Electrically challenged - Page 16 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2014, 11:00 PM   #151

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Myron, can you get to the wiring on the inside to see if the problem is a lack of power (bad connection somewhere) or definitely a failed light unit (power in, no light out)? I don't know what interior bits line up exactly with this location, so I don't know how practical it is to get at the wiring.

LEDs have very long lives, but some certainly do fail early - even though they test fine at installation time - so a replacement is occasionally necessary.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:04 PM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
When I saw the factory sealed units on my 2012 Escape 19 involved rivets and irreplaceable parts, I requested that ETI install the older incandescent models with replaceable bulbs which were "upgraded" with LED bulbs on "BlackJack" thereby eliminating this potential issue. Something to think about when replacing any exterior light units, sometimes the old way is the better way!!
This makes sense, but is also greatly increases the chance of failure due to poor connections (because there are all those extra sockets), and in some cases means inferior light patterns (because a cluster of LEDs are being used in a reflector and lens system designed for a glowing filament).

An LED unit which fails early is likely to fail very early - such as under warranty - so the replacement unit cost might not be such a big deal.

There are reasons that all cars that go to external LEDs use dedicated LED lamps, not conversion units in the old fixtures.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:11 PM   #153

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Getting to that inside wiring is virtually impossible. It is behind the water heater under the bed way in the corner. A skinny 12 year old might get there. I probably will have to drill out the rivets and very very carefully cut away the caulk and I guess re-rivet a completely new unit in place. (Growl-- who (besides Jim) knew?)
Old 02-27-2014, 11:12 PM   #154
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Brian, the wiring in the Escape is behind 1-2" of interior naugahyde on the uppers and as Myron pointed, some of the lower ones are inaccessible. In addition the units are riveted. I was told that screw types could not be used. The marker lights with the led bulbs are very bright and I'd much rather have the ease of access vs with a connection issue to deal with.
There is one non led light, the license plate that you should carry a spare for, it is a small bulb, similar to the interior hood light.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:34 PM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
the wiring in the Escape is behind 1-2" of interior naugahyde on the uppers and as Myron pointed, some of the lower ones are inaccessible.
As expected, but in some cases it would be accessible in cabinet spaces. In this case it appears it would be, if not for the water heater. Worth checking...
Old 02-27-2014, 11:42 PM   #156

It was an easy fix in my old Burro and my old Scamp. Been there. Well I guess I could always remove the queen sized mattress and get a jig saw out, cut open a hatch in the corner.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:35 AM   #157

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
When I messed up the city water check valve in my 19, to repair it I moved the mattress and unscrewed the bed platform. Pain in the backside, but much easier than working while stretched out under the bed platform with my feet hanging out the hatch.

But, if you go that route, it's a good time to install a T-valve in your water line for winterizing, and to put a bag around your shore power cord (if you're inclined).

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2012 Nissan Frontier
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:47 AM   #158

Pain in the backside? You got that right.

It will all have to wait until we get back. My bags are packed, ready to go, I'm leaving on a jet plane.... oh wait, check that... Leaving on an Escape plane, er, plan, be back in a few days.... full report, with pictures no doubt, might be unavoidable.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:04 AM   #159

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
It was an easy fix in my old Burro and my old Scamp. Been there. Well I guess I could always remove the queen sized mattress and get a jig saw out, cut open a hatch in the corner.
Hi: MyronL... Quick ?...Did you check your 7 pin connector first? I always do the simple first as I'm best at that!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Ft.Myers Beach Florida for now
escape artist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:51 PM   #160

Amazing news. The problem light is a problem no more. No explanation why. Can only tell the truth: When we pulled out at 8:30 Friday morning all marker lights were working. When we returned home a few hours ago they were all working. I did nothing. The 7 pin connector was untouched, left plugged in from the previous day when the problem first appeared.

Have no clue. None, nada, nicht, nietz, nope.