Drymesh or hypervent under matress - Page 10 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2017, 08:25 PM   #181

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom W View Post

We also use a Caframo Air Dryer to keep humidity down during storage. It uses less than 100 watts.

That sounds like a great solution if it's enough in your climate. The nice thing is that it eliminates the need to deal with the condensate, although if you drill a hole into the collection bin of one of the Eva-Dry or similar dehumidifiers and drain via a hose to the gray water tank it should be almost as easy. It should take quite a while to fill the gray tank. A 75 watt dehumidifier is going to heat the space by 75 watts and as a bonus you get the dehumidification, so it's doubly effective, but perhaps 100 watts is good enough for many/most people? Only real world experience would tell.

Another option I thought of was just using a 100 watt electric blanket during storage. I like dual use solutions. I think the fan on that unit isn't critical provided the blanket doesn't heat to a point where it combusts or breaks down.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:33 PM   #182

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Forgive me if someone has already addressed this in the 174 previous posts and I missed it, but with ETI putting a coil-spring base mattress in their 2017 models (at least in our new 21'), how important is adding breathing room under the mattress (like the Ikea slats)? It seems that air should be able to move fairly freely in and around the mattress's coil spring base to minimize moisture build-up under there. Insight or thoughts?
I don't know what this coil mattress it looks like, but that seems like a good bet providing air can vent out the sides of the mattress.

I remember seeing a thread about this and the conclusion was that the spring mattress solved the condensation issues.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:36 PM   #183

Trailer: 2010 Escape 15A
Hypervent has worked great for me in both my U-haul and now my Escape. Never had an issue with condensation throughout every season.
kkinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:08 PM   #184

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "base". We have a mattress with coil springs that sits on a plywood platform. The mattress is asymmetrical and the bottom is covered with a vinyl material. I don't think that there would be a reduction in moisture because of the coil springs because the bottom covering doesn't give the impression of being permeable.
Ron
I haven't tried to measure it (yet), but it seems like the mattress in our 2017 21' is approximately 3" of memory foam over 6" inner-coil springs. Both the bottom and sides feel and look like cotton material, not vinyl. The material on the sides is thin enough you can feel the springs inside, and it appears that air, and moisture with it, could move pretty freely through just the side panels alone. I guess we'll find out when our typically humid summer weather rolls in in a few months. Anyone else with a 2017 21' know what I'm trying to describe and have any thoughts on air/moisture movement out through the inner-coil springs and side panels of the mattress?
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:41 AM   #185

Trailer: 2011 19' Escape
Send a message via Skype™ to Abeltaine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
Yes, 2 rolls. One for the bed and one for the dinette cushions. I will use some of what is left over from the dinette to do the sides of the bed.

We have a friend who has a new 19' and spent a month in it. They we having some condensation issues and said that the wood under the dinette seats was even a little damp so that's why I figured to just do it all while I was at it. I just hope the cushions don't slide around on it. I will install it Saturday and let you know how I like it.
After our two months in the southwest this (unusually wet) winter we found some mold on the wood under a dinette cushion in our '19. Time to invest in some drymesh!

Amy
Abeltaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:34 PM   #186
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Another alternative?

Heard about this stuff on a home improvement show - looks like a definite alternative; will check it out next time at Home Depot.

DMX 1-STEP 100 sq. ft. 3.67 ft. x 27 ft. 6 in. Unique Air Gap Underlayment Prevents Mold and Mildew-DMX 1-Step - The Home Depot

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:43 PM   #187

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That is more waterproof than the mesh but it may make the bed warmer in the winter. One roll is enough for 2 beds, so sharing is possible.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:51 PM   #188
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
That is more waterproof than the mesh but it may make the bed warmer in the winter. One roll is enough for 2 beds, so sharing is possible.
I thought the same; I've written to the manufacturer and asked for a large sample piece to examine/test. Might consider selling split rolls on my website.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 04-02-2017, 05:28 PM   #189

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I don't get the concept. Isn't the mattress ( or cushion ) already full of holes, being foam.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:42 PM   #190

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Heard about this stuff on a home improvement show - looks like a definite alternative; will check it out next time at Home Depot.

