Drag Chain - Tire Chain Discussion - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2014, 01:21 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Finally some clarity. "Drag Chains" are simply tire chains for the trailer wheels. They are called "drag chains" because the trailer is "dragged" down the road. My idea that they somehow dragged on the ground is, as others have pointed out, wrong.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:17 PM   #22

That said, I am certain I read somewhere in the regulations of Calif, Oregon or Washington that chains should be affixed to the axle of the trailer, not the wheels-go figure.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
That said, I am certain I read somewhere in the regulations of Calif, Oregon or Washington that chains should be affixed to the axle of the trailer, not the wheels-go figure.
Not attached to the axle itself, but associated with the tires on one axle -- at least in California. Some adjacent states have similar rules. I've attached their "chain chart" for your reference.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf chainchart.pdf (45.1 KB, 29 views)
Old 09-02-2014, 07:47 PM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Take this for what it's worth, but I live in Northern Oregon, along the Columbia River gorge. Lots of traffic, lots of snow/ice in the winter and plenty of wind. I can't remember seeing any vehicle with chains hanging from an axle. The big rigs typically have big 'hooks' about midway on the trailer(s)with chains hanging there during the winter.

And what I know about torsion axles on trailers, there's NO WAY I'd hang something that would hang down from the axle and possible hook on road debris and/or bash the underneath. I'd stay home and driveway camp first. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:20 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 19' hatch date Feb. 27
Has anyone here on the forum ever used chains on the tires of their Escape? I would hesitate to put chains on the trailer tires just because of the the possibility of the chains coming loose and coming in contact with the fiberglass wheel wells, eek, YMMV
ADKzookeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:44 PM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKzookeeper View Post
Has anyone here on the forum ever used chains on the tires of their Escape? I would hesitate to put chains on the trailer tires just because of the the possibility of the chains coming loose and coming in contact with the fiberglass wheel wells, eek, YMMV
There are some areas in the western US where 'chain zones' are established during at least part of the winter. Trailer chains and a max speed (usually 25 mph) are mandatory in these zones. Personally, I wouldn't pull my trailer in one. I'd turn around.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:20 AM   #27

Quote:
And what I know about torsion axles on trailers, there's NO WAY I'd hang something that would hang down from the axle and possible hook on road debris and/or bash the underneath. I'd stay home and driveway camp first. YMMV
I can't either. We will purchase them in order to comply with the laws of the states that require them but will store them inside the Rav4. We will use them infrequently if ever.

Anyone know of a popular forum for Western snomobiling? I might see what those folks do about drag chains.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:46 AM   #28

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
We will purchase them in order to comply with the laws of the states that require them but will store them inside the Rav4. We will use them infrequently if ever.

Anyone know of a popular forum for Western snomobiling? I might see what those folks do about drag chains.
Although tire chains (not anything dragging on the road) are required in some conditions on the mountain highways of British Columbia, I have not noticed them in use on any of the dozens (maybe hundreds) of snowmobile trailers that I have seen in the BC Central Interior and Revelstoke/Golden areas. Maybe they are carried.

For comparison, heavy commercial trucks are also required to have chains, and they do carry them, but I can't remember the last time I saw those used, either. One season of watching Ice Road Truckers or Highway Thru Hell will probably show more use of tire chains than a decade of driving actual mountain highways in normal winter conditions.

I agree with the others that suggested that if the chains are on the truck tires, the travel trailer probably shouldn't be on the road. Legally, though, carrying chains may be required.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:17 AM   #29

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I travel in bc with a 26 foot enclosed trailer to the areas that we snomobile in and have studded winter tires on the truck but standard tires on the trailer. We don't carry chains although I have seen guys with them for the truck in the stagging area parking lots. I have never seen any on the trailers. Ushually there is enough weight on the truck and in the trailer and most of the trucks are 4wd that traction isn't really a problem. The only isues I have seen is with guys using trucks with dual rear wheels, the traction with a dually is not good.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:46 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave macrae View Post
the traction with a dually is not good.
I'll say. Our negative experience with a dual axle Chinook three winters ago in BC and elsewhere is what brought us to the Escape in the first place.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:35 AM   #31

Quote:
I'll say. Our negative experience with a dual axle Chinook three winters ago in BC and elsewhere is what brought us to the Escape in the first place.
They are really bad on Ice and Snow, Most of the guys that know what they are doing will use a single rear wheel 1 ton or 3/4 ton.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:03 PM   #32

Trailer: 2012 15A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

For comparison, heavy commercial trucks are also required to have chains, and they do carry them, but I can't remember the last time I saw those used, either. One season of watching Ice Road Truckers or Highway Thru Hell will probably show more use of tire chains than a decade of driving actual mountain highways in normal winter conditions.

In the last 2 or 3 years I have seen commercial trucks lined up on the highway putting on tire chains. And I don't do a lot of winter travel on those highways.

One occasion was eastbound on the Trans Canada Highway at Field. At first I thought there was an accident seeing all those trucks pulling over on the flats. Chains were mandatory on that occasion before climbing the steep hill to the east. Chains were coming off at the top of the hill.

The second occasion was the northbound traffic on the Coquihalla Highway just south of the snow shed area. All commercial trucks had to chain up. There were flashing lights everywhere on tow trucks and police cars. There even had a large tow truck pulling some of the trucks up the hill.

Chains are used on the highways here.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:44 PM   #33

[QUOTE=JohnB;65396]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

In the last 2 or 3 years I have seen commercial trucks lined up on the highway putting on tire chains. And I don't do a lot of winter travel on those highways.

One occasion was eastbound on the Trans Canada Highway at Field. At first I thought there was an accident seeing all those trucks pulling over on the flats. Chains were mandatory on that occasion before climbing the steep hill to the east. Chains were coming off at the top of the hill.

The second occasion was the northbound traffic on the Coquihalla Highway just south of the snow shed area. All commercial trucks had to chain up. There were flashing lights everywhere on tow trucks and police cars. There even had a large tow truck pulling some of the trucks up the hill.

Yes they are but I have never seen them on anything other than commercial tractor trailers
Old 09-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
When I drove a school bus in California we used chains regularly - any time the the chain sign was turned they were mandatory on a school bus. The mandatory 25 mph speed limit in a chain control area was ignored by way too many drivers.

We used both "drop down" (Onspot - The Automatic Tire Chain) and regular chains. We only had to chain the outside rear tires on the dually drive axle.

The drop downs were good for light snow - but not anything heavy or sticky.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:38 PM   #35

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
A few winters ago I saw chains on the rear of a front wheel drive car in Langley----I guess you'd call those "drag chains"

Then there's Snoqualmie Pass in Washington. Signs everywhere to chain up. No snow on the ground, underground, above ground---well you get the picture---and people were pulling over in droves to chain up. We spent most of our trip passing.

We're thinking about traveling to the Grand Canyon in March with our new 19'---will we need chains and or careful route planning?
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:55 PM   #36

Maybee I should have some chains for the Yukon for our trip over the coquhalla in November
Old 09-03-2014, 03:57 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
...The second occasion was the northbound traffic on the Coquihalla Highway just south of the snow shed area. All commercial trucks had to chain up. There were flashing lights everywhere on tow trucks and police cars. There even had a large tow truck pulling some of the trucks up the hill.

Yes, they are used, and this is a good typical example. I was just trying to say that it's rare: in normal winter conditions which account for the vast majority of the time, the chain-up areas are not in use, just as there are no flashing lights of emergency vehicles. I have watched two seasons of Highway Thru Hell and would recognize the Jamie Davis tow truck fleet, but I've never actually seen their equipment in use as I've driven past their base in Hope.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:03 PM   #38

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
We used to put on chains during bad weather in the mountains but ive never put chains on a trailer i would not want to tow in those conditions
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:54 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
In case anyone is curious, that's presumably Kicking Horse Pass, on the BC/Alberta border. The chain-up location is typically a specifically set up and marked area, and the chain-off area is typically not at the top of the hill, but well down the other side, since chains are needed for braking as well as climbing.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:17 PM   #40

One of our favorite places to ski in BC is Kootenay Pass where chain up conditions frequently exist.