Double bed in 17B - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2010, 08:50 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Re: Double bed in 17B

Another thing to consider: having the hinges on the bathroom door placed on the right(on the 17B) for an unobstructed night run to the bathroom.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:24 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L
Another thing to consider: having the hinges on the bathroom door placed on the right(on the 17B) for an unobstructed night run to the bathroom.
I have to disagree. When I'm camping with a buddy and I've got the single bed at the front, I don't disturb him by turning on the light since the door blocks the light. The door also serves to block the light when Les and I are in the double at the back, although she can sleep through anything.

baglo
Old 11-19-2010, 10:34 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

I was going on the idea that the two of them would be in the double bed (large dinette). I also forgot to mention that I have an outlet below the stove top in which is plugged a night light I have thought about putting just one of those no-so-bright inside the bathroom to avoid that very thing. I'm often in the dark anyway.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:45 PM   #24

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape

The light from our factory stereo is enough light for me to get up to the bathroom...Heck Doug is sleeping and I leave the door open....
FWIW I never turn the light on at home either--nightlight in hall is enough--I don't want to wake up!!!!
Old 11-19-2010, 10:46 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 19 foot

Wow, you folks are so helpful! Thanks for all the comments! Night bathroom visits are a definite fact of life for this "mature" couple, so these seemingly small matter are worth thinking on. We had a lovely visit with Bob and Irene today and were treated to an exhaustive tour of "Winter" (Escape). Many helpful observations by Bob and we were blown away by the quality of the workmanship on the unit and the possibility of customizing our own egg. Pending a powwow with my sweetie tomorrow or Sunday, I hope to be contacting Tammy to put in a deposit on a 17B! Could I be more excited?
Old 11-19-2010, 10:48 PM   #26

I've got a battery operated LED "puck" light stuck to the wall just inside the door of the bathroom. I can find it in the dark ( the trouble with a flashlight is you need one to find one ). It's not as bright as the factory light, but enough for the job or so you can find the switch for the factory light. I've got a couple others inside cupboards, like above the fridge. Wide variety of these at Canadian Tire.

baglo
Old 11-19-2010, 10:58 PM   #27

The lights I have are Sylvania Dot.It
Noma also sells several models.
Available at any home hardware store.

I have a couple that swivel and you only have to brush your hand against them to turn them on or off. Others you push like a button.

Only thing to watch for is that you should be able to take the light down and change the battery easily. First one I had required a mini screwdriver to open the battery door and was held up with double-sided adhesive ( which covered the battery door ). That dumb design has been improved upon with Velcro and a sliding battery door.

baglo
Old 11-20-2010, 10:11 AM   #28

We have one of those "crank" lanterns that are led - doesn't need batteries, although you can put in 2 AAA.. Anyway it has 1 small led that's a night light, more than enough light to see your way, but not enough to be a bother when sleeping.. works out perfectly.. a couple of "cranks" is more than enough to get you through the night

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:39 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 19 foot

Jerry,
Thanks for the warnings about the rivets! This kind of info saves us a lot of research...
Beaver (Arthur)
Old 11-20-2010, 07:42 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: All... I found a 4 watt bulb in the auto/trailer section at TSC. I simply took out the 8 watt one in the bathroom fixture... and exchanged it. No more spots in my eyes.
We use an LED nightlight when plugged into shore power and the little green indicator light on the propane detector does the rest.
Most times I feel like a "Mushroom". Kept in the dark...and fed lots of horses doovers.
It's amazing how little light you need in the dark!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:49 PM   #31

Trailer: 17

On the other side of the coin, A legion of airstream owners might consider rivet construction method superior.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:10 PM   #32

Ask Jeff how many times he took his Airstream Bambi in for rivet replacement ( under warranty ). Still, if they can make aircraft that way, you'd think they'd have it nailed by now.

baglo
Old 11-29-2010, 12:56 AM   #33

Hi: gocamp... While your at it ask how much damage was caused by one tire blowout!!! I'm not knocking aluminium or rivets but...when you can see outside thru the rivet because the mandrels have fallen out of their center... thats a problem too!!! Alf
Old 11-29-2010, 06:42 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo
Ask Jeff how many times he took his Airstream Bambi in for rivet replacement ( under warranty ). Still, if they can make aircraft that way, you'd think they'd have it nailed by now.

baglo
Yep.. we either lost a couple of rivets on our travels. They were on the inside skin..the outer are more heavy duty and seem to really hold up. The Airstream warranty is excellent 2 years bumper to bumper.

My guess was they either flawed when they were put in or the jostling/expanding/contracting of the AS popped them out or sheared them off. They are pretty easy to fix though, of course you need a rivet gun.

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:18 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaver
Jerry,
Thanks for the warnings about the rivets! This kind of info saves us a lot of research...
Beaver (Arthur)
As a former Casita owner (can't speak for Scamps, of course), I'm happy to have an Escape with many fewer rivets (its still got 'em...just not dotted all over the surface) and would never go back. In Casita's defense however, I never has a single leak from a rivet after many years of enjoyable camping. I had a couple of rivets pop from torsional stresses, but they were easily replaced, and a daub of silicon sealant in the original hole and a liberal coating on the rivet resulted in a leak-free job.

My recommendation is 100% in favor of the Escape, but the Casita served as a good second-best, with scores of happy owners.

Dave
Old 11-29-2010, 09:27 PM   #36
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

I'm definitely in the Escape wannabe camp, but my 1988 Scamp has never had a leak from a rivet. It's a maintenance issue just like windows, vents and weep holes in the window frames. Keeping the rivet caps tight is the solution.

But isn't it nice y'all Escape owners have one less thing to worry about
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:52 PM   #37

Hi: All... I can add that our '77 Boler leaked so bad I had to remove water several times from behind the Ensolite with a syringe. I believe it came in thru the awning rail rivets and down the wall. The bulge was so big as to be visible and held about 1/2 cup of water.
Escape uses the same style awning rail system but I'm banking on it not leaking for at least 30 yrs. By then I'll be glad to look at it... or anything else for that matter!!! Alf