Dumb usta be blonde generator question - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2017, 08:21 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Our generator is not a new inverter one even though it looks like it is brand new . It is a Honda 1000EX about 24 years old with a metal case , gas gauge and I can hook a grounding cable to it . So really no comparison to new generators today . When I get a chance will post a picture , a beauty and starts every time when I need it to. Pat
When you attach a grounding cable what are you grounding, the trailer, the generator or both. I found my EMS did not like my grounding, so I bypassed it to use the generator.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:25 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The reason for the on/off is when you are using a generator. I plug my trailer in at home on a 20 amp circuit with the GFI outlet outside. No issues in any my trailers. You must have a wiring problem. They sometimes do go bad, I replaced several outside in other places.
Confused Jim . Talking about hooking generator, boondocking . Shutting off the surge to get power from the generator . Yes the GFI I just replaced on the outside of trailer . When I plug in at home my surge is on , everything working fine . I am talking about boondocking . There is a on and off on remote for the surge . Guess I need to call and get a explanation of the on and off . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:00 PM   #23

Quote:
When you attach a grounding cable what are you grounding, the trailer, the generator or both. I found my EMS did not like my grounding, so I bypassed it to use the generator.
Really probably not going to ground the generator . When I get a chance will call progressive and ask why there is a on and off on the surge remote and what it is used for . Just for my information . Pat
Old 06-15-2017, 10:29 PM   #24

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Really probably not going to ground the generator . When I get a chance will call progressive and ask why there is a on and off on the surge remote and what it is used for . Just for my information . Pat
Pat: The on/off "bypass" is designed for if there is ever a failure of the EMS. Turning it off (bypass) does not disable the actual surge protection only the other features. It's probably a non-issue either way when running on a generator.
http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/439d5a...5d8e3cacbb.pdf

That said, if you are using a generator with a properly wired "gen plug" you shouldn't need to bypass the EMS. I can't quite figure out what you might have going on, but if the GFI on the trailer is tripping you definitely have some other wiring issue. Strange that it doesn't happen at home on shore power, but only on generator. That makes me think it has something to do with the generator itself. That might explain why the gen-plug doesn't work too. Maybe an electrician will weigh in.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Pat: The on/off "bypass" is designed for if there is ever a failure of the EMS. Turning it off (bypass) does not disable the actual surge protection only the other features. It's probably a non-issue either way when running on a generator.
http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/439d5a...5d8e3cacbb.pdf

That said, if you are using a generator with a properly wired "gen plug" you shouldn't need to bypass the EMS. I can't quite figure out what you might have going on, but if the GFI on the trailer is tripping you definitely have some other wiring issue. Strange that it doesn't happen at home on shore power, but only on generator. That makes me think it has something to do with the generator itself. That might explain why the gen-plug doesn't work too. Maybe an electrician will weigh in.
I wondering if it was the outside GFI I just recently had to replace . After I wired in my new Smart Plug . There is a light on the Smart Plug cord saying there was power but unless I switched off the remote on the surge ,I couldn't have power in trailer , because the GFI keep popping . Switched the remote off for surge , power to the trailer . Changed to a new GFI , everything was working with surge bypass on . This was at home . You know I never tried the generator when I last went camping leaving the surge remote on . will need to try , maybe that was the whole issue before the GFI I mean . Pat
Old 06-16-2017, 07:04 PM   #26

Trailer: 2012 17B
The report

Decided not to go to the Barn Hunt as I doubt the dogs would enjoy themselves in this heat. But I bought the generator anyhow. Here's how it went:
1. Bought it at camping World. NTS (note to self) Buy through Amazon Prime so won't have to deal with surly CW employee.
2. Oozed it out of SUV onto dolly and carted it over near trailer. Read instructions.
3. Filled Oil reservoir. Washed hands and floor. NTS: get tiny right angled funnel, oil input is in corner and nearly a horizontal pour. NTS2: shut puppy away when spilling oil in filling attempt. NTS3: find out what takes oil off furniture.
4. Put some gas in gas tank. Washed hands and floor. NTS: read how to use newfangled gas cans before attempting to fill tank.
5. Turned trailer battery cutoff back on, CO monitor immediately started screaming. Pushed at it and it stopped. NTS: get another screw for the loose side of mount.
6. Plugged trailer into electric to top off battery charge just in case. Changed oil and gas soaked jeans before self combusting.
7.Turned power off fridge.
8. Attempted to start Honda 2000I generator.
9. Went into house to sulk.
10.Neighbor not home yet, put more gas in tank, attempted to start. Sigh. Gave it one last heave. Success!
11. After waiting for generator to warm up a few minutes, plugged trailer into it. Decision, which plug? Checked manual.
12.left Surge Protector on and attempted to start AC. No. Turned Surge Protector off, Eureka! Let there be cool!
13. Turned everything off, came into house. Washed oily puppy. Threw out useless chewed funnel. Took shower. Took Aleve for aching shoulder. Prepared Manhatten and sat down to type report. NTS: next time if possible play the 'poor helpless old lady' card.
14. Don't know if i would have proceeded without all the info. You folks are the greatest!
Sally P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:19 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Thumbs up

Hilarious.......
Old 06-16-2017, 07:53 PM   #28

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Hilarious.......
I agree. Just to be clear, you did finally go with the 2000 Honda. I think that is the only generator I could lift out of my truck anyway. I have been giving them a serious look too.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:55 PM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Perfect, absolutely perfect
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:06 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally P View Post
NTS: read how to use newfangled gas cans before attempting to fill tank.
Terrific report!

As an aside, I really like the newer gas cans that are cleverly designed to prevent spills and fumes from contaminating the environment. In reality, I have spilled probably ten times more gasoline using them than using the old-fashioned ones.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:20 PM   #31

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander

Without a doubt one of the most
Well written. start up reports ever written. Informative, enjoyable, and most honorably, not
asking for sympathy. Thanks for your report.
Things will only get better from here on.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:32 PM   #32

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
8. Attempted to start Honda 2000I generator.

Oops, need to read first and text last.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:38 PM   #33

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
When I used to take the generator along, I had a 1 gallon plastic gas can for the fuel, it's a more usable size. If one was of a mind, there are directions out on the web on defeating the safety part of the cans, there are also vent caps you can install so it comes out without gurgling.

Now that you mention it, my Honda it takes a bit to get it going the first time. I run it dry after use, so it takes a bit to get the gas from the tank into the chamber the first time I try to start it.

I always make a mess with the oil too, draining and putting it in.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:40 PM   #34

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
All this reminds me that I have to drag out my Honda1000 and exercise it. Probably hasn't run for six months.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:21 PM   #35

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
NTS1: Get Sally a digital camera so she can post pictures of her generator adventures.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:22 PM   #36

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
NTS2: Get Sally more whiskey and vermouth. I don't think we've heard the end of this from her....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:24 AM   #37

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Ok you sound like me everything is a adventure and not always a fun one I decided to take my electric bike on a ride still learning about it got the battery back in but kept turning the key no start couldn't read the directions had to go get glasses to read the fine print on key hole and get wine and also whine a little still wouldn't work went on google "why won't my bike start? " must press mod for 5 seconds! Perfect now I know! Rode bike to bar had a cocktail! Exercise complete
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:26 AM   #38

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Peddle assistant makes me feel like an athlete no hill is too big gives me super powers!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:12 PM   #39

Trailer: 2012 17B
Which brings up new questions

Thanks for your appreciation of my report, even though i had forgotten to mention the affair of the folding three legged stool tipping over and dumping me while i was using a flashlight to see how much oil was in the tank. But i digress... i first thought of carrying the generator and gas can in the back of the SUV but the odor of the gas took care of that idea. So then i figured I'd use the cargo carrier i have. It is a possibility but I foresee two problems. One is that the spare tire will be in the way so the Gen would have to be on one side or the other, a big weight imbalance. The other is that I'm betting that cargo carrier would be a big drag - and i mean that literally, catching up on gas station entrances and the like. I looked under the trailer and couldn't see a big enough area to mount the spare tire. So far all i can think of is to carry the spare in the back of the SUV -ugh- and making a platform between the two 6v batteries on the bumper for the Gen. apart from that, does anyone have suggestions apart from just staying home when its hot?
Sally P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:48 PM   #40

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The Honda should have a vent shutoff on the gas cap to minimize fumes. I sometimes carried mine just inside the door of my old trailer when moving, never noticed any fumes. It does mean you have to lift it out of the way every time you want in the trailer. Maybe the gas can could go on the cargo carrier.