Escape 5.0 Exit Vent Over Bed - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2016, 04:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0 "Day Break"
Escape 5.0 Exit Vent Over Bed

Hi everyone.

I am de-winterizing my trailer this spring and have an issue. I have a 2013 Escape 5.0 and the escape hatch/vent lid over my bed has cracked and more are forming...

I also noticed that the crank mechanism is also starting to separate at the rivets on the inside. It had leaked slightly when I cleaned it last year and assumed it was just a bad gasket, so it’s a good thing I had a cover over it for the winter!!!

I looked and found out that it is made by Heng Industries. I am not sure about the size and have contacted ETI to see if they can provide the information I need. I think it’s a 15x22. I am willing to buy a new vent assembly and cannibalize it for the replacement parts as I don't want to break the roof seals and gaskets.

Has anyone ever replaced the plastic lid and handle mechanism... it seems to me I should be able to get parts easily, but can seem to find directions. YouTube has some good info but not of these type vents from Hengs.

I have a temporary fix on it until I can get the parts I need. When repaired, I am going to put a MaxAir cover on it to help protect the new one. The Georgia Sun is brutal on the plastics... I have already replaced the small round ones that are on the waste tank vents!

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks....

Todd
itoddday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Is it the type listed by Heng's Industries in the Escape Hatches / Exit Vents group under Exterior > Vents > Escape Hatches, Exit, Mini Roof, Plumbing Vents?

Complete vents (frame and all) appear to be readily available:
Amazon.com
Amazon.ca
RVPartsCanada.com
... but they are expensive, and I don't see replacement domes by themselves from those sources.

I only saw one replacement dome in a quick search:
RV ROOF ESCAPE HATCH EXIT VENT LID 15 X 22 90008-C1 from RV Supply Parts (US$86.19 )
... but that provided a part number (90008-C1) so I search for "Hengs 90008-C1" and found more sources:
Amazon.com
RVPlus.com
... and there appear to be lots more. Still not really cheap, but available.

You could also ask Heng's about both retail sources and installation/repair information.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 06:08 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'm cheap, I'd buy JB Weld and a can of Fusion paint (should use that anyway). Fix it that way rather than replace the lid.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 06:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by itoddday View Post
Hi everyone.

I am de-winterizing my trailer this spring and have an issue. I have a 2013 Escape 5.0 and the escape hatch/vent lid over my bed has cracked and more are forming...

I also noticed that the crank mechanism is also starting to separate at the rivets on the inside. It had leaked slightly when I cleaned it last year and assumed it was just a bad gasket, so it’s a good thing I had a cover over it for the winter!!!

I looked and found out that it is made by Heng Industries. I am not sure about the size and have contacted ETI to see if they can provide the information I need. I think it’s a 15x22. I am willing to buy a new vent assembly and cannibalize it for the replacement parts as I don't want to break the roof seals and gaskets.

Has anyone ever replaced the plastic lid and handle mechanism... it seems to me I should be able to get parts easily, but can seem to find directions. YouTube has some good info but not of these type vents from Hengs.

I have a temporary fix on it until I can get the parts I need. When repaired, I am going to put a MaxAir cover on it to help protect the new one. The Georgia Sun is brutal on the plastics... I have already replaced the small round ones that are on the waste tank vents!

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks....

Todd
Sort same like problem with our previous camper . I never could find just the lid , so I had to replace the whole Escape hatch . Maybe you will have better luck . I know you can just replace the 14 in. Standard vents just with lid . It really was easy to replace though , but I could be up on my roof of camper . I don't think you are suppose to be on roof of trailer . It is too thin material . Hope you can just get your lid . I think I paid about 92.00 years ago for hatch . Good luck and I hope it goes easy for you . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 06:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 5.0 TA June 2016
Donna, what is fusion paint and why should a person use it? Thanks.
Jim
jrallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 06:22 PM   #6
Site Team

Jim, it's designed for coating plastics and helps slow down UV damage. Comes it lots of cool colors too. Fusion for Plastic® - | Krylon
Old 04-16-2016, 06:23 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Todd, we replaced the same hatch on our Northern Lite truck camper. The new hatch comes with the hinge and handle attachment hardware. We bought ours at a local RV parts place. If I remember correctly, attaching the handle was a bit awkward, otherwise it bolts right on.

