Electric Awning Not Retracting Enough - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2017, 04:13 PM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Electric Awning Not Retracting Enough

Last night I retracted the electric awning and it was still open about an inch or so in the front. Tried it multiple times. Read the manual. This AM followed the tips on resetting both the motor and the remote. Still not closing all the way. Borrowed a ladder from a fellow camper to look at it more closely. He and another camper came over. None of us could figure out what's going on.

For now it's been duct taped multiple times in the front end to keep it closed until I get home and we can figure out what's going on.

Oh, also tried pressing it closed while it was closing and that didn't help. Cleaned out all the pine needle debris. Didn't help. Back end and up to about the middle are closed properly.

I have a call in to Reace to see if he can help but haven't heard back and don't know if I will get the call as cell coverage is spotty for T-Mobile where I'm at.

Was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to fix it. Obviously I don't need any smarty pants comments from those that don't have the electric awning and will post with glee that they don't want it.

I'm hoping the duct tape (multiple strips) will hold it all in place as I'm a long ways from home. I know I don't have the tools or expertise to remove the dang thing before leaving the campground.

I don't have internet access on my phone in this area and can only check this forum one more time at my friend's place.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/tips/ideas. If I don't reply right away, I'm not ignoring you. I just haven't been able to read it.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:50 PM   #2

Trailer: None now
Here you go.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...ning-9876.html
This seems to be common with these as ours has done it at both ends. Since you reminded me I'll send another email to Dometic asking if there is a torque setting for the 7/16 nuts as they seem to slip.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:53 PM   #3

One minor addition to Reaces instructions, I'd advise taking a pencil and marking the starting position. It usually takes very little movement to fix it and I found only one side usually needs adjusted.
Also since you played with the resetting of the motor later after you have time make sure you have it set so when it is all the way out BOTH arms are off the awning fabric slightly at their centers where the little glide pad is at the top.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:03 PM   #4

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Thanks! and for the tip.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to do some more playing around with it as after I reset the remote and power button when I retracted (to see if it was fixed) the fabric was loose. Oh joy. But it retracted fine so at least the fabric wasn't all gobbered up.

I just got off the phone with Reace and he said he'd email me instructions (that was before I saw your reply). He said it's something that a Dometic repair place won't know how to fix as it's not in their manual. He said they need to update their owner's manual to reflect this situation. And that it'll probably need to be adjusted yearly or when needed.

He also said I could have driven with the awning open in the front, but yeah, don't want to attempt that. Duct tape will work for now.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:09 PM   #5

PS, I didn't see that earlier thread Reace had posted, so I greatly appreciate that link. Yet another thing that would have been nice to email to owners as not everyone is on this forum all the time.

So, guess I'll be traveling with some more wrenches and a rubber mallet! Good thing I have a big ass truck to do all this with.

And more info to add to the owner's manual that I'll be putting together in a ring binder with wads more information included.

But, whew, glad it's something we can fix on our own.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:13 PM   #6

After you get it adjusted perfectly which will take a a few tries I'd advise taking a sharpie permanent marker pen and mark the center of the 7/16 nuts on the awning. That way next time it happens all you need to do is loosen the nut that is not in the correct marked place and tap it back into position. When both nuts are adjusted correctly the awning fabric droop over the center of each arm will be equal. Now you can play with the motor reset to get it so the fabric is slightly raised over the center of the 2 arms. PS this will be very aggravating to do by the way, once you try it you will understand.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:34 PM   #7

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
wen i get my new trailer and its functioning correctly should i mark the the nuts like you suggested above so when is goes out of wack i know where it should be adjusted to?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
wen i get my new trailer and its functioning correctly should i mark the the nuts like you suggested above so when is goes out of wack i know where it should be adjusted to?
I do not think everyone's awnings are doing this or we would see a lot more postings on here about it. But it's an easy thing to do and if it does move is very handy to have as a reference.

Another thing that was not brought up in Reaces instructions is the 7/16 nut does not take much torque to snap off. I've emailed Dometic before asking what this should be torqued to and they never answered.
If they are 1/4-20 the torque would be 8 foot pounds but I hesitate to try it. I have just been snugging them for the moment.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:02 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
I won't say it, I won't say it.