Easier to tow 5.0 or 19ft? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2010, 08:03 PM   #1

Easier to tow 5.0 or 19ft?

thinking about an escape and wondering if the 5.0 is easier or harder to tow than other versions. Tow vehicle is Toyota Tacoma long bed. Any thoughts would be welcome.
hiker43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:42 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Re: Easier to tow 5.0 or 19ft?

We tow the 19 with a Tacoma and no problems at all. (including
one panic stop from 55 MPH ).
Old 09-06-2010, 08:55 PM   #3

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Towed a 17ft Casita, and now a 5.0. They both tow just fine with a WDH on the conventional trailer. However, it's much easier to hook up and unhook the 5.0. Towing the 5.0 (like around corners, and backing) is different since the pivot point is over the axle. While the normal trailer pulls directly behind the tow vehicle, the 5.0 cuts inside, which means you need to pull into the intersection a little before you turn. It reacts a little differently in backing up too, so it's just different. I much prefer the 5.0 personally.
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19

I have a 19 on order but I would have preferred to get the 5.0 because, generally speaking, it is easier to tow a 5th wheel trailer in adverse conditions. I also think that the 5.0 is a better looking trailer in that it is a bit narrower, has a more streamlined look, and has a great layout. The problem is that we almost always have our 2 sea kayaks, or our canoe, on the tow vehicle when we go camping. This was the deciding factor that essentally forced us to go with the 19. Another point is that a truck would not be a good vehicle for my other interests, so I would have to buy a truck just to tow the trailer.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:34 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: hiker43...I can certainly put in a good word for the 5.0 tow!!! We just returned from 16 nights in 5 different locations. Cayuga Lake( Finger Lakes) S.Pk & Wellesley Island(1000 Islands) S. Pk. N.Y. Rideau River Prov. Pk. My brothers house in Orleans Ont. and Emily Prov. Pk. near Peterborough Ont.
We usually have the trailer dropped/ leveled and the chairs out in under 15min. Hookup is a breeze too. Arm the hitch, aim for the pin, and listen for that secure "clank".
Of course you must do all the safety things like hook the break-away switch wire to the hitch handle, plug in the 7pin and do a light check...oops one brake light out... remove the bulb clean the contacts and re insert the bulb...VOILA on your way!!! Alf p.s. This time out I even cleaned the exterior light lenses so the S/T/T and clearance lights shine brighter.
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:21 AM   #6

Thanks for all of your feedback - it's very helpful. I had couple of questions. How hard is it to back the 5.0 into a camping space - I plan on being in some camping spots where you can't pull though. Could one person do this?

Also - does it come with a back up camera or can that be added later? - Thanks in advance.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:43 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: hiker43... I think Reace can wire the trailer for the reverse lamps to work...even add an extra fixture on the back of the trailer. Then as long as your tug is wired the same you could add a cam. to the licence plate/ 7 pin reverse circuit...if you have the "Stinky Slinky" tube mounted under the bumper...I think. Ask Reace or Tammy for sure as specific wiring is best added during the build.
Shorter trailers react to backing up so fast that you need a good lookout back and above... Our 5.0 jack-knifes real quick so it takes a little practice, practice, practice. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:59 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

hiker, pretty much any Escape is easy to back into a spot due to their relatively short length, that is unless you have a monster tow vehicle. A 5th wheel does gain a bit of advantage by bringing the pivot point forward on the vehicle. That said, there isn't a spot that my 19 would fit in that I could not back it into.

You can get remote cameras for mounting on the bumpers. A rear light is something Escape can put on. Frankly, I can't see the need for the camera, but the light could be handy for more than backing up, but mine has not been on in the over 15 months we have had the trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:54 AM   #9

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

As Alf said, the 5.0 reacts differently, and it takes practice...but that's no different from the learning curve on a normal trailer...but if you are really good with a normal trailer, it'll take some "relearning". While the 5.0 is a foot longer than the 19, it's much shorter due to the front end of the trailer being over the bed or your truck, so it's no problem backing into a normal campsite. But, as Jim said, the 19 would be no problem either.
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:23 AM   #10

Great feedback from everyone, thanks for your thoughts. All the versions of the Escape seem to be great rigs and I'm going to check them out further. I'm also interested in the Eggcamper. Two very different vehicles, but both seem very well made.