Driving while running the fridge on propane - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2015, 08:51 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I almost always have it on, as we switch from electric to propane in the drive before leaving, and leave it on until we get home, as we need to run on propane while camping.

I recently saw a thread on another RV site while searching something about propane. I can't remember now what I was searching, and I can't find the thread again. Basically, the OP asked folks to honestly answer a few questions, the first was who ran with propane on, and it was the vast majority. And of those that did, who turned it off when refuelling, and it was pretty mostly those that had a switch to use to do so. Most argued that it is not even posted to turn off propane when refuelling, and to be honest, I don't think I have ever seen a sign saying to do so. Ferries and tunnels requiring it to be off do have signs posted to do so.

In the vein of being honest, I very rarely (okay, pretty much never) turn off my fridge when refuelling, partially because I never actually think about it.
I wonder about the actual risk of the fridge running on LP when filling our tow vehicle with gas.

I would guess that this sample Jim mentioned is most likely correct about % of people. Even with the huge numbers of various RVs on the road, I personally have never read of a fire or explosion at a service station caused by an RV with a fridge running on LP. (Anyone else?)

Given that the flame is shielded, after watching Mythbusters in various episodes with them trying to cause explosions, it seems like the only way for a fire or explosion to happen would be gas actually spilling onto the fridge compartment, seemingly quite unlikely with our trailers being well behind the gas inlet of our tow vehicles.

Makes me wonder if any sort of real world testing has even been done, of it this is just one of those things that sounds like a good safety idea?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:19 AM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
This topic is one of those where methinks the propane travelers will continue to travel with propane on and the non propane travelers will continue to not and never the twain shall meet. We have always travelled with propane fridge on and will continue to do so unless we go out in a bang like Alf. So far to date never heard of losing a molded fiberglass enthusiast to an explosive demise. Worse thing would be using the potty while fueling if it blew......
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:30 AM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
This topic is one of those where methinks the propane travelers will continue to travel with propane on and the non propane travelers will continue to not and never the twain shall meet. We have always travelled with propane fridge on and will continue to do so unless we go out in a bang like Alf. So far to date never heard of losing a molded fiberglass enthusiast to an explosive demise. Worse thing would be using the potty while fueling if it blew......
Hi: Greg A... I'm no chemistry whiz but I wouldn't want a test ride on a methane/propane powered bowl. Twain or no twain!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:44 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
When refueling and towing with propane on, I always take the closest pump and leave the trailer and the source at least 15 feet away from the fumes. I'm more afraid of the smokers who have a cigarette in their mouth while refueling.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:50 AM   #25

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Makes me wonder if any sort of real world testing has even been done, of it this is just one of those things that sounds like a good safety idea?
National Fire Protection Association has indeed conducted testing. Their standards are based on real-world testing of a variety of scenarios, staged accidents, etc., that are much of the basis for their standards (they burn up lots of stuff!).

NFPA 30A (Motor Fuel Dispensing..) and 58 (LP Gas Code) are among them.
Neither mention shutting off tank valves, but both address removing ignition sources within 20 feet of dispensing. The most obvious hazard is fuel spills. I have seen modern, automatic shut-off dispenser nozzles fail to shut off, with 1 or 2 gallons of gasoline on the ground; so it is a real possible hazard.

By the way, the International Fire Code, the model Code for many jurisdictions in North America, references NFPA 30 and 58 as standards.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:30 PM   #26

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
When using the fridge I typically let it cool down for several hours using electricity, then travel with the fridge running on propane, and shift back to electrical where it's available.

Regards,

Matt
Old 09-09-2015, 02:27 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
We are packing today, leaving tomorrow. Four days with no services, no corner stores.
I have frozen a small sirloin roast to cook in my new BBQ. It will go in the fridge while we travel to help keep fridge chilled. Might leave a frozen half chicken in the fridge as well. Which ever thaws first is for dinner.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:19 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
My money's on the chicken!
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:03 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Now static electricity? That can actually cause a fire in low humidity locations like Colorado.
I used to live in Michigan, and there was an explosion at a gas station caused by static electricity. Someone refilled a 5 gallon can of gas while it was on the truck bed rather than on the ground. The resulting static discharge blew up the gas can, and also the propane tank next to it which was launched across the road by the explosion.

Always put a gas can on the ground before refilling it.

And I always turn off my propane tanks, just in case. 12v seems to keep my fridge cool enough. On my old trailer, which had a 2-way fridge, I added an inverter so I could keep it working while traveling. And that was before I had solar. Worked fine.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:26 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Well, thanks everyone for sharing all these thoughts...it's very helpful. I agree that if you cool down your fridge long enough (I usually do overnight) it can stay cool for a surprisingly long time if you refrain from opening it. It depends on the outside temp, of course. And I tend to put the first frozen items to be eaten in the fridge, like Gbaglo does.

I think I'll feel comfortable running the fridge, at least part of the time, if the drive is long. Shutting it off to fuel seems easy enough with the push of a button, since I'm usually in the trailer getting a snack for my kiddos or some such thing anyway. (Though we are doing the 2-door Dometic replacement, and I think you now have to open the door to push the buttons?? Our current fridge buttons are on top and don't require opening the door.)

The idea of having a bad accident and the propane igniting is certainly scary, and we'll sure hope that never happens!

Thanks again for all the replies, I appreciate it!
lisa
FamilyFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:42 AM   #31

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I've been trying to see if my propane tanks are low but I cannot tell if it has switched to the other tank. I thought something would turn red and switch over to the full side I don't see any indicator how do you know which side it's on or if it's getting empty? I haven't really messed with it since I bought the trailer (other then just turning them off and on).
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:58 AM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
The tank that is drawn from is the first one opened, and if and when empty, it will automatically transfer over to the other tank, as long as that valve was opened too. All the red/green indicator does, is tell you whether there is propane left in the bottle that the indicator is pointed too. There is no way of telling fill level with this indicator.

In practice what I do is to always open the valve first of the bottle the indicator is pointing to, then open the other valve. As soon as I notice that bottle is empty (I usually check when hooking up, and if not when I open that tank the next time, I will see the indicator is red), and the supply transfers to the other bottle, I switch the indicator lever over to the other tank which is now supplying the propane to the trailer. I then fill the empty bottle at my earliest convenience. This way, I never run out of propane, well, as long as I am diligent with the refill.

If you follow this procedure, there is no need to tell what the actual level of a tank is, as when the second one takes over, you still have a long time before it runs out, giving you a long window to fill the empty one.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:10 AM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
In addition to Jim's excellent post, this might help some:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...-but-5890.html
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:23 AM   #34

Trailer: Escape 17B, April 2014
Quote:
The tank that is drawn from is the first one opened, <<snip>>
Not quite right.
Regardless of which valve is opened first, so long as both valves are open, the tank that the little black handle is pointing to will be drawn from first, if it still contains propane.
If the indicator is green, propane is still being drawn from the tank the handle is pointing to. If the indicator is red, the "first" tank is empty, and now propane is being drawn from the tank the handle is pointing away from.
KLRchickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:40 AM   #35

Trailer: 2014 E21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
You do ( legally ) have to shut off propane on ferries and prior to entering some tunnels.
After reading this, I remembered that I hadn't turned off the propane whilst crossing Lake Champlain this summer. I just confirmed with Lake Champlain Transportation that "We don’t require that they [i.e., propane tanks] be turned off. As long as the tank is in good condition and secured, it will be fine."
I understand that BC Ferries (and perhaps others) are different.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:45 AM   #36

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Note the sentence "Slowly open both cylinder valves" which is key to getting the propane to flow in the first place...
Attached Thumbnails
Propane Regulator.jpg  
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:47 AM   #37

Yeah, I kinda worded and put things in the wrong order. As mentioned, I always open the one the indicator handle is pointing to, thus my meaning of the one opened first is where the primary draw comes from. Not much of a wordsmith, am I?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-10-2015, 11:00 AM   #38

Trailer: Escape 17B, April 2014
Quote:
Yeah, I kinda worded and put things in the wrong order. As mentioned, I always open the one the indicator handle is pointing to, thus my meaning of the one opened first is where the primary draw comes from. Not much of a wordsmith, am I?
Jim, I did quite a bit of research into how these valves work when we were having trouble with a faulty one this spring. Exactly what you wrote is a _very_common mis-conception, so I thought it a good idea to correct it here.
KLRchickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:10 PM   #39

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
where is the indicator ? i have not found it yet?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:15 PM   #40

It is right on top of the regulator. On my phone right now, can post a photo later.