Drymesh or hypervent under matress - Page 11 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2018, 02:29 PM   #201
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I doubt it would have the thickness to create enough air gap between the mattress and the base. Maybe.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:49 PM   #202

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
For under the bed am thinking of using this “Easy Tile” from Princes Auto which is coming on sale next week at $10 for 10 - 1 sq ft tiles. $40 will get me 40 - 1 sq ft tiles...some of which I will cut in half and run around the edge. I am also wondering if this product would be good for the bathroom floor or harder on the floor that I am trying to protect.
Might be able to put them two high.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:23 PM   #203

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I never considered it not being high enough due to what looks to me as unrestricted lower design. I will take a closer look at it to make sure it has good flow with supporting stand-off stubs and not strips.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:36 PM   #204
Site Team

Quote:
I never considered it not being high enough due to what looks to me as unrestricted lower design. I will take a closer look at it to make sure it has good flow with supporting stand-off stubs and not strips.
Yeah, I only say that because the mattress isn't rigid, and will settle over them with any weight on it.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:31 PM   #205

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I finally received my mesh and reflectix and auxiliary fan and it is finally above freezing. I hope to install with pictures first the mesh, cut a hole in center bed and install the 12v fan exhaust side down and then relectix between the mesh the mattress. I'm hoping a negative draw under and around the mattress to allow air movement. Will post back the install.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:06 AM   #206

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
For under the bed am thinking of using this “Easy Tile” from Princes Auto which is coming on sale next week at $10 for 10 - 1 sq ft tiles. $40 will get me 40 - 1 sq ft tiles...some of which I will cut in half and run around the edge. I am also wondering if this product would be good for the bathroom floor or harder on the floor that I am trying to protect.
I would NOT use this for the bathroom floor. I had something like it and at first I thought it was great. But then I realized, even though it gets plenty of soapy and clean water running over it when I shower, there was still gunk stuck to it and it was starting to smell. A good, long soak in bleach and water in my tub didn't work, so I chucked it. I now use a small rug from Bed, Bath and Beyond in there instead (and remove when I shower - hey, gotta state that in case someone can't figure it out ).
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:19 AM   #207

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I would NOT use this for the bathroom floor. I had something like it and at first I thought it was great. But then I realized, even though it gets plenty of soapy and clean water running over it when I shower, there was still gunk stuck to it and it was starting to smell. A good, long soak in bleach and water in my tub didn't work, so I chucked it. I now use a small rug from Bed, Bath and Beyond in there instead (and remove when I shower - hey, gotta state that in case someone can't figure it out ).
Thanks...always good to know what works and what doesn’t.

I took a look at the mat product I posted earlier and it is not rock hard plastic like I thought it might be...it is better. It also not as thick/high as I had hoped. It would be better than nothing and would not collapse but the air under it would be limited in flow.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:57 AM   #208

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Some on this forum put a teak wood grid on the floor of their bath, but I haven't seen any updates/feedback lately on how well it's working for them.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:44 PM   #209

I have had a wooden floor in my baths for past 6 years, only way to go, keeps things clean and easy to lift for routine cleaning underneath
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0915.jpg  
Old 01-30-2018, 07:30 PM   #210

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
We have replaced the ETI mattress with a memory foam mattress and are thinking about using hypervent. We also have the ETI mattress cover, which has fabric on the sides and has a vinyl bottom. I question if the hypervent will work if placed under the vinyl bottom of the mattress cover. To be effective, I may have to place the hypervent inside the mattress cover between the mattress and the vinyl bottom. Any thoughts?
Old 01-30-2018, 07:36 PM   #211
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
We have replaced the ETI mattress with a memory foam mattress and are thinking about using hypervent. We also have the ETI mattress cover, which has fabric on the sides and has a vinyl bottom. I question if the hypervent will work if placed under the vinyl bottom of the mattress cover. To be effective, I may have to place the hypervent inside the mattress cover between the mattress and the vinyl bottom. Any thoughts?
I'd place the hypervent between the wood and the mattress cover as normal. Condensation is caused by a temperature differential, and I should think the vinyl in the mattress cover would transfer heat just as an uncovered mattress would.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:03 PM   #212

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I'd place the hypervent between the wood and the mattress cover as normal. Condensation is caused by a temperature differential, and I should think the vinyl in the mattress cover would transfer heat just as an uncovered mattress would.
Under the mattress it is. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:01 PM   #213

Trailer: N/A
Just wondering why a waterproof mattress cover wouldn't be sufficient?

I bought a quality mattress cover that protects against dustmites, bed bugs, and is water proof for my home latex mattress. I use an additional cotton mattress topper so the bedding breathes. Nothing worse than feeling like you're sleeping on a plastic bag.
RoseAndJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:08 PM   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseAndJon View Post
Just wondering why a waterproof mattress cover wouldn't be sufficient?

I bought a quality mattress cover that protects against dustmites, bed bugs, and is water proof for my home latex mattress. I use an additional cotton mattress topper so the bedding breathes. Nothing worse than feeling like you're sleeping on a plastic bag.
You want to eliminate the moisture, not trap it under your mattress, air needs to circulate around and under the bed. BTW, there is a 5% discount here https://www.mattressinsider.com
Old 01-31-2018, 08:16 PM   #215

Thats where I'm confused. If the whole mattress is incased in a water proof cover, how is body heat/ condensation going to get under the bed?

If hypervent, aire Flo, etc weren't so pricey I wouldn't be questioning other methods. The Ikea slats sound like a good alternative but that's adding a good deal of weight if you ask me.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:47 PM   #216
Site Team

Quote:
Thats where I'm confused. If the whole mattress is incased in a water proof cover, how is body heat/ condensation going to get under the bed?
The mattress transmits your body heat to the sides and bottom. Waterproof material doesn't stop heat transmission. The bed base and the trailer side walls are cold when it's cold outside. The temperature difference between the relatively warm mattress and the relatively cold surfaces near it causes condensation. The mesh material simply creates an air gap between surfaces of different temperatures, which reduces or eliminates condensation. The condensation on the sides will be worse than on the bottom however, because the temperature differential is more severe.

You can also reduce overall condensation by keeping a window slightly open and setting the MaxxFan on low exhaust while sleeping. Just one or two people breathing produces a tremendous amount of water vapor in a small space. This helps remove that.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:23 PM   #217

When explained like that it does make sense. Thank you. I hadn't even thought about the sides of the mattress. Seems a mattress protector as well as the hypervent is worth getting to protect to mattress as well as your health. Breathing mold...��☠

Leaving a window slightly cracked and the fan on is also a good idea so anyone sleeping in the camper isnt breathing their own carbon dioxide and/or (in our case) dog farts.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:19 PM   #218

Trailer: 21' 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I have had a wooden floor in my baths for past 6 years, only way to go, keeps things clean and easy to lift for routine cleaning underneath
How would I go about shopping for one like this? Is there any upkeep for the wood? Is it slippery for a young child, or are the spaces big enough to cause little toes to fall through?
Old 05-11-2018, 09:30 PM   #219

Trailer: 21' 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
I don't know what this coil mattress it looks like, but that seems like a good bet providing air can vent out the sides of the mattress.

I remember seeing a thread about this and the conclusion was that the spring mattress solved the condensation issues.
Is this a confirmed and settled issue with the 2017 and on? I want to get ahead of moisture from the start if it's not, as in, I'd rather not wait and see
Old 05-12-2018, 12:31 AM   #220

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
...The Ikea slats sound like a good alternative but that's adding a good deal of weight if you ask me.
The IKEA slats don’t weigh much at all. Maybe 35 lbs. I did them on my 19’. In addition to the air circulation around the mattress, the increased comfort of the bed noticeable. Almost as comfortable as our Serta Bed at home.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote