escape 21 door gap - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2018, 02:24 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
escape 21 door gap

my recently acquired E21, when the door is closed, I can see light around it, like the seals aren't sealing, both above and below the door latch. the rubber seals look to be in good shape (heck, its only 2-3 years old). does this suggest the door is warped, or can the catch be adjusted, or what?

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
my recently acquired E21, when the door is closed, I can see light around it, like the seals aren't sealing, both above and below the door latch. the rubber seals look to be in good shape (heck, its only 2-3 years old). does this suggest the door is warped, or can the catch be adjusted, or what?

I noticed that with mine. I occasionally, especially when it is warm, fold the weather stripping out to reset its shape. This seems to help as this type of material has a memory. If it is squashed all the time it tends to flatten out so if you pull it back it can help. That being said I had to replace the weather stripping on my Scamp....maybe the Escape will need new sometime in the near future...it is not expensive.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
my 2012 17 had gaps in the door too i was told i could bring it in and Escape would do something to improve it but i never did -wasn't a big issue for me. i think it was an on going issue with the rounder doors of the classic trailers.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:01 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
my 2012 17 had gaps in the door too i was told i could bring it in and Escape would do something to improve it but i never did -wasn't a big issue for me. i think it was an on going issue with the rounder doors of the classic trailers.
Yes, it was a common issue with those doors. Mine has gaps as well. The "fix" if I recall was for Escape to install some thicker/additional rubber gasket around the door frame.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:05 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
One solution that worked for my 17 was to place 5/8" "Backer Rod" behind the seal in the locations that leak light. I don't remember if it was the door or trailer side, but it only fits in one location. I found the open areas moved with temperatures, but the backer rod worked.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
From Reace:

"We typically will use ½” foam backer rod (Home Depot) and place it in behind the weather strip on the door. It just needs to be pushed back into place so it can contact the trailer seal.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:12 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Gen 1 SS Hinges

John-by sheer luck a company produced for one of their customer's stainless hinges identical to the pot metal ones from Escape Factory. They don't make them anymore, so when they're gone that's it.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...ion-10134.html
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:16 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post

our trailer is the same -- but it is a very small gap. We had a similar issue with our 2012 17b, and used some weather stripping to prop up the rubber seals. It looks a bit distressing, but it turns out we haven't noticed a draft or insects making it in. I suppose if insects were a problem we could close the screen door.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:30 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
One solution that worked for my 17 was to place 5/8" "Backer Rod" behind the seal in the locations that leak light. I don't remember if it was the door or trailer side, but it only fits in one location. I found the open areas moved with temperatures, but the backer rod worked.
That worked perfectly for the gaps in our 17 too.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote