Escape 19 bed - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Escape 19 bed

Being in bed recently with the flu has given me a lot of time to think about the bed in the Escape 19 and condensation issues. I have added doubled over reflectix around the bed and the walls are still wet. I am using a mattress warmer and that may be the issue. No other condensation in the trailer EXCEPT around the mattress.
I feel if the mattress was 6" smaller all around it would allow air to eliminate the condensation which is what is needed, but the mattress is a tight fit.
Looking the the newer 21' model it seems there will only be 2 sides of the bed against the wall with the ability to perhaps shift it if needed to eliminate contact with the front wall. Looking at some Bigfoot models I see where they install a hamper around the bed which keeps the walls away from the mattress.
I'm thinking of obtaining a smaller mattress at least 4" which would make the size in between a double and a queen, maybe even going to a double size mattress. Then I'll install some 1X4 oak finished shelving around the 3 exterior sides top with luan sides. These could be flush or a little higher than the mattress to give you a shelf for glasses or what ever. I'll install some extra 12v outlets for charging or plug in lights in the top. Underneath I'll drill holes in the upright supports to allow air circulation between all 3 sides and vent the entire unit to the sink underside. I plan to put a vent directly across from the heater to allow heat to enter under the sink. A exit vent will be installed on the top at the far end of the unit, next to the refer wall. This should allow air to circulate all around the bed and eliminate condensation.
Is any of this a pipe dream and does anyone have any thoughts? With the smaller mattress, installing the surround shelving would finish off the open space vs leaving it open. Thanks for reading.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Jim, I assume this condensation is between the mattress and the walls, correct?

We have not had any problems, but have only been camping at a few degrees below freezing maybe down to -10°C (14°F) a few times. We have had lots of condensation on the windows and frames, that we wipe off, but have not noticed it along the bed.

Do you have any ideas where the moisture is coming from? If it is between the walls and the mattress, it must have run down there, as there would be no humid air present.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:46 PM   #3

Yes, it is wet where the mattress touches the walls. I have the extra insulation plus double window options and this is the only area I find condensation, around the 3 sides of the bed. I want to stop it. It is not dripping down from the windows, the walls are dry. I like to camp in winter, last time it was 15 degrees F. Windows were fine, cracked the kitchen and maxxair handled the entire unit, except around the mattress.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Being in bed recently with the flu has given me a lot of time to think about the bed in the Escape 19 and condensation issues. I have added doubled over reflectix around the bed and the walls are still wet. I am using a mattress warmer and that may be the issue. No other condensation in the trailer EXCEPT around the mattress.
I feel if the mattress was 6" smaller all around it would allow air to eliminate the condensation which is what is needed, but the mattress is a tight fit.
Looking the the newer 21' model it seems there will only be 2 sides of the bed against the wall with the ability to perhaps shift it if needed to eliminate contact with the front wall. Looking at some Bigfoot models I see where they install a hamper around the bed which keeps the walls away from the mattress.
I'm thinking of obtaining a smaller mattress at least 4" which would make the size in between a double and a queen, maybe even going to a double size mattress. Then I'll install some 1X4 oak finished shelving around the 3 exterior sides top with luan sides. These could be flush or a little higher than the mattress to give you a shelf for glasses or what ever. I'll install some extra 12v outlets for charging or plug in lights in the top. Underneath I'll drill holes in the upright supports to allow air circulation between all 3 sides and vent the entire unit to the sink underside. I plan to put a vent directly across from the heater to allow heat to enter under the sink. A exit vent will be installed on the top at the far end of the unit, next to the refer wall. This should allow air to circulate all around the bed and eliminate condensation.
Is any of this a pipe dream and does anyone have any thoughts? With the smaller mattress, installing the surround shelving would finish off the open space vs leaving it open. Thanks for reading.
Hi...... too bad about that flu ......hope you are feeling well now .
We've had a couple of old Trilliums and that moisture thing was always a frustrating issue . My solution was ( aside from ventilation ) was to get sheet vinyl and terry towelling from the fabric store - cut in lengths needed and a little wider than the mattress was thick -stitch together and place it around the mattress with the terry side to the walls , any moisture there is soaked into the terry - the vinyl stopped it from soaking into the mattress . If it was cold enough to be moist I just pulled it out in the morning and hung it in the sun . It worked well , mind you we did not winter camp - but lots of shoulder season - never more than about minus 5c . With the 04 Trillium this was not an issue that liner - often called " rat fur " ( name gives me the creeps ) actually worked .
Old 02-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Yes, it is wet where the mattress touches the walls. I have the extra insulation plu double window options and this is the only area I find condensation, around the 3 sides of the bed. I want to stop it. It is not dripping down from the windows, the walls are dry. I like to camp in winter, last time it was 15 degrees F. Windows were fine, cracked the kitchen and maxxair handled the entire unit, except around the mattress.
I have the same insulation and windows. What is puzzling to me, is where the moisture comes from. It must be through the mattress itself, for it to form between there and the wall, as there would not be any moisture laden air present.