DMX 1-STEP 100 sq. ft. 3.67 ft. x 27 ft. 6 in. Unique Air Gap Underlayment Prevents Mold and Mildew-DMX 1-Step - The Home Depot
We use a product like that called Delta-FL a lot in basements that can have moisture wicking through the concrete. It provides ventilation while providing a path for moisture to dissipate. We anchor T&G ply on top of it, then lay any flooring we wish. Works great for using solid hardwood in a basement.
DELTA FL

It's sister product Delta-MS is used on the exterior of foundations to give any ground water that may come in contact with the foundation a direct path to the footing, as well as allow venting, keeping the foundation walls dry.
DELTA MS

I could see these products working the same as the others mentioned here. Place with the dimples away from the mattress.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:11 PM   #191
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I don't get the concept. Isn't the mattress ( or cushion ) already full of holes, being foam.
Not mine - I had a custom innerspring mattress built by the ETI supplier as the stock foam mattress was too soft for us. Foam mattresses don't have an air circulation path or boaters wouldn't spend $$ on Hypervent.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 04-02-2017, 07:54 PM   #192
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I sleep on a twin mattress in Ten Forward. I don't need or want a queen mattress. I bought a firm twin mattress at Ikea. Something I was told to pay attention... the mattress needs to breathe or mold will occur. Putting any mattress on top of plywood with no ventilation... guess what will happen?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:05 PM   #193

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Here is another option. Both RoninBc and I have done this. Not only does it provide ventilation but improves the comfort of the mattress by quite a bit.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...19-a-9267.html
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:04 PM   #194

Trailer: 17
fisheries supply in Seattle has hypervent as mentioned here. It was 11.40 usd per foot. I could not find it at west marine in Tacoma(fife, wa). I don't think any west marine carries it according to an employee searching for me there.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:18 PM   #195

I'm thinking of the Home Depot stuff and splitting the cost with another forum member. Anyone going to Osoyoos who wants to go in halfsies on one of the rolls, I'll buy and deliver to Osoyoos a half roll- 50 sq feet- $36, enough to do your bed and some....
Old 12-03-2017, 10:03 PM   #196

Trailer: 2017 sportrek vrb271
Quote:
I'm thinking of the Home Depot stuff and splitting the cost with another forum member. Anyone going to Osoyoos who wants to go in halfsies on one of the rolls, I'll buy and deliver to Osoyoos a half roll- 50 sq feet- $36, enough to do your bed and some....
How did this stuff work out? I'm looking into what I should purchase this week

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
lev_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:18 AM   #197

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Of you were talking "Drymesh" I am in!!! But not this stuff. I have my questions about it. In my opinion it, yes, creates open space under mattress. But on the other hand it creates sealed space, that kind of sucks to the mattress. Not allowing air movement.
Drymesh is proven to eliminate all problems.
Sooooooo: I am in for splitting on Drymesh.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:14 AM   #198

Never did materialize, since no one else seemed interested, I passed. I installed some reflective parcels under my bed, seems to work .Also Escape's mattress is a little smaller allowing air to circulate around the perimeter.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:45 AM   #199

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
We spent big bucks to buy the stuff when we bought our 17B. Haven't used it since and haven't had any moisture problems under the pads. We haven't been to any real humid environments however. The only thing we do do is put all the cushions up on edge when the trailer isn't being used.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 02:09 PM   #200

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dglasrud View Post
A follow up to ordering drymesh online for Canadian customers. Our 87.45 U.S. purchase which we thought would be sent USPS, was sent by courier and cost an extra 41.00 for brokerage fees and taxes.
For under the bed am thinking of using this “Easy Tile” from Princes Auto which is coming on sale next week at $10 for 10 - 1 sq ft tiles. $40 will get me 40 - 1 sq ft tiles...some of which I will cut in half and run around the edge. I am also wondering if this product would be good for the bathroom floor or harder on the floor that I am trying to protect.
Attached Thumbnails
DC3C2F2C-7C40-46C2-A4C0-87440B449206.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote