dump plumbing support strap failure - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2019, 05:36 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
dump plumbing support strap failure

I have 2018 Escape 21, that I'm really enjoying, a great trailer. I noticed yesterday the support strap for the tank dump has come loose on one side and is not supporting the long black drain pipe from the black water tank. The strap is attached to the metal frame on the inside, and the fiberglass body on the outside. It pulled out the screw on the fiberglass side. So, I got a larger screw and proceeded to reattach it. However, the fiberglass is thin and I can't tighten down a larger screw. I can see why there is a problem. Appears to be a design flaw. What to do? Any comments welcomed, thanks
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
Yes, not a good design. On my to do list is to add a 3" conduit hanger and through bolt it thru the floor. Casita does it this way. Just have to figure where to drill the hole.
Eddie
https://www.amazon.com/Steel-6H7-B-R...s%2C135&sr=8-4
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:55 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesPou View Post
I have 2018 Escape 21, that I'm really enjoying, a great trailer. I noticed yesterday the support strap for the tank dump has come loose on one side and is not supporting the long black drain pipe from the black water tank. The strap is attached to the metal frame on the inside, and the fiberglass body on the outside. It pulled out the screw on the fiberglass side. So, I got a larger screw and proceeded to reattach it. However, the fiberglass is thin and I can't tighten down a larger screw. I can see why there is a problem. Appears to be a design flaw. What to do? Any comments welcomed, thanks
I replaced the pipe strap with a 3" pipe hanger attached to a bracket that I JB Welded to the bottom of the frame.

https://www.grainger.com/product/NVE...pe-Clamp-1RVD1
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-...L24Z/202071147

Attach the pipe hanger and bracket loosely to the drain pipe and slide it down the pipe until the bracket is flush with the frame. That gives you the location to JB Weld the bracket to the frame. Scrape the paint off so the JB Weld will hold, attach the bracket with JB Weld, some black paint and it looks like the factory did it.

Much better way of supporting the pipe.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190106_125104.jpg  
Old 09-02-2019, 06:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I replaced the pipe strap with a 3" pipe hanger attached to a bracket that I JB Welded to the bottom of the frame.

https://www.grainger.com/product/NVE...pe-Clamp-1RVD1
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-...L24Z/202071147

Attach the pipe hanger and bracket loosely to the drain pipe and slide it down the pipe until the bracket is flush with the frame. That gives you the location to JB Weld the bracket to the frame. Scrape the paint off so the JB Weld will hold, attach the bracket, some black paint and it looks like the factory did it.

Much better way of supporting the pipe.
Perfect! Thanks for this.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:00 PM   #5

Good ideas, thanks for posts. I ended up just using a longer piece of strap, wrapping it around the drain pipe at the same location, and attaching both ends at the same hole on the bottom of metal frame with the original attachment screw.

Not ideal because the support is off center, and one end of the strap has a 90 degree bend. However, it seems stiff enough to do the job. I'll monitor it for awhile, see how it holds up.

If it fails, I plan to try attaching the support strap end going over the top of the drain pipe to the bottom of the frame (the original hole). The other end going around the drain pipe and coming up, I will attach to the side of the frame rail (a new hole). That will keep the two ends of the support strap straight. The support will still be off center, but this mod will move it a little closer to being directly above the drain pipe, and eliminate the 90 degree bend in the strap at the attachment point.

If that one fails or is problematic, I plan to pop rivet a section of sheet metal maybe 2" square to the fiberglass at the original location, and attach the strap in the original location with another screw (the original screw holding the strap to the fiberglass is long gone). That will center the support of the drain pipe like the original installation, and strengthen the attachment point to the fiberglass. That should work well, and be just like original installation, but stronger.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:03 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Maybe a well nut? Used them often with thin materials.

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Scr...a-744430688138

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:38 AM   #7

Trailer: 2019 19'
You might want to go with the more permanent fix like the pipe hanger. If the pipe becomes at all loose you run the risk of cracking the connection to the black tank. This happened to me on our previous Scamp which took a bit of work to fix.

Ken
Dee08802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:14 AM   #8

Quote:
That should work well, and be just like original installation, but stronger.
The original installation is a poor way of supporting the pipe in the first place. Metal strapping around the ABS pipe will eventually cut the pipe due to vibration, weakening it to the point of failure. Just because it's cheaper doesn't make it better.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Benjamin Franklin
Old 09-03-2019, 09:37 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Perhaps another reason for the foam spray, the foam may provide some support as well as eliminating strap vibration.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:02 AM   #10

One of the 1st repairs I did on my new trailer was fix a black water spade valve leak, came from the factory that way. I'm not complaining about it, was an easy fix. However, I was glad I didn't have the spray foam option, or I suspect would have needed to cut away some of the foam to do the repair. I don't camp in cold weather anyway, so was an easy option to reject.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:19 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
One of the 1st repairs I did on my new trailer was fix a black water spade valve leak, came from the factory that way. I'm not complaining about it, was an easy fix. However, I was glad I didn't have the spray foam option, or I suspect would have needed to cut away some of the foam to do the repair. I don't camp in cold weather anyway, so was an easy option to reject.
We have the spray foam and have had to cut the foam away . Really not that big of deal .
And also changed out the whole body of valves . Changed the plumbing and installed Tom’s better hanger solution for the plumbing .Thankyou again Tom . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:23 AM   #12

IMO the best idea/ solution is the conduit hanger with hole in the trailer floor. Escape could have easily installed it this way, but to fix it now is a fair amount of trouble. I did a quick check, and appears hole to attach the hanger would probably be under the bed between the water heater and the cabinet wall at the end of the bed. Would need to be very careful (measure several times before drilling), there is a hot water line running about where the drill would come up through the floor, if drilling from underneath. I may mod it this way eventually, but I would not be surprised it my quick and easy fix turned out to be a permanent solution. Thanks for all the helpful replies. Cheers
Old 09-03-2019, 11:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
We have the spray foam and have had to cut the foam away . Really not that big of deal .
And also changed out the whole body of valves . Changed the plumbing and installed Tom’s better hanger solution for the plumbing .Thankyou again Tom . Pat
Thanks Pat! My pipe hanger has been on the trailer for over two years now and the piping shows no sign of damage. The rubber on the hanger prevents chafing of the ABS and solidly supports the pipe.

Without good support of the piping / valves, the connection to the grey tank could crack or break. That would be an expensive repair to make.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:15 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
Quote:
Thanks Charles

Perfect timing ... I had just started the dump valve upgrade on my 21 and noticed that the new valve location will require that I relocate this support.

-David
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:43 PM   #15

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Perhaps another reason for the foam spray, the foam may provide some support as well as eliminating strap vibration.
Haha, the one thousand dollar fix.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Heaven View Post
Thanks Charles

Perfect timing ... I had just started the dump valve upgrade on my 21 and noticed that the new valve location will require that I relocate this support.

-David
Your piping is different than the 2017 models but given that I removed all the piping that would be different, this mod will be close to what you will be doing.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...tml#post240325

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post275426
Old 09-06-2019, 08:34 PM   #17

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
As a former Escapee and now An Airstreamer, ya’ll need to learn about Olympic rivets. The perfect solution to attaching things to solid surface materials (like fiberglass and aluminum).
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote