Dumb usta be blonde generator question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2017, 12:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 17B
Dumb usta be blonde generator question

I'm considering getting a small generator just to run the AC. Honda 2000I probably. (Temps are predicted to go up to 108 this weekend) I rarely use power but think in this case it will be needed to cool the Escape off late afternoon into the evening. So if I buy one can i just plug the trailer with its cord into the generator and be sure all the other electric drains are off before starting the AC? Or does one need special hookups? This is given I can start the danged thing with the pull cord, far from a sure thing. Does one start the generator and then plug in or vice versa?
Sally P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:56 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Dear Usta Be Blonde

Yes, just plug the trailer into the generator, make sure the fridge is not on auto. You'll need a 30A to 15A adapter.

Usta Be Brown
Old 06-15-2017, 12:58 PM   #3

Thank you, dear sir.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:10 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally P View Post
I'm considering getting a small generator just to run the AC. Honda 2000I probably. (Temps are predicted to go up to 108 this weekend) I rarely use power but think in this case it will be needed to cool the Escape off late afternoon into the evening. So if I buy one can i just plug the trailer with its cord into the generator and be sure all the other electric drains are off before starting the AC? Or does one need special hookups? This is given I can start the danged thing with the pull cord, far from a sure thing. Does one start the generator and then plug in or vice versa?
Sally: We have the Honda EU2000i and it ran the Dometic 11,000 BTU overhead A/C ok, but with no other loads. Now it runs our 9,000 BTU mini-split without issue. We never had a problem but I have heard of concerns of the converter kicking in to charge the batteries and adding additional load but that is something that is automatic and hard to control unless you unplug it or flip off the breaker feeding it. Just make sure any large loads are off, plug into the generator and start it. Then go in the trailer and turn on any larger loads like the A/C. The Honda is really easy to start.

As Padlin indicated, you will need an adapter similar to what you would need at home if plugging in to a regular receptacle to keep your batteries charged:
www.amazon.com/Camco-55223-15M-PowerGrip-Adapter/dp/B00192JGA8/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_263_lp_t_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&re fRID=X9BGBEXBFWK806J2KCSQ

By the way, you may see the more expensive "Companion" model Honda which has a 30 amp locking plug but don't be fooled. You would still need an adapter because this is not the style on the trailer cord end. The companion is made for when two generators are twinned together and it would typically be the second one you buy.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:23 PM   #5

Again, thanks. Got the plug. And my solar does a good job of keeping the batteries charged so that shouldn't be a problem. This past weekend i saw a lot of portable solars hooked up to trailers with all sorts of wiring connections so that is what got me wondering. I do have the old 11000 BTU AC so will (try to) remember to turn the fridge to propane rather than auto.
62 for a high last weekend, 108 this. What is this country coming to? Northern Canada begins to appeal.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:25 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Quote:
Sally,
I notice your trailer/air conditioner is not the newest one. Some owners have had trouble using the Honda to run the AC, depending on your AC's compressor's starting requirements. Newer ones may work better with that size generator.

Consider borrowing a friend's Honda before buying one to see if that Honda it will handle your year model AC. As others explained, make sure the converter/charger is done charging your battery before turning on the AC. The converter/charger on ours with two batteries can use a considerable amount of electrical power from the post or a generator and would overwhelm the generator if you tried the AC until the battery charging is done or has otherwise been disabled. If you have an electric water heater, make sure it has been switched off at the outside access panel, too.

Good luck, and give us a report. This is a frequent discussion.
Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:32 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Thank you, dear sir.
If you have the surge you may need to bypass that . You have a on and off slide on the remote , you probably need to shut off . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:37 PM   #8

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
If you have the surge you may need to bypass that . You have a on and off slide on the remote , you probably need to shut off . Pat
YES you will. I can tell ya from experience that your a/c won't work with your generator until you flip this switch. Pat walked me through this a few weekends ago when I was in desperate need of cooling air.

I don't have a remote so I flipped the switch on the wall mounted thingie.

I have both of the smaller Hondas and I hooked them together. It ran the a/c and the frig just fine. Both of the generators are new and both started up just fine.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
YES you will. I can tell ya from experience that your a/c won't work with your generator until you flip this switch. Pat walked me through this a few weekends ago when I was in desperate need of cooling air.

I don't have a remote so I flipped the switch on the wall mounted thingie.

I have both of the smaller Hondas and I hooked them together. It ran the a/c and the frig just fine. Both of the generators are new and both started up just fine.
Didn't want you to melt Laura ! Pat
Old 06-15-2017, 02:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
Sally, I notice your trailer/air conditioner is not the newest one. Some owners have had trouble using the Honda to run the AC, depending on your AC's compressor's starting requirements. Newer ones may work better with that size generator.

If you have an electric water heater, make sure it has been switched off at the outside access panel, too.
We had an older Dometic (2010) and it ran ok on the EU2000i but you never know. The starting current is the problem. There are soft start kits that can be added if it doesn't have one. A call to ETI may help too as I'm sure they get the question all the time. I think they were even providing a soft start kit on some of their A/C's.

Very good point about the electric water heater. At 1440W this would draw about 13 amps which is almost the entire capacity of a EU2000i generator at it's rated load.

Quote:
If you have the surge you may need to bypass that . You have a on and off slide on the remote , you probably need to shut off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
The Progressive Industries EMS is responding to the open neutral on the generator and throwing an error code. I understand that a generator is a pretty predictable power source and bypassing the EMS is fine, but I wanted to point out that there is an option if you want to retain the protection of the EMS. You can buy a GEN-plug that bonds the neutral via one of the generator outlets:
www.amazon.com/Progressive-Industries-GEN-PLUG-Generator-Plug/dp/B01BYSFQSW
Old 06-15-2017, 02:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
We had an older Dometic (2010) and it ran ok on the EU2000i but you never know. The starting current is the problem. There are soft start kits that can be added if it doesn't have one. A call to ETI may help too as I'm sure they get the question all the time. I think they were even providing a soft start kit on some of their A/C's.

Very good point about the electric water heater. At 1440W this would draw about 13 amps which is almost the entire capacity of a EU2000i generator at it's rated load.

The Progressive Industries EMS is responding to the open neutral on the generator and throwing an error code. I understand that a generator is a pretty predictable power source and bypassing the EMS is fine, but I wanted to point out that there is an option if you want to retain the protection of the EMS. You can buy a GEN-plug that bonds the neutral via one of the generator outlets:
www.amazon.com/Progressive-Industries-GEN-PLUG-Generator-Plug/dp/B01BYSFQSW
Easy to make that plug . My brother made me one but didn't fool my system . I have a place on my generator to hook a Ground cable but just haven't bothered with that . I just bypass the surge and it works fine . I would be more concerned hooked up to campground electrical bypassing my surge then just my generator , but maybe I have that wrong . If I didn't bypass surge it popped my gfi and couldn't get power to trailer Pat
Old 06-15-2017, 02:44 PM   #12

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Something else you need, a way to lock up the generator.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Easy to make that plug . My brother made me one but didn't fool my system . I have a place on my generator to hook a Ground cable but just haven't bothered with that . I just bypass the surge and it works fine . I would be more concerned hooked up to campground electrical bypassing my surge then just my generator , but maybe I have that wrong . If I didn't bypass surge it popped my gfi and couldn't get power to trailer Pat
My generator is a Honda . Yup wouldn't leave generator locked or unintended . Favorite for thieves . Pat
Old 06-15-2017, 04:57 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
The Progressive Industries EMS is responding to the open neutral on the generator and throwing an error code. I understand that a generator is a pretty predictable power source and bypassing the EMS is fine, but I wanted to point out that there is an option if you want to retain the protection of the EMS. You can buy a GEN-plug that bonds the neutral via one of the generator outlets.
And that's the way to go. No need to go without surge protection just because you're using a generator. Just plug this in to the unused outlet, keep your EMS on, and you're good.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2017, 05:07 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
In the end, what are the EXACT steps Sally should do?

1. Nothing running on electric inside, including off the batteries?
2. Start the generator
3. Plug the trailer plug into the generator
4. Start Air Conditioner

I don't even know the steps.. I don't have a generator!

Y'all have been helpful. But absolute, positive steps would be better...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 05:25 PM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

2. Start the generator
4. Start Air Conditioner

My steps would be similar, except I like the idea of using the EMS while on a generator. So, along with starting the generator, insert the little accessory plug mentioned above that ties neutral to ground, into the unused plug on the generator. Then plug in the trailer to the generator, EMS on. After insuring the EMS doesn't throw an error (minute or so), start the AC.

Old 06-15-2017, 06:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

2. Start the generator
4. Start Air Conditioner

Yeah that's it. Any small loads on the batteries shouldn't matter and the converter will just pick those up once there is 120V power. One other nuance is that the Eco-Throttle switch on Honda (or Econ switch on Yamaha) should be "OFF" when starting large loads to avoid voltage sag.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
And that's the way to go. No need to go without surge protection just because you're using a generator. Just plug this in to the unused outlet, keep your EMS on, and you're good.

Robert doesn't work for us . I still plug the plug in the extra socket . I called Progessive and they said the EMS was not made to work with GFI . It kept popping it . Really don't understand what is going on . Maybe , wiring ? The only way I get power is bypassing the surge . There must be a reason there is a on and off to bypass on the remote for the surge ? We only bought the surge for campgrounds which has worked shutting down power more then once . Same thing was happening to Laura and she has newer Honda's and newer trailer then us . Have heard this can also happen with Yamaha etc. I can put a ground wire on our generator to the trailer to see if that would work just haven't tried that . Pat
Old 06-15-2017, 08:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Yeah that's it. Any small loads on the batteries shouldn't matter and the converter will just pick those up once there is 120V power. One other nuance is that the Eco-Throttle switch on Honda (or Econ switch on Yamaha) should be "OFF" when starting large loads to avoid voltage sag.
Our generator is not a new inverter one even though it looks like it is brand new . It is a Honda 1000EX about 24 years old with a metal case , gas gauge and I can hook a grounding cable to it . So really no comparison to new generators today . When I get a chance will post a picture , a beauty and starts every time when I need it to. Pat
Old 06-15-2017, 08:19 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The reason for the on/off is when you are using a generator. I plug my trailer in at home on a 20 amp circuit with the GFI outlet outside. No issues in any my trailers. You must have a wiring problem. They sometimes do go bad, I replaced several outside in other places.