Aerospace 303 really slows down the UV damage and yellowing of all of those plastic bits. I would not want to block my emergency egress from the bed using a Max vent cover. How would you star gaze on a nice night? Scott

Scott and Lori
I like bikes!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 06:23 PM   #8

Great suggestions all... I have attached some photos so people can see what I am talking about.

I did take some clear RTV windshield sealant and coated all of the cracks with it. It was dry to the touch in an hour, and will be cured within 24 hours. this will keep it sealed while I search for a replacement.

I will try to call Heng Industries and see what I can find out.
Attached Thumbnails
2016-04-16 15.32.13.jpg   2016-04-16 15.35.50.jpg   2016-04-16 15.36.00.jpg   2016-04-16 15.36.20.jpg  
Old 04-16-2016, 06:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Skool View Post
Todd, we replaced the same hatch on our Northern Lite truck camper. The new hatch comes with the hinge and handle attachment hardware. We bought ours at a local RV parts place. If I remember correctly, attaching the handle was a bit awkward, otherwise it bolts right on.

Aerospace 303 really slows down the UV damage and yellowing of all of those plastic bits. I would not want to block my emergency egress from the bed using a Max vent cover. How would you star gaze on a nice night? Scott

Scott and Lori
I like bikes!

Wow! I didn't even think about that!!!! Thank you so much! That could lead to a disaster and the consequences I don't even want to think about!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!

Todd
Old 04-16-2016, 06:38 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If you weld and then use Krylon Fusion, Dover White is a match for the gel coat, and you can use the extra to paint the blue/white propane tank cover so it matches.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:38 PM   #11

Trailer: '15 Escape 5.0 TA
https://www.etrailer.com/Enclosed-Tr...ate/61634.html

How about this?
"How can I be lost, if I have no place to go"
t-twnbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:51 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
The escape hatch lid is easy to change out. I would replace it rather then trying to fix it.

Cheers
Doug
Old 04-17-2016, 06:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-twnbob View Post
Did you read the size ? 14x14 . Already said you can get those . He needs 15x22 . Pat
Old 04-17-2016, 06:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
The escape hatch lid is easy to change out. I would replace it rather then trying to fix it.

Cheers
Doug
Find him one Pat
Old 04-17-2016, 06:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by itoddday View Post
Wow! I didn't even think about that!!!! Thank you so much! That could lead to a disaster and the consequences I don't even want to think about!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!

Todd
Because it is over your bed I wouldn't patch . It will pull apart . The lid is one piece . Pat
Old 04-17-2016, 07:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Because it is over your bed I wouldn't patch . It will pull apart . The lid is one piece . Pat

That's good advice, your right, I would just replace it. [emoji6]
Cheers
Doug
Old 04-17-2016, 07:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Find him one Pat

Amazon.ca, rvsupplyparts.com, rvautoparts.com, prvparts.com they're available all over the place.

Cheers
Doug
Old 04-17-2016, 07:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Amazon.ca, rvsupplyparts.com, rvautoparts.com, prvparts.com they're available all over the place.

Cheers
Doug
Even though I couldn't find when I needed . Maybe there is a demand and they decided to part it out . For me I would look at the whole condition and then decide maybe I should do the whole vent or the lid . Going to check this out just for my information . Pat
Old 04-17-2016, 07:46 PM   #19
Site Team

If JB Weld is used to do the repair, trust some other part of the vent will break before the JB Weld lets go.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:48 PM   #20
Site Team

Well, don't know if this is right and the instructions say to make certain you absolutely, positively measure: Appliances : 17" X 24" Vent Lid Only