Escape Batteries - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2019, 03:09 PM   #41

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlvanasse View Post
Go to You Tube and check out Lithium Ion Batteries. If you are keeping your rig for a long time they are the least expensive alternative. The other advantage is a 200 amp hour battery gives you the full 200 amp hours, not the 50% draw of any other battery. They also last 10+ years, rahter than the 3 - 5 years of any wet cell battery. Worth checking out!
That's the sales pitch, but it isn't that simple. For one thing, the idea that 100% discharge is safe for the battery is simply not true - electric cars using lithium ion batteries avoid the extremes on both the charge and discharge ends of the cycle, typically discharging to only 80% depth of discharge and not fully charging so less than 80% of the nominal capacity is used. A good (not cheap and typical) lead-acid can withstand much more than 50% discharge repeatedly. Lifetime is not really established for most lithium chemistries, because they haven't been in common use for that long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
I agree lithium is the way to go but I understand it's not just a simple battery switch. I'm not sure the factory installed charge controller is optimum for a lithium.
True. LiFePO4 type lithium ion batteries are the most suitable for RV use, but even then the charging voltage won't likely be right, and the lithium cells need a protective battery management system (usually an integral part of the "12 volt" battery unit). Cold weather can be a problem.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:48 PM   #42

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
I think this season the show starts June 2 but in Medora ND in the Teddy Roosevelt National Park they have an amphitheater and during the summer months they put on a show about Teddy Roosevelt. The amphitheater is located in a spot with an incredible view and the show I thought was very good. Also, just below the ridgeline along the nearby river is very nice campground. This would be a little side trip off your route but well worth it. Some my Montana friends said I had to go there and I thought well OK but I really enjoyed the experience. jn
Thanks Jim, this sounds really good to us. We were planning on heading south to I 94 at Minot, we may just do it a few miles sooner. We planned on staying a 3 days in that part of North Dakota but hadn't considered this. This will fit in well. Is the campground you referenced fairly close (a mile or so) to the Amphitheater in the NE direction? The name of that campground is Mendora Campground.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:09 PM   #43

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
Thanks Jim, this sounds really good to us. We were planning on heading south to I 94 at Minot, we may just do it a few miles sooner. We planned on staying a 3 days in that part of North Dakota but hadn't considered this. This will fit in well. Is the campground you referenced fairly close (a mile or so) to the Amphitheater in the NE direction? The name of that campground is Mendora Campground.
That's it. Also, around Glacier if you haven't done it, Going to the Sun Highway. If you could get a camping spot around St. Mary's lake in Glacier that would be super. We stayed at the St Mary's Lodge once and in that area I saw more mountain goats and grizzly bears than any other place I've visited. On your way West if you do I94 then I90 you'll pass just south of the little town of Big Timber. You can see the Crazy Mountains to the north. Our place was about 15 miles due east of the highest peak. Have a great trip jn
jnfrombigt is offline   Reply With Quote