Escape 19 Gross Weight - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2010, 02:54 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Escape 19 Gross Weight

In Wisconsin the Department of Transportation does not require a license for trailers under 3,000 gross weight. I know the dry weght is 2510#. Any guess or have any of you weighted your 19 at different times to come up with weight other than dry weight?

On the same topic the Wis DOT gives you an option of licensing a trailer under 3,000#. It is the same cost as a trailer of 4,500# so it does not matter what weight category the trailer is in. However, is there value in having a tag on a trailer when travelling through other states?

Finally, for all our Canadian friends from the north. Buying from the states allows me to skip PST and GST. OK, but there is not a free ride, I do have to pay a Wisconsin Sales Tax of 5.5%. That 5.5% varies slightly within the state and varies dramatically from state to state. I believe Illinois is charging between 6.75% and 10.5% with the requirements that you need a three day seminar on how to understand what is taxed and how much and where. Do I come out better living in the states?
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Re: Escape 19 Gross Weight

As another Cheesehead, I have always put a plate on any trailer I plan to tow in other states. I have a utility trailer that I don't license, as it never goes more than a few miles from home. Some people get the initial plate but then don't get the renewal stickers - that way they have a plate.

As cheap as the WI plates are for small travel trailers I figure that it's being there helps me not get too many extra close looks by troopers in other states.But then I am never speeding while towing anyway......

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:30 PM   #3

Paul, I would be happy to trade tax bills with you. In Ontario we currently pay Provincial tax of 8% and Federal tax of 5% for a total of 13%. On July 1st this year these will be replaced by a new Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) that promises to lead to an increase in prices for many products and services. For example, it is expected that on July 1st the price of a litre of fuel will increase by 7%. All additional tax on tax.

Bob
Bob120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: All... Don't forget when comparing TAXATION we Canadians enjoy "FREE"health care!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:24 AM   #5

Hi: fudge_brownie...Our 5.0 has a gross weight rating of 3500#. That is the capacity of the axle so that's the total weight the axle can carry. I believe the 19'er has two 2200# axles so that adds up to 4400#'s total load capacity. Alf
Old 04-22-2010, 11:05 PM   #6

We have put our 19 on a truck scale and it comes in at 3200 pounds, water tank 1/2 full and all waste tanks are empty.
jlgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:31 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014

That brings me to the question, how do you weigh an Escape? I know of a local scale, have heard they may allow you to do it for free if you do not need a certified weight, but do you unhook from the TV? It appears you have to just plop it down on the scale. Does it have to be centered?

What about weighing each axle? Any value in doing that?

Jlgray, what else in the trailer? Food, clothing, chairs, full propane? The mother-in-law?
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:49 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

I have not weighed my Escape, but what I did with another trailer was;
1. Weigh the tow and trailer combined
2. Pull ahead until just the trailer axle was on the scale and get the axle weight.
3. Disconnect and weight the tow alone.

1 minus 3 is trailer total weight
Trailer total weight minus 2 is hitch weight
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:11 AM   #9

Hi: All...To weigh an Escape all you need to do is decide if you're going to use a rope or bed sheets tied together Jim...I hate Math!!! Alf