Drymesh or hypervent under matress - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
Ours came from the same company via Canada Post - without request - and no extra charge. The yarn company in WA I use ships by USPS/Canada Post but they still collect duty. Maybe this company just got caught not doing what it's supposed to do!
My guess is that they all do what they are required to do by law, which is collect all duties and taxes.

The "brokerage fee" is not a duty, not a tax, and not government-imposed at all. Everyone commercially carrying goods across the border fills out "paperwork" (not necessarily on paper) on behalf of the owner of the goods - they act as a broker. The difference is that the post offices include this few seconds of effort in their shipping fee, while the courier companies expend no more effort but charge about $40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
I hate it when companies aren't up front about what it will cost in total.
This is one of my pet peeves. Most U.S. suppliers claim that they do not know what the courier may charge the recipient, so they neither list or even mention it, and claim no responsibility when the shipping company which they chose charges the customer more than the supplier promised it would cost. This is usually all covered, of course, in the fine print.

In this case, I created a dummy online order for DryMesh, and the last screen I get before I must stop because I am not supplying real shipping info or a credit card has a quoted shipping cost of $17.50, for the same US$87.45 total as dglasrud... with no qualifications, no notes, no shipping info page. I wouldn't purchase anything from these people, but then I have little tolerance for either dishonesty or extreme incompetence (and of course I don't know which this is), and I know to watch for the brokerage fee scam.

I have no opinion on the product, and apparently never will.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:35 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Brokerage fee scam? You folks are trying to blame the wrong group. I work for an international transportation company and this is a HUGE PITA. Shipping companies aren't brokerage companies and brokerage companies aren't shipping companies. Product cannot cross into another country without going through brokerage. My company, which ships many tons of freight internationally a day, has to deal with brokerage firms. Because of international currency, there is no set fee. Dollars flux internationally on an hourly basis. WE pay whatever the brokerage "fee" is and then need to pass it along to the consumer. Just like US buyers of Escape trailers, companies that ship internationally look to see what the dollar exchange is at any even time and adjust invoicing accordingly. But, we have an entire staffed department that does that. It's doubtful a "small" business would even want to dedicate one employee to the task. It's neither dishonest nor extreme incompetence. Perhaps it would be best to say the brokerage fee for international shipping is a range such as $50-$100.

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
For me it comes down to this: if the U.S. based company is going to ship UPS then I won't make the purchase. If they will ship USPS ( and Canada Post ), I will buy it because I don't get dinged brokerage. Matters not to me who is to blame for the fee.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #24
Site Team

One big reason companies use UPS and FedEx, is they pickup at the customers location. If a company is shipping a skid of product (many boxes goes to many customers), USPS expects the product to be delivered to the post office for shipping. We ship letters via USPS, everything else goes common carrier. The other problem is postal services have size and weight limitations. For instance, I know the case awning I ordered for my Scamp needed to be shipped truck freight.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
I don't feel the love here. Spend your money in Canada or pay what it takes to get it imported from the US to your door step. But don't bash the business that supplies you with cheaper goods than you can buy in Canada and charges no sales tax.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:42 PM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Let's all be in tune that we have 2 different countries involved and each has their own attributes with out casting aspersions.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #27
Site Team

I can understand a consumer's frustration. I too am a consumer. I'm just attempting to point out the reasons things are the way they are. The United States Postal Service makes it difficult for companies to do business with them. Where UPS and FedEx bend over backwards to get the business. We receive skids and skids of free packing boxes and Tyvek envelopes from FedEx every month to ship product. The only thing USPS gives us is grief. If I was a business owner who shipped lots of product daily, I sure wouldn't want to deal with the USPS. YMMV
Old 12-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Fact of the matter is that some companies (UPS in particular) charge exorbitant customs brokerage fees for shipping packages from the USA to Canada. These fees are usually hidden to the purchaser who will have no idea as to their magnitude until the package is held for ransom until those fees are paid. There are many Canadians who have experienced this. I personally have declined to shop at many USA online stores if all details regarding shipping costs and customs brokerage fees are not clearly indicated. Those businesses that include brokerage fees in their shipping costs ( and there are some out there) or who are willing to ship via methods that result in reasonable costs to the buyer will get my business. Others will not.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
ice-breaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:22 PM   #29
Site Team

Y'all might want to bookmark this UPS site dealing with brokerage fees, duty and Customs Clearance: UPS: Rates for Customs Clearance into Canada
Old 12-14-2013, 08:13 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Personally, when I buy from an out of country supplier my favorite is Nigeria, (great guys, all have uncles at the National Bank) but Chechnya is getting to be a close second. Just yesterday I ordered something - got quick promise of quick shipment. All I had to do was send them a "good faith" money order or a cashiers' check first. In contrast, when China ships me the wrong item they don't even respond to my complaints, but ok, that might be because the email address listed always comes back address unknown.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pogo6aa.jpg (24.4 KB, 287 views)

MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote