Escape 5.0 TA Frame looks off center - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2018, 07:23 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA 2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Escape 5.0 TA Frame looks off center

I'm reaching out to other 5.0 TA owners. I've always noticed that the hitch on my 5.0 TA is off center. When I measured it, the frame is off by 2" at the mount points at the top front of the trailer, and off by 1" at the lower mounting points of the trailer. I've attached photos to show what I'm talking about. I'm asking if anyone else's trailers are mounted to the frame this way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FULL FRONT.jpg (274.2 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg UPPER PASSENGER SIDE.jpg (70.7 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg UPPEER DRIVER SIDE.jpg (65.8 KB, 82 views)

Rapha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Have you contacted Escape about this? That is a full inch off center.
Though I doubt there would be any problem with it, I know it would drive me crazy, and I would want it fixed.

ďMost folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.Ē ó Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Have you contacted Escape about this? That is a full inch off center.
Though I doubt there would be any problem with it, I know it would drive me crazy, and I would want it fixed.
Jim, I did contact them, and this is what disappointed me: The person I talked to insisted that they purposely mount the shells off center. I asked why they would do such a thing, and he responded that it's the only way to mount the shell on the frame. Something about not being able to align it otherwise. He also insisted that every 5.0TA looks like that when it leaves their shop. I find that very hard to believe, and I've got to say that it's taken some of the warm and fuzzy feelings I've had about this trailer. I'm already having to deal with a front wheel that tracks to the right. An axle issue. They're telling me to take it to a dealer. Without jumping to too many conclusions, I'm now worried about other quality control issues with this trailer.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
What's important is that if you drop a plumb line from the hitch down and then measure to each hub that the measurement is the same.

I've done enough f.g. work to know that perfect symmetry in large f.g. parts is not a given.

So if the shell sides aren't exactly perfectly parallel to the trailer frame because of a technical mounting issue it's an aesthetic issue but not a mis-alignment of the trailer axles and the hitch that's important to be corrected.

At least that's the way I see it.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
What's important is that if you drop a plumb line from the hitch down and then measure to each hub that the measurement is the same.

I've done enough f.g. work to know that perfect symmetry in large f.g. parts is not a given.

So if the shell sides aren't exactly perfectly parallel to the trailer frame because of a technical mounting issue it's an aesthetic issue but not a mis-alignment of the trailer axles and the hitch that's important to be corrected.

At least that's the way I see it.

Ron
Good advice.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:02 PM   #6
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapha View Post
I'm reaching out to other 5.0 TA owners. I've always noticed that the hitch on my 5.0 TA is off center. When I measured it, the frame is off by 2" at the mount points at the top front of the trailer, and off by 1" at the lower mounting points of the trailer. I've attached photos to show what I'm talking about. I'm asking if anyone else's trailers are mounted to the frame this way.
Hi Rapha,
Really supersized no other 5.0 owners responded to you ? I just want to let you know you are not the only one with this body miss alignment. Looks like Jim's is center so not all trailer come from the factory miss aligned. maybe this should be added to orientation check list ? "Check Trailer Body Alignment to Frame"
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:28 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
maybe this should be added to orientation check list ? "Check Trailer Body Alignment to Frame"
But is anyone really going to do that, complete with the chassis measurements which Ron described? And if the chassis is okay but this measurement of the body is off, is anyone going to measure to other points on the body (such as the side seam? And if the full set of measurements is not acceptable (against some unknown standard), what would anyone do about it?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:02 PM   #8

Trailer: 50 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
Hi Rapha,
Really supersized no other 5.0 owners responded to you ? I just want to let you know you are not the only one with this body miss alignment. Looks like Jim's is center so not all trailer come from the factory miss aligned. maybe this should be added to orientation check list ? "Check Trailer Body Alignment to Frame"
🤨Well I had to go out and check mine. Itís not centered! Now I have had trailer for about a year and half and never noticed. Lost count of all the people that have looked at and admired it, guess none of them noticed either.🤔 Sooooo, looks good, works great, guess Iíll just forget about it and continue to enjoy my really nice trailer😎
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:17 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Satisfaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
🤨Well I had to go out and check mine. Itís not centered! Now I have had trailer for about a year and half and never noticed. Lost count of all the people that have looked at and admired it, guess none of them noticed either.🤔 Sooooo, looks good, works great, guess Iíll just forget about it and continue to enjoy my really nice trailer😎
Thatís a positive spirit and one that leads to sound sleep. Our 21 is one with the window in the front. Itís significantly off set due to the bath in the corner. Had a guy point out to me that they really screwed up centering the front window. He had not been in our Escape or any others for that matter. Gotta love it. My favorite trailer tour comment ever was from a fellow at land between the lakes. He had a 13 foot Scamp and upon walking into the 21 he calls out to his friend,
ďHey Jerry you gotta see this, itís a like a hotel in here.Ē
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:23 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
[...] My favorite trailer tour comment ever was from a fellow at land between the lakes. He had a 13 foot Scamp and upon walking into the 21 he calls out to his friend,
ďHey Jerry you gotta see this, itís a like a hotel in here.Ē
Iowa Dave

I bought a 21' after having a 13' Scamp and I agree. We refer to it as our "luxurious life".

ericw is offline   Reply With Quote