ebike - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2018, 03:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
ebike

We get a lot of questions about our ebikes at RV parks. Some info jic a member is thinking of buying one. We bought ebikes 2 years ago after a lot of research and trying demos. First of all do not buy a cheap Chinese bike. The components are junk, tires and tubes crap, quality poor and the batteries very dangerous. A good friend almost had his garage burn down when a Chinese bike battery exploded during a recharge. You get what you pay for and danger is part of it. We decided on Haibikes. They are design engineered in Germany and built in Hungary, Taiwan and Germany. You get quality components and either a Yamaha or Bosch motor and a 1st rate battery. The frames are well built and strong especially the mt. bikes. The ebikes require a hitch type carrier that the wheels set in due to weight. We bought a Thule, wasn't cheap but it is the easiest carrier I've used to load and secure the bikes. Ebikes are getting very popular and many of the other major brands are now building them too.
bailiej757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:05 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
James, do you have a website you can post about these bikes for others to shop?
Old 11-20-2018, 04:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
This one has good photos of the mt. style bikes. If you google haibike review you can see many more. My bike is a hard 9 29".
bailiej757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 05:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 2012 Casita
There are a zillion brands of e-bikes out there. Walmart is even selling them on line. I have a Radmini made by Rad City Bikes in Seattle. My mini folds up so I can haul it in the back of my pickup along with all the camping stuff. A non-folding bike would take up too much room.

The mini has fat tires and is fun to ride on woods roads. I also zip around town on it. The bad thing is that I get waylaid outside of the stores by people wanting to know where I got it and other info.

They are having a sale right now. I have about 700 miles on it so far.
Slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:26 PM   #5

Trailer: 2019 19’ Reversed Floor Plan
Just ordered a Super Duty 1UP Bike Rack rated @ 75 lbs per bike. The Trek Dual Sport Electric bike is 45 lbs, & I think it will work. Will be using my non-electric Trek for now, but nice to know the 1UP will work for a future upgrade.
RB Donath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:39 PM   #6

Trailer: 2011 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailiej757 View Post
We get a lot of questions about our ebikes at RV parks. Some info jic a member is thinking of buying one. We bought ebikes 2 years ago after a lot of research and trying demos. First of all do not buy a cheap Chinese bike. The components are junk, tires and tubes crap, quality poor and the batteries very dangerous. A good friend almost had his garage burn down when a Chinese bike battery exploded during a recharge. You get what you pay for and danger is part of it. We decided on Haibikes. They are design engineered in Germany and built in Hungary, Taiwan and Germany. You get quality components and either a Yamaha or Bosch motor and a 1st rate battery. The frames are well built and strong especially the mt. bikes. The ebikes require a hitch type carrier that the wheels set in due to weight. We bought a Thule, wasn't cheap but it is the easiest carrier I've used to load and secure the bikes. Ebikes are getting very popular and many of the other major brands are now building them too.
My wife and I bought couple of $1900 ebikes last year. Yes, these are cheap ones. Your suggestion of getting good ones is very valid. One blew out a tire (fat tires) and they were both so stiff our fingers went numb after a short ride. The cheap components started to act up within the year. We sold them.

My Blog; https://lenanddian.blogspot.com
Old Fulica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:21 PM   #7

Trailer: 2012 Casita
Hmmm, mine was $1400 and it's been doing OK. I had a flat from a goathead so I took it to the local bike shop and he "localized" the tires. The only problem has been that the brake cable seems to be stretching and I have to tighten it. It's no big deal. The bikes are more expensive now because most of the parts come from China and the tariffs affected those.
Slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:20 AM   #8

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
Rad bikes

My friend bought a rad folding bike what a thrill to drive I don’t know how it will hold up but it looks like a quality bike .It seems like it’s the less expensive of the e bikes they are having a Black Friday sale $300 off Jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:24 AM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Rad is coming out with a step-through on the folding bike, too, but right now they have a great sale on.

I figure if I get one and ride it enough to wear it out, then the next one can be more expensive (if needed).
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:02 PM   #10

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Road e-bike

For those who were avid cyclists in their younger years, Trek has a road e-bike with drop bars and the Bosch system that I have my eye on.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...olorCode=black

I have a nice gravel bike that goes on gravel roads (not single track trails) or pavement that I really love, but as I age the hills seem steeper and longer than they used to be. I'm saving up for the Trek and hope to have it by April when cycling season starts. I already test drove one and it was really, really fun! (I like to go fast. )

Edit: Oh, and I already have the 1-UP super duty carrier so bringing with me will not be an issue.

Arnie
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 05:48 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
For those who were avid cyclists in their younger years, Trek has a road e-bike with drop bars and the Bosch system that I have my eye on.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...olorCode=black

I have a nice gravel bike that goes on gravel roads (not single track trails) or pavement that I really love, but as I age the hills seem steeper and longer than they used to be. I'm saving up for the Trek and hope to have it by April when cycling season starts. I already test drove one and it was really, really fun! (I like to go fast. )

Edit: Oh, and I already have the 1-UP super duty carrier so bringing with me will not be an issue.

Arnie
I have a friend with this Trek, Arnie. He has heart issues, and can’t ‘push it’ the way he used to. He finds this to be the perfect solution to keeping up with his faster friends. He highly recommends it!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:07 PM   #12
LRL

Trailer: E23Q; previously: 2017 E21
If you like the Trek, you should check out the Orbea. Can't even tell it's an ebike!
Arcata, CA
LRL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric bike