E21 Hose band removal - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2016, 12:51 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Thanks for the pictures Bob. It is done quite differently than my 2010. Tim I'm going to put buying a length of that on my list when we pick up our 21

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:01 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Here's some of my 2014, should be similiar but located in a different spot.

#1 is the braided, it is indeed a pex clamp.
#2 is the other side of the pump, on mine it goes to the winterizing valve and is clear. They used a regular hose clamp on the pump end, pex on the other.
#3 is of all things MOLD, in the line between the winterizing valve and the fresh water tank. Guess I've got to do some sterilizing. There was water trapped between the winterizing valve and the tank in what amounts to a p trap in the hose. Trailers been sitting since May. Guess I need to start blowing it out when not in use as opposed to just draining the system.

Good thing I went to take these pictures.
Thankyou for the picture clarification. I had to remove the line on the toilet to install a shutoff valve . Used a shark bite and put a flexible stainless hose after I cut that line off in bathroom . There was not enough room to install the shutoff under dinette as others did . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:17 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Two things I like better about those cinch clamp type PEX rings I posted above are 1: the tool is fairly inexpensive and 2: they are much easier to grab ahold of and cut off if needed. Each clamp cost more than the solid ring type but it is minimal for most projects. I tried to get myself to use the sharkbite type but they just felt too loose for me to feel safe with.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-14-2016, 01:24 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Two things I like better about those cinch clamp type PEX rings I posted above are 1: the tool is fairly inexpensive and 2: they are much easier to grab ahold of and cut off if needed. Each clamp cost more than the solid ring type but it is minimal for most projects. I tried to get myself to use the sharkbite type but they just felt too loose for me to feel safe with.
Rich the shark bite used on flex line , I cut off, comes into bathroom if it ever leaked on our trailer .Also it seems pretty good on there . First time I ever used a shark bite , got it from a plumbing store and it sure is better then what was on there . And it can be removed . Pat
Old 08-14-2016, 01:28 PM   #25

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I've also used Sharkbites, in the house. Easy to use, expensive, and do the job, but they do not instill confidence.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:37 PM   #26

Quote:
I've also used Sharkbites, in the house. Easy to use, expensive, and do the job, but they do not instill confidence.
Bob since this is a trailer not my home I am good with this solution . Also any leaks it is in the bath . Pat
Old 08-14-2016, 01:43 PM   #27

Since I already owned the crimp tool and had some clamps left over from another job it made the decision easier. I guess I might trust the sharkbite type more in a stationary location than in our rolling earthquakes. (I just love Donna's analogies.)

Old 08-14-2016, 02:06 PM   #28

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Bob since this is a trailer not my home I am good with this solution . Also any leaks it is in the bath . Pat
I didn't mean to infer they don't work, which they do, just that they don't look or feel like they would.

By the way, the clamp cutter tool might not be suitable for plastic fittings.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:13 PM   #29

Quote:
I didn't mean to infer they don't work, which they do, just that they don't look or feel like they would.

No problem Bob . Because they didn't leave me much to work with this is a good enough solution .Pat
Old 08-14-2016, 03:33 PM   #30

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I have used these on flexible pipe on a drip irrigation systems in our garden, but I've never seen them used on higher pressure applications or in a home or trailer.
That does look like a lower-pressure version of the "clinch" option for PEX.

Quote:
Here's some of my 2014, should be similiar but located in a different spot.

#1 is the braided, it is indeed a pex clamp.
#2 is the other side of the pump, on mine it goes to the winterizing valve and is clear. They used a regular hose clamp on the pump end, pex on the other...
It looks like they used a PEX ring #1 because it's a fitting intended for PEX. I have no idea why one would do this instead of using the fitting in #2, which is appropriate for the hose.

Quote:
Two things I like better about those cinch clamp type PEX rings I posted above are 1: the tool is fairly inexpensive and 2: they are much easier to grab ahold of and cut off if needed. Each clamp cost more than the solid ring type but it is minimal for most projects.
A good description of why they are good for homeowners, but anyone doing a large number of connections would likely pay a bit more for tools, save a bit on every connection, and not worry about removal because when you do enough you get good at it.

Quote:
Exactly my opinion.

Quote:
I agree - it looks suitable only for brass fittings. The jaw which goes inside the fitting would need to be much larger and curved to match the fitting to have any hope of not damaging a plastic fitting.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:34 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Ok I am still at it, The hose that broken between the water pump and the cold water line is a clear, braided THIN walled line, Lowes, Home Depot, Aces hardware and various RV stores carry Clear Braided THICK walled hose. The thin walled is fairly flexible so a clamp might work, the thick walled, which fits loosely on the escape connectors is too big for a PEX crimp or clamp ring and too stiff to crank down a hose clamp on it without the gear skipping (ie leaks). I sent a question to Escape, why can't I just use the PEX hose there, or do I actually need a hi pressure piece of hose there. This is like eating an oyster, the more you chew the bigger it (problem) gets!
bjp447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:36 PM   #32

On an added note , I bought the PEX tool and the hose clamps, the ones with the little piece you squeeze not the copper rings. Should that work.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:39 PM   #33

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You want a flexible hose to/from the pump, otherwise with a more rigid connection you will feel the pump's vibration in the trailer. The flexible connections eliminates the transfer of the vibrations somewhat.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:09 PM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjp447 View Post
and too stiff to crank down a hose clamp on it without the gear skipping
You can always dip the end in boiling water or use a heat gun on the end. It will make it soft as putty and you can tighten the hose clamp more than when it's cold and stiff.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:33 PM   #35

Jim and Ron
Thanks 2 good points
Bruce
Old 09-24-2016, 02:25 PM   #36

Final resolution, the clear braid 1/2 hose was too big, the 3/8's too small. heated and stretched the 3/8 to go over the connector and used hose clamps. Have not used it camping yet but did leave it hooked up under pressure for 24 hours with no leak. You know you start off thinking "this is a piece of cake, take me a 1/2 hour to fix" than you go look for a simple piece of hose and you hear "Oh - you got one of those...." You just got to love it! (this applies to boats X 5)