Electrically challenged - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2014, 06:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Electrically challenged

Bought a Multimeter recently. It came without a user's manual. I'm not good with foreign languages. Very slowly, I am getting to know this intimidating instrument.

A contribution by Carol A lit me up. In her post #25, thread "Inverter recommendations," she describes her delight over having Reece install a true sine wave inverter beside the standard converter at the dinette. Carol needed something above and beyond using a cheapo cigarette lighter modified sine inverter thing for non 12 volt appliances.

I understand an inverter can run down the batteries in your trailer quickly if you use a lot of power, have no means of charging the batteries, don't monitor the loss. Also understand if only operating LED lights, furnace, water pump etc you really don't need an inverter.

I may never do it but, if employing sensitive, demanding appliances simultaneously while boondocking, well, you need a really good inverter. I have no intention of running an electric coffee maker or a hair dryer. Regardless, I want a really good inverter.

Ordered a Xantrex PRO Watt 600 Inverter, Model #806-1206 off Amazon and it will be here late next week.

Now I have to figure out how to install it.

Accordingly, have spent today pondering the situation, laying groundwork for the challenge that awaits. I like Reece's configuration, as seen in Carol's post, but when it comes to the actual wiring I really need assurances my plans will not fry anything. Hoping these pix are not too un-self-explanatory. Otherwise, I have no idea what I am doing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg con-w.jpg (168.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Convrt2D1.jpg (123.8 KB, 44 views)

Old 02-09-2014, 06:46 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Myron, your location for the inverter is where I placed the Progressive Industries EMS Progressive Industries in my 19' Escape. Others have placed their inverter on the floor behind the converter in the 19'. Are you contemplating installing an EMS sometime in the future?

Old 02-09-2014, 08:49 PM   #3

EMS?
Enter Momma's Steakhouse? ...Energy Missing Someplace? ...Emergency Motor System?
(Forgive me but this is a very quick reply.) ...What is an EMS?

Think inverter location in my picture will not suffer power loss of consequence due to slightly longer wires. It's also where Reece installed Carol's inverter. What I really need to know is if I have guessed right on wiring into the Converter.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:03 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Electrical monitoring system…….EMS
Old 02-09-2014, 09:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
I was looking at the wiring diagram for the inverter and am wondering why the On/Off switch is on the negative side?
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:12 PM   #6

Isn't that the display above the stovetop vent?
Old 02-09-2014, 09:14 PM   #7

I thought that was as good as anywhere. So on the positive side is best?
Old 02-09-2014, 10:00 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
Myron, I don't have any experience with inverters. All I have is my electrical background, which tells me to always switch the positive side. Switching either side will actually work, but switching the negative side creates a safety problem by leaving a potential on the circuit at all times. If you should provide a path to ground with the positive switched off, nothing happens. Providing a path to ground with the negative side switched off can still provide a shocking experience, which most people don't appreciate. I assume you want to control when the outlets are On more conveniently then using the On/Off switch provided on the converter? In that case, I don't see why switching the positive side won't work when leaving the provided On/Off witch in the On position. Many converters come with a remote control to do just what you want. Maybe yours will be one of them? In the end, I would read the instillation instructions provided with the converter and follow them closely. Sorry I couldn't be more help,
Tom
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:09 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 19' Named Bailey
Is an EMS something I should/can have installed during my build?
FishBioGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:10 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 19' Named Bailey
And why or why not get an inverter?

FishBioGirl is offline   Reply With Quote