You aren't wetting the bed by any chance, are you?

I have thought of cutting down the size of my mattress by a couple inches, but this is just to be able to better tuck the sheets and duvet in along the sides.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #6

The heat from our bodies is escaping sideways thru the mattress, we have blanket on top of sheets and a heated mattress pad underneath the sheets. This eliminates running the heater most of the time. Does anyone else use this type of set up? Maybe I should switch out, eliminate the pad under the sheets and just use a heat blanket on top and see what develops?
Old 02-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #7

Though you would get some heat loss out the sides like you indicate, that still does not account for moisture, unless it is your perspiration. Is this moisture more prevalent near the top of the mattress, or even along its height?

It could be something to do with the electric pad though. I can't see what that might be. I have never used one before myself so have little experience with them.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
The heat from our bodies is escaping sideways thru the mattress, we have blanket on top of sheets and a heated mattress pad underneath the sheets. This eliminates running the heater most of the time. Does anyone else use this type of set up? Maybe I should switch out, eliminate the pad under the sheets and just use a heat blanket on top and see what develops?
Hi: cpaharley2008... I tend to do the simple things first. Eliminate the pad under the sheets and see if that does the trick!!!
We use our down filled duvet. It's a bit cool to start but traps the body heat soon. Our mattress only touches the front wall and then only the bottom edge as it's a full queen size so needs to bend upwards at the front of the trailer. So far no condensation...but then no winter camping either!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
No bed bugs here.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #9

Trailer: '07 17B
Hi, It sounds to me that you have a condensation issue. There is a dew point between the heated space & the freezing air outside, the colder it is, the closer the dew point is to the inside of the trailer. Here's a product that sounds like it may work, i haven't tried it & although it's made in England, you should be able to find something locally, at a marine supply.
Dry-Mat_Anti_Condensation_Layer
Here's a dew point calculator......
Dew Point Calculator
Gary
GaryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #10

Thanks Gary for the link,
I found something similar here in US on Defender Marine website and ordered enough to do underneath and the bed sides. It's possible the solid bed bottom is pushing the heat up the cold sides. This stuff is supposed to disperse the body heat Hypervent Condensation Prevention Matting
I ordered 14 feet of the stuff but before installation I'm going to drill some air holes in the bed plywood under the mattress to allow more air circulation.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #11

Trailer: '07 17B
Just hope it works!!
GaryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #12

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Thanks Gary for the link,
I found something similar here in US on Defender Marine website and ordered enough to do underneath and the bed sides. It's possible the solid bed bottom is pushing the heat up the cold sides. This stuff is supposed to disperse the body heat Hypervent Condensation Prevention Matting
I ordered 14 feet of the stuff but before installation I'm going to drill some air holes in the bed plywood under the mattress to allow more air circulation.
Heat, body heat or otherwise, isn't the problem. Water vapor is. The warm, moist air released by breathing all night in a basically closed space (the trailer) is condensing on the cool walls by the mattress when the dew point is reached. It's because little air circulates there and that part of the wall is colder than the more exposed interior walls.

The Hypervent product sounds interesting. When you get it, please let us know whether there is adequate space to put it between the mattress and the walls.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #13

I used Hypervent under my mattress in my truck camper and I never had a condensation or mold problem.
GeoBOy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We are using a big Damp Rid container. The first few times we checked, there was no water but the last time, there was plenty in there. Glad we have it.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote