Electrical System 5.0 Classic - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2014, 02:22 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 Classic
Electrical System 5.0 Classic

Hi guys,

Since the 5.0 is in it's new home country it is about time for us to get the electrical part solved.

As you know overhere we use 230V at 50Hz instead of your usual 110V/60Hz.

As i see it i have a few options:
1. Buy a converter with enough wattage (2000?) which changes 230 into 110V and place that converter right between the shorepower line and the WFCO powerstation. In that way i can keep using the powerstation and all the outlets will have 110V. The same goes for the fridge.

or.....

is there a possibility to change out the converter from the powerstation for a 230V suitable one? In that case when we hook the trailer up to shorepower the outlets will have 230V, one thing to remember is that, in this case, we need a smaller (190Watts) 230/110 converter just for the fridge. I'm guessing the 10Hz difference won't hurt the fridge.

I have to say, the latter option is my first choice.

To make things easier it would be nice to have an electrical scheme for the 5.0. I contacted ETI but no luck, there's no such thing as a electrical scheme according to Reace.
Maybe one of you guys has something cooked up? And if so, is willing to share that hard labour?

Does anyone has a suggestion which converter to use instead of the stock one?

I'm open for suggestions.

Have fun!

Severinus and Yvonne
Seef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I would favour the plan to use a 230VAC to 120VAC converter for the refrigerator (or change the internal refrigerator components necessary to make it run directly on 230V/50Hz), and replace the stock 120VAC to 12VDC converter with one that converts 230VAC to 12VDC. This would allow use of Euro-standard appliances (although I would want to change the outlets to match), and would avoid double conversion of the same power. I don't know of any reason why the refrigerator would have a problem

But either scheme will work, and I have not researched specific equipment availability to confirm that this is practical.

Does the trailer have air conditioning? That would require a large converter in either case, so I assume that if you want air conditioning you would add a Euro-spec unit there.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Does the trailer have air conditioning? That would require a large converter in either case, so I assume that if you want air conditioning you would add a Euro-spec unit there.
Okay, I just checked the photos, and there's no air conditioner... so no power concern there.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:26 PM   #4

Trailer: Working on my build list
The people who build boats have had to solve those problems since a boat is more likely to go between countries with different power. Just sail around the Caribbean and you will see several voltages and plugs. I suggest you look at what the marine electricians are doing for answers. Victron Energy, based in your country, is a major supplier of chargers, inverters etc. to the marine market. They might have what you need. Their stuff is very expensive here so you don't see it much in US RVs but it might be cheaper closer to home.
WestEnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:29 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I am not impressed with the stock WFCO Power Center, but they do make a 240V version of it. Power CentersWF-8955E, WF-8955E 240V 55 Amp Power Center

I replaced the converter/charger section with a Xantrex 40-amp TrueCharge2 which is 90-265V AC. Truecharge Battery Charger | Truecharge2 20A, 40A, 60A | Xantrex

There are forum articles on doing it - and I found it to be very straight-forward.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote