. I'm ordering my 5er with dual pane windows, but would forgo this one window dual pane if I can get it.

Anyone?

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Seems to me we were asked about venting or none venting ,as the venting door window could get damaged if the door were to fly open and hit the awning supports ( that's on the 15 ) .

Old 01-04-2014, 08:43 PM   #3
Site Team

I'm just asking about clear, single pane, non-opening, door window. I've looked at all the brochures on the ETI site, all the pictures posted on Visual Escape and even let the ETI web site cycle through all those pics. Can't see anything like I'm asking. That's why I brought it to the forum...
Old 01-04-2014, 08:48 PM   #4

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
There was a choice of clear or obscure , if double glazing is still an option rather the standard .......maybe they have that ..... That would be pretty !
Old 01-04-2014, 08:50 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Donna,
The door window and the opening bath window are the same size and I thought hard about having Escape install the opening window in the door vs adding another hole in the bath. But Reace is now insulating the door if you get the insulation package and installing a dual pane window in the door, thus eliminating a major weakness in the insulation feature. I highly recommend you not change that set up. In my other 19' the door really got cold because it was not insulated and I asked Reace to start insulating the door as part of the insulation package and he agreed, Since the bath is single pane, why not work on it?
Old 01-04-2014, 08:52 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeck View Post
There was a choice of clear or obscure , if double glazing is still an option rather the standard .......maybe they have that ..... That would be pretty !
Cool! Thanks that's what I was asking. I was afraid all the door windows came frosted, whether single or dual pane. I'll check with ETI on Monday. Although it wouldn't be the first time I re-worked an all molded door window to suit my needs. You'd be surprised what can be accomplished with the heel of a boot and a hack saw

Jim, I'm not interested in a stained glass window in the bathroom. Remember, on the 5er the bathroom is on the drivers side. A stained glass window added to a single pane window can, in effect, make a dual pane window without the gas.

It's a really small area when you look at the rest of the trailer.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:52 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Just wondering how a stain-glass window would hold up in travel.
Used to have a stain-glass door in the house ( flimsy frame ). It fell apart quite readily from opening and closing the door.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:54 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Just wondering how a stain-glass window would hold up in travel.
Used to have a stain-glass door in the house ( flimsy frame ). It fell apart quite readily from opening and closing the door.
I have a feeling these are not true hand made soldered windows, but appliqués over standard glass.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:57 PM   #9

Trailer: ?
I don't remember paying attention to the door window but I would try for double (insulated) clear glass and add your stained glass. That way you get the brightness of the clear glass to make the stained glass look good and the insulation of the double.

And use the high strength VHB tape discussed elsewhere on this forum to attach your stained glass to the window.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:58 PM   #10
Site Team

If stained glass is done properly... not that crap from Mexico, they'll last for years against all kinds of conditions. Properly soldered windows are as strong as full sheets of glass.