Escape 5.0 TA Frame looks off center - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 06:23 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA 2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Escape 5.0 TA Frame looks off center

I'm reaching out to other 5.0 TA owners. I've always noticed that the hitch on my 5.0 TA is off center. When I measured it, the frame is off by 2" at the mount points at the top front of the trailer, and off by 1" at the lower mounting points of the trailer. I've attached photos to show what I'm talking about. I'm asking if anyone else's trailers are mounted to the frame this way.
Attached Thumbnails
FULL FRONT.jpg   UPPER PASSENGER SIDE.jpg   UPPEER DRIVER SIDE.jpg  
Old 11-08-2018, 06:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Have you contacted Escape about this? That is a full inch off center.
Though I doubt there would be any problem with it, I know it would drive me crazy, and I would want it fixed.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-08-2018, 06:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Have you contacted Escape about this? That is a full inch off center.
Though I doubt there would be any problem with it, I know it would drive me crazy, and I would want it fixed.
Jim, I did contact them, and this is what disappointed me: The person I talked to insisted that they purposely mount the shells off center. I asked why they would do such a thing, and he responded that it's the only way to mount the shell on the frame. Something about not being able to align it otherwise. He also insisted that every 5.0TA looks like that when it leaves their shop. I find that very hard to believe, and I've got to say that it's taken some of the warm and fuzzy feelings I've had about this trailer. I'm already having to deal with a front wheel that tracks to the right. An axle issue. They're telling me to take it to a dealer. Without jumping to too many conclusions, I'm now worried about other quality control issues with this trailer.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
What's important is that if you drop a plumb line from the hitch down and then measure to each hub that the measurement is the same.

I've done enough f.g. work to know that perfect symmetry in large f.g. parts is not a given.

So if the shell sides aren't exactly perfectly parallel to the trailer frame because of a technical mounting issue it's an aesthetic issue but not a mis-alignment of the trailer axles and the hitch that's important to be corrected.

At least that's the way I see it.

Ron
Old 11-08-2018, 07:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
What's important is that if you drop a plumb line from the hitch down and then measure to each hub that the measurement is the same.

I've done enough f.g. work to know that perfect symmetry in large f.g. parts is not a given.

So if the shell sides aren't exactly perfectly parallel to the trailer frame because of a technical mounting issue it's an aesthetic issue but not a mis-alignment of the trailer axles and the hitch that's important to be corrected.

At least that's the way I see it.

Ron
Good advice.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:02 PM   #6
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapha View Post
I'm reaching out to other 5.0 TA owners. I've always noticed that the hitch on my 5.0 TA is off center. When I measured it, the frame is off by 2" at the mount points at the top front of the trailer, and off by 1" at the lower mounting points of the trailer. I've attached photos to show what I'm talking about. I'm asking if anyone else's trailers are mounted to the frame this way.
Hi Rapha,
Really supersized no other 5.0 owners responded to you ? I just want to let you know you are not the only one with this body miss alignment. Looks like Jim's is center so not all trailer come from the factory miss aligned. maybe this should be added to orientation check list ? "Check Trailer Body Alignment to Frame"
Old 11-09-2018, 04:28 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
maybe this should be added to orientation check list ? "Check Trailer Body Alignment to Frame"
But is anyone really going to do that, complete with the chassis measurements which Ron described? And if the chassis is okay but this measurement of the body is off, is anyone going to measure to other points on the body (such as the side seam? And if the full set of measurements is not acceptable (against some unknown standard), what would anyone do about it?
Old 11-09-2018, 05:02 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Hi Rapha,
Really supersized no other 5.0 owners responded to you ? I just want to let you know you are not the only one with this body miss alignment. Looks like Jim's is center so not all trailer come from the factory miss aligned. maybe this should be added to orientation check list ? "Check Trailer Body Alignment to Frame"
🤨Well I had to go out and check mine. It’s not centered! Now I have had trailer for about a year and half and never noticed. Lost count of all the people that have looked at and admired it, guess none of them noticed either.🤔 Sooooo, looks good, works great, guess I’ll just forget about it and continue to enjoy my really nice trailer😎
Old 11-09-2018, 05:17 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Satisfaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
🤨Well I had to go out and check mine. It’s not centered! Now I have had trailer for about a year and half and never noticed. Lost count of all the people that have looked at and admired it, guess none of them noticed either.🤔 Sooooo, looks good, works great, guess I’ll just forget about it and continue to enjoy my really nice trailer😎
That’s a positive spirit and one that leads to sound sleep. Our 21 is one with the window in the front. It’s significantly off set due to the bath in the corner. Had a guy point out to me that they really screwed up centering the front window. He had not been in our Escape or any others for that matter. Gotta love it. My favorite trailer tour comment ever was from a fellow at land between the lakes. He had a 13 foot Scamp and upon walking into the 21 he calls out to his friend,
“Hey Jerry you gotta see this, it’s a like a hotel in here.”
Iowa Dave
Old 11-09-2018, 05:23 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
[...] My favorite trailer tour comment ever was from a fellow at land between the lakes. He had a 13 foot Scamp and upon walking into the 21 he calls out to his friend,
Iowa Dave

I bought a 21' after having a 13' Scamp and I agree. We refer to it as our "luxurious life".
Old 11-09-2018, 05:58 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I dont think it ever would have occurred to me to meaure this, and doubt with my eyes I would have seen the inch. Makes me wonder how off my Scamps have been over the years.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:05 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Sometimes we don't know what we think we know.
Reminds me of the guy who tightened all the screws fastening his aluminum siding to his house because they were "loose" ( to allow for expansion ).
Old 11-09-2018, 06:07 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Sometimes we don't know what we think we know.
Reminds me of the guy who tightened all the screws fastening his aluminum siding to his house because they were "loose" ( to allow for expansion ).
Heh heh heh and a new look!
Old 11-09-2018, 07:55 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapha View Post
Jim, I did contact them, and this is what disappointed me: The person I talked to insisted that they purposely mount the shells off center. I asked why they would do such a thing, and he responded that it's the only way to mount the shell on the frame. Something about not being able to align it otherwise. He also insisted that every 5.0TA looks like that when it leaves their shop. I find that very hard to believe, and I've got to say that it's taken some of the warm and fuzzy feelings I've had about this trailer. I'm already having to deal with a front wheel that tracks to the right. An axle issue. They're telling me to take it to a dealer. Without jumping to too many conclusions, I'm now worried about other quality control issues with this trailer.
Sounds like the person you talked to was just trying to make things go away without a fuss. I would pursue this further.

The fiberglass shell is made in a mould so it seems unlikely to me that it was manufactured in an " out of shape" configuration. Most likely it was either a misalignment error when positioning the shell on the frame, or more likely, the frame itself was manufactured off square resulting in the misaligned front. Maybe a new frame could be required.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Old 11-09-2018, 08:41 PM   #15

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
That’s a positive spirit and one that leads to sound sleep. Our 21 is one with the window in the front. It’s significantly off set due to the bath in the corner. Had a guy point out to me that they really screwed up centering the front window. He had not been in our Escape or any others for that matter. Gotta love it. My favorite trailer tour comment ever was from a fellow at land between the lakes. He had a 13 foot Scamp and upon walking into the 21 he calls out to his friend,
Iowa Dave
Hey Dave, that’s exactly what we said when we went in the ETI showroom’s 21 after deciding we were upgrading from our 17B! We are now only 5 weeks away from our very own!
Old 11-09-2018, 09:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
Sounds like the person you talked to was just trying to make things go away without a fuss. I would pursue this further.

The fiberglass shell is made in a mould so it seems unlikely to me that it was manufactured in an " out of shape" configuration. Most likely it was either a misalignment error when positioning the shell on the frame, or more likely, the frame itself was manufactured off square resulting in the misaligned front. Maybe a new frame could be required.
Dave, I have to agree with you. Honestly, what set me off the most is that the person I spoke with told me that every 5.0 TA that leaves their shop is off the same way, with the hitch pointing to the right. I've already seen evidence to the contrary. This kind of insults my intelligence, and I feel like we're getting off on the wrong foot unnecessarily. I did notice the molding on both sides of the mounting points. It looks to me like it's symmetrical, and looks like it's designed to accept a center mounting. I suspect the frame wasn't entirely square to begin with, and this was the best they could manage when mounting the shell. I'm still trying to communicate with Escape to get to the bottom of this thing. I'll finish measurements over the weekend. Maybe it won't be such a big deal after all. I'll post an update as soon as I can.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Hi Rapha,
Thanks for your feedback. I did tell them that I found it hard to believe that they purposely misaligned every shell during production. I went so far as ask why in the world they wouldn't re-engineer the design so that it would be mounted straight. No answer to that question. It might have been better if they simply admitted that they don't get every one straight.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:45 AM   #18
Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
But is anyone really going to do that, complete with the chassis measurements which Ron described? And if the chassis is okay but this measurement of the body is off, is anyone going to measure to other points on the body (such as the side seam? And if the full set of measurements is not acceptable (against some unknown standard), what would anyone do about it?
Hi Brian B-P,
I do not anticipate anyone taking extensive measurements, the good news is they do not have to. The pictures Rapha provided clearly show a 2" misalignment which would be easily identifiable with the naked eye.
So far three 2nd gen 5.0 owners have identified a 2" body/frame misalignment , Jim's comments seems to indicate his is centered ? Hum.
It would be nice if other "2ND GEN 5.0 Owners" would take a minute of their time and check their trailers then post back. Yes my trailer is off center or NO my trailer is center, simple enough.
As far as what can be done ? while that would depend, is ETI being truthful ? are all 5.0 shells mounted on the frames off center ? I think this is a very important question and should be answered properly by Reace. Reace is well aware of this issue and should address it and clear things up. Seems logical to me and beats all the speculation.
Tin.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:31 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... I can't believe this "Tempest in a tea cup". So you know I just measured our 2014 5.0TA and in front of the upper fish plates one side measures 5" to the pontoon and the other side measures 4 5/8" frame to poontoon.
Due to the controversy I will stop recomending people buy these miss made trailers. They might be better off getting a "Stickey" trailer put together with a staple gun!!! SHEESH Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Old 11-10-2018, 11:43 AM   #20
Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: All... I can't believe this "Tempest in a tea cup". So you know I just measured our 2014 5.0TA and in front of the upper fish plates one side measures 5" to the pontoon and the other side measures 4 5/8" frame to poontoon.
Due to the controversy I will stop recomending people buy these miss made trailers. They might be better off getting a "Stickey" trailer put together with a staple gun!!! SHEESH Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
"2ND GEN 5.0 Owners" is yours a 2ND GEN ? oh I see.
Closed Thread