Escape 5.0 Landing Gear Problem - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 2011 Escape 5.0; previous 2008 Escape 17'
Escape 5.0 Landing Gear Problem

Just came back from an up island long weekend camp. Unfortunately during take down I discovered that the right front landing gear did not work. I used the manual crank and was able to get home. Once there I did some looking about, I swapped out the switches as the left one operates ok, and still no motor on the right, fuses appear to be good. Been to the Atwood site but not much info there.

So no motor on right side, swapped switches to confirm they aren't the problem, fuses are good, having no other electrical issures.

So was wondering if any one had any ideas prior to me calling out the mobile trailer techs.

Conuma
Conuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:29 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: Conuma... I have always wondered if this problem would occur. I'd be in touch with Reace before any one touches it!!! The motor is certainly replaceable as is the whole landing gear unit but I'm sure getting at it is a job for those who put them in there. Ours are 7 yrs. old and have certainly had their share of ups& downs. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 5.0
Conuma, did you check the power connection that sits just under the hatch door? There is a small splice connection in the line that sits just under the hatch along the bulkhead. I didn't know it was even there. Made a panic call to Reace from Vancouver Island where we were stuck and he had us check it, and sure enough, I must have snagged the wire putting something in the hatch and it came loose. It was the right front landing gear. You might check it out if you haven't already . . .
2010 Escape 5.0 (The Escape Valve)
John Culp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 5.0
Forgot to add . . . It's inside the left hatch door, where the landing gear controls are.
2010 Escape 5.0 (The Escape Valve)
John Culp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 2011 Escape 5.0; previous 2008 Escape 17'
All Fixed

Just talked to Reace and discovered there was an inline fuse that got pulled apart. All is working now. Great service from Escape as usual !! As pointed out in the previous post be careful about what you put in the forward storage compartments and make sure you don't snag any wiring.
Conuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conuma View Post
Just talked to Reace and discovered there was an inline fuse that got pulled apart. All is working now. Great service from Escape as usual !! As pointed out in the previous post be careful about what you put in the forward storage compartments and make sure you don't snag any wiring.
Hi: Conuma... Glad it was an easy fix. We had the kill switch accidentally snagged by the power cord. Had to use the manual crank to raise the landing gear... then thinking back about the situation traced it to the switch. WHEW!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 04:14 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Thank you. I know this is an old thread, but when I got home my right landing gear would not work. I thought I remembered something about that so I did a search. And here it is.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:51 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conuma View Post
As pointed out in the previous post be careful about what you put in the forward storage compartments and make sure you don't snag any wiring.
Exactly. When I went through orientation, the fuse and that big ole compartment was pointed out. And is said, you may stuff that hatch full of necessary items (chalks, etc.) but the wiring and switches for the landing gear are right there. With some planning, I think that hatch would be usable. Just have to be very careful
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:43 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Exactly. When I went through orientation, the fuse and that big ole compartment was pointed out. And is said, you may stuff that hatch full of necessary items (chalks, etc.) but the wiring and switches for the landing gear are right there. With some planning, I think that hatch would be usable. Just have to be very careful
Yes glad this was brought up again, I shall have to watch it myself when I stuff things in there.

BTW Donna why do you need CHALKS, do you need to draw lines to help you back into a camping spot?

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:58 PM   #10
Site Team

Dang spell check. Call it what you want (or spelling!) but 5ers need to be chocked differently than typical trailers due to the landing gear (Dennis SAID, don't drag the landing gear when hooking up!)
Old 03-17-2015, 09:37 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I see a need for a modification there to prevent this from happening.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:43 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I see a need for a modification there to prevent this from happening.
Huh? What modification? Dennis told me to keep from dragging the landing gear you place a chock behind the rear wheels and one in the front of the forward wheels. Shouldn't move. Squared up. Unless you GUN it
Old 03-17-2015, 09:56 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I was talking about the interior wire connection being exposed to damage and malfunction, not the levelers themselves.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:15 PM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Just checking to see if I understand the concern here:
Quote:
... 5ers need to be chocked differently than typical trailers due to the landing gear (Dennis SAID, don't drag the landing gear when hooking up!)
Quote:
Dennis told me to keep from dragging the landing gear you place a chock behind the rear wheels and one in the front of the forward wheels. Shouldn't move. Squared up. Unless you GUN it
The 5.0/5.0TA uses the same type of jack for landing gear as the conventional trailers use for a tongue jack; however, the unhitching and (especially) hitching of a fifth-wheel pulls or pushes on the trailer, risking bending the jacks if the trailer moves too much.

If that's it, then effective chocking (or use of wedge devices such as the Rotochock or BAL X-Chock) is the immediate solution. A different jack style could be less vulnerable: normal fifth-wheel landing gear (which are heavy, presumably why Escape doesn't use them) is the obvious choice, but I think single-leg leveling jacks (such as the BAL C-Jack) would work well. Another solution would be parking brakes - commercial semi-trailers with air brakes all have them and that has to be the biggest reason that they don't need chocking, and don't have this issue with their landing gear.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:22 PM   #15
Site Team

Like Dennis mentioned, this isn't hard. Chock the back wheels and the front wheels and the landing gear won't move. That's worked for me. I don't need to Google other solutions....
Old 03-17-2015, 10:33 PM   #16

Quote:
I don't need to Google other solutions....
Neither do I!
Old 03-18-2015, 12:29 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Like Dennis mentioned, this isn't hard. Chock the back wheels and the front wheels and the landing gear won't move. That's worked for me. I don't need to Google other solutions....
Another reason to Chock the front and back is that if you accidentally forget to open your hitch you can very easily push your trailer off the blocks under the landing gear while you are hitching. For that reason I put the minimum amount of blocks necessary under the landing gear. My next door neighbour has his (35' 5th wheel) landing gear up on a stack of 4x4's and it gives me the heebee jeebies every time I see him hitching his trailer. As an aside, to be safe, I like to have any block under a hitch or landing gear at least under 1.5 times as wide as it is high.
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:36 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I was talking about the interior wire connection being exposed to damage and malfunction, not the levelers themselves.
And: back on topic
Old 03-18-2015, 03:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerriJ View Post
Another reason to Chock the front and back is that if you accidentally forget to open your hitch you can very easily push your trailer off the blocks under the landing gear while you are hitching. For that reason I put the minimum amount of blocks necessary under the landing gear. My next door neighbour has his (35' 5th wheel) landing gear up on a stack of 4x4's and it gives me the heebee jeebies every time I see him hitching his trailer. As an aside, to be safe, I like to have any block under a hitch or landing gear at least under 1.5 times as wide as it is high.
I agree. Normal landing gear legs are typically long and have a manual extension in addition to the power travel, so a stack of blocks shouldn't be needed under them; perhaps the neighbor has a raised suspension or is accommodating a steep driveway. The jacks used by Escape don't have that manual extension, so it might be tempting on sufficiently sloped campsites to stack up blocks, and this is a good warning to avoid that.
Old 05-16-2022, 04:16 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
How does one grease the landing gear on a 5.0?
S&SDowdy is offline   Reply With Quote