Drymesh or hypervent under matress - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2016, 11:56 AM   #101

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
I recently unearthed this thread because my daughter was having condensation problems under the mattresses in her tent trailer. It hasn't totally solved the problem, but the dry mesh has helped a lot.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:41 PM   #102
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
substitute material?

Found this stuff at a construction materials recycling center; looks exactly like drymesh/hypervent material. Designed for use behind brick veneer on houses - any construction types out there familiar with it? Mortairvent® CW Mortar Deflection & Ventilation System | Advanced Building Products

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 04:20 PM   #103

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Given it's intended use I would imagine it would be more like heater filter material and would not have the stiffness or strength to hold mattress off the base or deck. You would need to determine how stiff and dense it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Found this stuff at a construction materials recycling center; looks exactly like drymesh/hypervent material. Designed for use behind brick veneer on houses - any construction types out there familiar with it? Mortairvent® CW Mortar Deflection & Ventilation System | Advanced Building Products
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 04:24 PM   #104

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Given it's intended use I would imagine it would be more like heater filter material and would not have the stiffness or strength to hold mattress off the base or deck. You would need to determine how stiff and dense it is.
Another thing to check is the surface. One of the things I like about Dry Mesh is it is soft enough that it doesn't scratch the table top. Friends that have a Scamp & used Hypervent ended up with surface scratched on the table.

Still, since I can't find a supplier outside of the UK for Dry Mesh, with shipping it is going to be an expensive order...
Old 11-30-2016, 05:24 PM   #105
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
The stuff I found is pretty stiff and close to 3/4 inch thick; it's not a woven material, and we only need it under the mattress of our 21 - we don't use the rear dinette as a bed area. Might just buy a roll to play with. At $10 can't go too far wrong.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 06:12 PM   #106

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
I look forward to hearing whether you like it. The price is certainly attractive!
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:17 PM   #107

Just wondering for those with 5.0 models, if the entire deck under the bed was carpeted do you think a pad such as those that have been described on this thread, would be necessary?

It is my understanding only the sides between bed and exterior side walls are carpeted and the area under the bed is not, but you can request to haven entire bed area carpeted?
Old 11-30-2016, 07:28 PM   #108

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Just wondering for those with 5.0 models, if the entire deck under the bed was carpeted do you think a pad such as those that have been described on this thread, would be necessary?

It is my understanding only the sides between bed and exterior side walls are carpeted and the area under the bed is not, but you can request to haven entire bed area carpeted?
Ours was carpeted under the mattress (was not asked), I think the older trailers were carpeted down each side.
Not sure if the hyper vent is needed, but did place it under the mattress. I also cut a couple of extra pieces to go under the head end of the mattress, it makes sleeping a bit more comfortable.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:52 PM   #109

Trailer: ex Casita/ 2016 Escape 21 '16 TRD 4x4
I was looking at one of the marine forums (cruisers forum) and one of the individuals had installed dri-dek under the mattress. All we need is air circulation and most folks like me had to order a case when I did our bathroom-so I have some left over.
Jerry
jerryandmaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:11 PM   #110

Thanks Chris, hopefully it is standard and won't have to ask for the upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Ours was carpeted under the mattress (was not asked), I think the older trailers were carpeted down each side.
Not sure if the hyper vent is needed, but did place it under the mattress. I also cut a couple of extra pieces to go under the head end of the mattress, it makes sleeping a bit more comfortable.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:52 PM   #111

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
We went to a boat chandler in Vancouver and they were selling "Mortairvent" for under mattresses in boats. We installed it under our mattress in our 21 and seems to work fine. We did not use it in the dinette because it probably would scratch and we got the vinyl backed cushions. No moisture would get through the vinyl anyway.
Tom W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 09:52 PM   #112

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
My experience using this hypervent stuff:

I wanted to give some heads ups to anyone using the hypervent mesh in their trailer. I just got through putting it under the bed and the dinette cushions in our trailer.

When you cut it - probably best to do it in an area that you can easily vacuum. You'll get a bazillion little bits of that hard plastic all over the place. You do NOT want this stuff to get on your bare feet (not tested, but can imagine) or between your socks and slippers (yeah, know about that - not fun - ouch!). So, you probably don't want it embedded in your carpet. Yeah, not fun. I did it over a laminate flooring and you definitely want some light coming in at an angle so you can see all of it. Not at night - don't ask me how I know that.

Oh, I also cut it on top of a folding hard plastic table that I didn't care if I got gouges in it. Good thing! Yep, they're there and I knew that, so no biggie. If you're cutting with scissors this would not be a problem but that was not an option for me. Not enough strength in my hands. It still killed 'em using the box cutter, but way better than scissors for as much as I cut.

I measured and drew lines with a Sharpie. You're not going to get straight lines as that stuff has some wicked bumps to it. I used a box cutter to cut it. Probably should have worn gloves as I now have lots of little cuts on my knuckles (from rubbing against the edges of that wickedly sharp hard, woven plastic), but I figured I wouldn't have as much control with gloves as they never fit my fingers very well. Oh well, that's what neosporin and bandaids are for, right?

When I did the section alongside the wall and the bed, I measured the height of the mattress but when I put it in I realized my tootsies would scrape along it (I can't sleep with sheets tucked in) and I would have to invest in large amounts of bandaids. So, I cut it in half, height-wise. Hopefully that will still provide enough airflow - I did pull the sheet/blankets back.

For the dinette, I did separate sections over the openings for the storage hatches and another for the area behind the doors. For the back of the u-shape dinette I did long pieces there. I did the storage openings separate as I figured I wouldn't have to move too much around when accessing those areas. We'll see if that was a brilliant idea or not after some usage of the trailer.

Your cushions will be a bit higher with the hypervent underneath them. I can now see a bit of the bare plywood in a few areas so I might take some paint to them if they bug me enough. Knowing me, yeah, they'll get black paint later on. I painted the filler boards black as the naked plywood was bugging me.

If you have vinyl backing and your cushions make a hell of a racket before installing the hypervent (which mine did and I wanted full wrap, but that's another discussion on another thread), they'll still make noise. Now it's just a different noise, but it's still there. Bummer.

The hypervent is on a fabric backing, which is against your cushions so I don't think it would be a problem if you had a full fabric wrap on your cushions.

If you're getting the u-shaped dinette and you know you're going to use the hypervent all around, you might want to get the long back cushion a smidge (like half inch) shorter than normal. I'm now seeing a bunch of wrinkles in the fabric due to the cushions having to fight with the hypervent for space. Same with the cushions that go on the filler boards - about a half inch less in length would have been perfect. I think - I only measured one side but will look at both sides tomorrow now that I think about it. The bottom cushions do hang over a bit from the frame area, but that's okay until the filler boards/cushions go into place.

However, with all that, I'm thrilled that I got it in. I did the bed first and had to purchase more to finish off the dinette (when I first ordered it I wasn't 100% sure of the size of the dinette and figured I'd need more - yep I did). Fortunately there's a marine supply store in Seattle that carries it so I was able to pick it up on Monday after ordering it on their website Sunday night.

HyperVent 39-50 | Fisheries Supply

Anyway, when I pulled up the cushions over the weekend, one of them was rather damp on the end. So, yeah, glad it's all in now. Yay!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:36 PM   #113

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
Canadians: beware of the UPS 'customs brokerage' charge

As mentioned earlier in this thread, if you live in Canada and want to order Hypervent from Fisheries Supply, make sure that they will ship it via the US Postal Service. Otherwise, you'll get nailed for a large, phoney 'customs brokerage' fee, which is simply a courier company scam.

Two years ago I forgot to ask Fisheries Supply to identify their shipper and got nailed. I protested to UPS and managed to get them to drop half the fee, but it's far better to avoid UPS if you can.

Regarding the product, we installed Hypervent under and around the mattress in our Escape 21 and have had no problems with condensation. If we ever get moisture on the dinette cushions we'll add Hypervent there, but so far there's been no need.

HyperVent 39-50 | Fisheries Supply

Anyway, when I pulled up the cushions over the weekend, one of them was rather damp on the end. So, yeah, glad it's all in now. Yay![/QUOTE]
Old 12-14-2016, 10:54 PM   #114

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
On the same theme, if you are in Canada and order from etrailer.com, ask if they can ship it from their Ontario warehouse. You'll likely have to order by phone.
I've never forgiven UPS for sending me a bill for $50 brokerage. I always ask which shipper is being used, and if it's UPS, they lose the sale.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:57 PM   #115

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Yeah, you never want to use UPS for getting stuff from the US to Canada. They totally suck with that fee added on.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:59 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchlight View Post
Regarding the product, we installed Hypervent under and around the mattress in our Escape 21 and have had no problems with condensation. If we ever get moisture on the dinette cushions we'll add Hypervent there, but so far there's been no need.
Good to know you don't have any problems with the dinette cushions. I figured I'd rather be safe than sorry and since my knuckles were already getting beaten up by doing it for the bed, I figured I'd really trash 'em all at once.

And with one of the dinette cushions getting a bit damp, yeah, best put it on now!
Old 12-15-2016, 02:26 PM   #117

Trailer: 2017 Escape21. Pick up date May,2017
Is hypervent or anything needed inTexas? Others Texans, any experience? No cold weather camping as a general rule.
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:07 PM   #118

Trailer: ex Casita/ 2016 Escape 21 '16 TRD 4x4
So, how much did you order? We also have the beloved U-dinette.
Jerry
jerryandmaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:33 PM   #119
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
Is hypervent or anything needed inTexas? Others Texans, any experience? No cold weather camping as a general rule.
Ginger, we've never used it, and have camped all over Texas without condensation issues. We do crack a window at night and set the Maxx Fan to low exhaust.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:52 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryandmaria View Post
So, how much did you order? We also have the beloved U-dinette.
Jerry
I first ordered 15 feet and then another 9 feet later. I had some bits left over but not enough to put elsewhere. I covered the bottom of the bed and alongside the long outer wall. I only used a small piece at the head of the bed since the bed (Select Comfort full size) is shorter than what they use and I just have a foam piece in part of that area to keep my pillow from falling down (the pump for the bed takes up another portion). I also put it along the sides and bottoms of the dinette cushions.

If you use their bed, I'd get another foot of it, just to be safe. Fisheries Supply does free shipping over x-amount of dollar, which you'll be over, but you will have to pay their $15 oversize charge. The stuff is 39" wide and will come in a huge box so I can understand the oversize charge.

I also measured everything ahead of time and wrote it down on a piece of paper. Figured out exactly how I was going to cut each piece and then I labeled it so I'd remember what went where, especially in the dinette area as I had lots of pieces for that.

I took some photos of the dinette and will post those in a bit, so you can see what I mean about how it changes the cushions a bit.