Electrically challenged - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Fishgirl, you might re-read my opening post, paragraphs 3-4 for why inverters interest me. Guys know sometimes, when you want the inverter you want the inverter. Logic not necessarily a part of that equation.

Thinking I now also want an EMS. JimCPHarley you just reminded me of a conversation I had with my neighbor Charlie who has a really big old motorhome and swears by his surge protector, wouldn't leave home without it. Pricey, but...(see last sentence in above paragraph.)

Tom your reasons for staying on the Positive side makes perfect sense to me, thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
surgeP.jpg  
Old 02-10-2014, 11:43 AM   #22

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Jim (cpaharley), by AC I meant alternating current, not air conditioner.

Jim B
To each his own. We've gotten used to a climbing into a warm bed and much prefer it to cold once cooler temps set in. Have had no experience with a 12 VDC blanket, where as I do know that AC (alternating current) ones work. For the small draw either route is fine by me.
As far a microwave for coffee, we use it for such whenever we have hookups, same as home. We drink cold brew so it's just add water and heat. And yes, I'm aware I can heat water on a stove and do such now, when need be.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:02 PM   #23

Bob I would plug into the 2 inverter receptacles hidden and run wire to new duplex outlets outside the cabinetry. Is a shunt same as a fuse, or is it a sleeve?
Old 02-10-2014, 12:12 PM   #24

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
The surge protector that Escape installs for more $ than the portable one shown has some additional advantages. It cannot be stolen. It protects against over voltage and under voltage.
On our last trip we camped at a fully occupied large camp site. Their electrical system must have been over loaded because the voltage dropped down to a point where our EMS tripped us out. I would recommend installing an EMS to protect your air conditioner etc. if you plan to visit many different campsites at various times of the year. Voltage ( too high or too low) at a particular campsite will depend on the size of their electrical system and load drawn.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:18 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
We drink cold brew so it's just add water and heat.
This is one method I have never tried yet, but heard good things about. You make up a bunch of 'juice' at one time, correct?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:25 PM   #26

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
Myron, a shunt is nothing more than a precision resistor placed in-line with current flow. Placing a simple voltmeter across the shunt allows you to safely view the current being drawn through the circuit. A 50mV/500Amp shunt would be used to monitor a circuit with an expected draw no greater than 500Amps, preferably less. The voltmeter is calibrated so that 50mV (full scale) is equal to 500Amps, 25mV would be equal to 250Amps, etc.
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:34 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Since I am so far from Escape, I have contemplated buying the one from Camping World. They now have a special installation fee of $39. 30A Hardwire Surge Guard - TRC 34520-002 - Surge Protectors - Camping World. If I get this one, will I need a monitor installed as well? Or is that protector reliable enough? (Of course that would be another $39 plus the monitor cost, which would probably be under my bed.) I have the 17B with the large dinette made up permanently (for me) as a bed.(It is also not enclosed so I can disassemble the bed to get to the electrical stuff. I also can crawl underneath to flip the circuit breaker, which I've done a few times.)
I am always appreciative of input from forum members, especially being technically challenged.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:54 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L View Post
Since I am so far from Escape, I have contemplated buying the one from Camping World. They now have a special installation fee of $39. 30A Hardwire Surge Guard - TRC 34520-002 - Surge Protectors - Camping World. If I get this one, will I need a monitor installed as well? Or is that protector reliable enough? (Of course that would be another $39 plus the monitor cost, which would probably be under my bed.) I have the 17B with the large dinette made up permanently (for me) as a bed.(It is also not enclosed so I can disassemble the bed to get to the electrical stuff. I also can crawl underneath to flip the circuit breaker, which I've done a few times.)
I am always appreciative of input from forum members, especially being technically challenged.
We have the EMS-LCHW30 installed by Escape and made by Progressive Industries. You can also get a version with a remote display. EMS-LCHW30C
Old 02-10-2014, 02:25 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
This is one method I have never tried yet, but heard good things about. You make up a bunch of 'juice' at one time, correct?
Yes, dilute about 1/3 concentrate to 2/3 water, heat and serve.

No oils as it's not heat brewed so if you have heartburn issues it works well.

You use more beans though.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:32 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L View Post
That unit does not have a monitor so it can be installed out of sight. As you said, you may be technically challenged, so a unit with a monitor may be "too much information" It does the same job as the Progressive unit, but without the flashing monitor.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:36 PM   #31

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
Not sure I need an inverter but I wish I had more 12V outlets installed. I have the standard one under the fold up counter top extension next to the sink and an extra one up in the loft at the foot of the bed in our 5.0. Problem is I have a 12V portable radio, cell phone charger, lap top charger, rechargable battery charger, television that runs off a small portable inverter, 12v weather radio, and probably a few more gadgets I can't think of.

We've used alternating current only twice and almost always drycamp or boondock (at Natl or State campgrounds). I feel that all the 120VAC outlets are being wasted.
onetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:49 PM   #32

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Tim - you have options:
Check out your version of Canadian Tire, The Source, or Amazon:
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2014-02-10 at 12.46.19 PM.png  
Old 02-10-2014, 02:53 PM   #33

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Yes, dilute about 1/3 concentrate to 2/3 water, heat and serve.

No oils as it's not heat brewed so if you have heartburn issues it works well.

You use more beans though.
I will have to try it. Always liking to try new methods.

With some coffees it is the oil that gives it a kick, but many processes, especially ones that use paper filters, remove a lot of the oils in the extraction process.

When I use the AeroPress, which is almost all the time when in the trailer, I make a concentrated juice, and add it at about 25% to a cup of hot water.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:17 PM   #34

It is very easy to add additional 12v outlets in your Escape, either by tapping into an existing outlet or an existing light circuit. Your unit has a lot of 12v wires. I believe you can not have too many, I ordered mine with 5 and may add 2 more. Also replacing your 120v outlets with the one with the built in USB can help alleviate the charger/cord mess one can start with recharging all of our toys.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:32 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Tim - you have options:
Check out your version of Canadian Tire, The Source, or Amazon:
Found this one Amazon.com: Multi-Use Vehicle Charger with Dual USB Ports and Dual 12 Volt Sockets - Magnadyne: Cell Phones & Accessories the other day. Was thinking it would work well mounted to the side or underside of something and hardwired into an existing 12v run somewhere.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:37 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I will have to try it. Always liking to try new methods.

With some coffees it is the oil that gives it a kick, but many processes, especially ones that use paper filters, remove a lot of the oils in the extraction process.

When I use the AeroPress, which is almost all the time when in the trailer, I make a concentrated juice, and add it at about 25% to a cup of hot water.
It definitely does not have the kick, it's smooth, maybe even weak tasting to those not used to it. The Aeropress sounds like one I'd like to try.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:11 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
That unit does not have a monitor so it can be installed out of sight. As you said, you may be technically challenged, so a unit with a monitor may be "too much information" It does the same job as the Progressive unit, but without the flashing monitor.
In addition the Progressive unit monitors frequency. A feature that is useful when your source of power is from a portable generator. Power from the grid will always be 60 cycles. The lifetime warranty offered by Progressive speaks to the confidence they have in their product. These products are like insurance. You don't know how good they are until you have an incident.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:31 PM   #38

OK. ... here is what we (me) learned (confirmed) today:
  • None of my duplex outlets have power when boondocking. When converter switch is on and no shore power connected, with Multimeter connected to trailer battery via the + – poles on the converter I get a reading of 12.9 volts. I get the same reading when the probes connect with the cigarette lighter receptacles. 12 volt power! But...when it’s connected to the standard duplex outlets at the dinette, the bed, under the fold-up counter extension, there is no reading, hence no power.
  • Therefore, cannot use battery when boondocking for any appliance if appliance isn't adapted to plugging into the cigarette lighter. This I say, is not good. Inverter needed. With an inverter you can plug into what isn’t a cigarette plug.
(Phew.) Think I got it now. Thing is I got used to expecting I could boondock electricity with them existing duplexes. So easy to take them for granted.

Also like that Prowatt remote panel. Curious thing is it's available on eBay for a whopping NINE dollars more than at RVparts Source online. (??!)
Old 02-10-2014, 04:49 PM   #39

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I use a small 200 watt inverter to charge / run small electronics that don't have a DC cord. I have a three-plug adapter that I plug into the inverter that plugs into the 'cigarette' lighter. A bit messy, but cheap and offers lots of options.

And, see that digital read-out? That gives you the voltage, so you don't need a separate voltmeter ( although I bought one before I realized this inverter serves the same purpose ).
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2014-02-10 at 2.43.39 PM.png  
Old 02-10-2014, 05:44 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRietkerk View Post
In addition the Progressive unit monitors frequency. A feature that is useful when your source of power is from a portable generator. Power from the grid will always be 60 cycles. The lifetime warranty offered by Progressive speaks to the confidence they have in their product. These products are like insurance. You don't know how good they are until you have an incident.
You have to turn off the Progressive EMS if using a generator as most generators are not grounded and it will show a fault. You either have to make a grounded 2 prong plug or bypass the EMS. Research this on the generators forums.