Escape Batteries - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2019, 09:55 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Escape Batteries

I'm picking up a 5.0TA end of June. I understand the standard batteries are wet cell/flooded. Is there a 12v charge controller that needs to be adjusted to AGM when I switch to a sealed battery? Has anybody had any experience with "carbon foam" sealed batteries?
jnfrombigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
What batteries are on your build sheet now?
Old 03-01-2019, 10:09 PM   #3

I have the standard battery whatever that is. I requested info about the battery from Escape but got no reply.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:02 AM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The standard battery is always a flooded 12-volt battery of the same brand as the optional batteries (which has been and presumably still is Interstate). The size may have changed over the years, but is currently listed as a Group 27 (so it would be the SRM-27).

The charger/converter is built into the WFCO 8955 Power Center. According to the WFCO manual, there are no settings which can be changed to suit the battery type.

If you get a solar package, it includes a charge controller. The provided model changed occasionally, but it probably does have configuration switches to set charging voltages.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:08 AM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The carbon foam batteries from Firefly are still lead-acid, but apparently use plates of carbon foam with lead deposited on them. It makes some sense to me, but I have no idea how well it works.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:38 AM   #6

Thanks Brian I personally prefer sealed batteries but I'm sure the wet cell Interstate works fine. I already have an AGM 100ah deep cycle and if there are no charging conflicts with the Escape system I plan to alternate batteries with one on standby. Not hooked up to the system but available. I think the solar system they offer seems like a good option price wise but I am running up against a limit on what I could afford and will have to put that off for now.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:51 AM   #7

I'm interested in the Carbon Fiber (Firefly) because you have more useful capacity. I also think proper battery maintenance would be less of a headache with the Firefly but they cost about 2 1/2-3 times what an AGM would cost but still less than a Lithium. There's a company in the Seattle area that carries the Firefly and being in the area to pick up the Escape would make getting a Firefly more convenient.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:07 AM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
I think the solar system they offer seems like a good option price wise but I am running up against a limit on what I could afford and will have to put that off for now.
I believe I read somewhere that Escape has a “Solar Ready” option which includes the major wiring. If so, maybe that is a good middle ground and will save you some headaches later?
Old 03-02-2019, 07:18 AM   #9

I had the solar ready option on the build sheet but removed it. One reason was that I'm thinking portable panels might be better for my situation. The roof mounted are very convenient but there are some situations where a moveable panel would be preferable. I think the solar ready option connector is on the roof and that would be inconvenient with moveable panels. Tradeoffs either way.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:56 AM   #10

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
I would go with whole solar option, but if that is not affordable than the solar ready would be next best and with less headaches later.

Adding portable solar to existing system is easy and you get best of both worlds.

I regret not getting at least the solar ready option.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:34 AM   #11

Hey Kent Lived over north of Big Timber for 15 years and had a cabin up the Boulder in the Gallatin National Forest 5 years prior to that. I would get the solar package but I had to cut the cost somewhere in order to afford the thing. Yes, it would be better to have a factory wired system. That was the main reason for going ahead and ordering the backup camera. Just so many things that I can pay for.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:11 PM   #12

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Can't say what solar ready is these days, but when I got it it was just the panel cables run from the roof to the batteries. They used a cable gland going thru the roof, had mc4's on the roof end, and sealed with Proflex, cable ran down behind the corner piece. Not a big deal to do yourself.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:23 PM   #13

Like I mentioned, I think for my uses portable panels would be more beneficial. Less convenient I realize. My thoughts are that for portable panels mounting a connector on the roof would be of little use. That reminds me of another question. Where on the 5.0 TA is the battery located? It appears to be under the dinette bench and probably the driver's side. Externally, adjacent to the battery area would seem to be a better location for portable panels.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:31 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
That reminds me of another question. Where on the 5.0 TA is the battery located? It appears to be under the dinette bench and probably the driver's side.
Standard dinette, under the passenger side dinette bench. U-shape dinette, along back wall, closer to passenger side. In either dinette, the water heater is on the drivers side rear dinette.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:48 PM   #15

Thanks I getting the U shaped dinette so middle bench near the passenger side.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:26 PM   #16

Trailer: 2018 17A
Don't most portable panels have a sign on them that says: "Steal Me"?
noblets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 01:49 PM   #17

Shucks I thought all campground folks were honest and trustworthy
Old 03-02-2019, 01:50 PM   #18

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Like I mentioned, I think for my uses portable panels would be more beneficial. Less convenient I realize. My thoughts are that for portable panels mounting a connector on the roof would be of little use. That reminds me of another question. Where on the 5.0 TA is the battery located? It appears to be under the dinette bench and probably the driver's side. Externally, adjacent to the battery area would seem to be a better location for portable panels.
A lot of folks have been getting a "Zamp" port, which is really an SAE connector, installed by ETI. For most this is connected to the trailers olar controller. Might be able to ask ETI to install the connector and to leave the pigtails at the batteries. You could get it installed either on the passengers side near the external 120vac receptacle or maybe at the back of the trailer i that sounds better to you.

This https://www.zampsolar.com/solar-port is the port. You could also install it yourself, I did mine. The batteries are in the passenger rear corner so there is no fishing of cables involved. There are other options to the SEA connectors, but this is what ETI uses.

Never heard of a portable panel being stolen, might be the sign scares crooks off.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:58 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Can't say what solar ready is these days, but when I got it it was just the panel cables run from the roof to the batteries. They used a cable gland going thru the roof, had mc4's on the roof end, and sealed with Proflex, cable ran down behind the corner piece. Not a big deal to do yourself.
You were lucky , ours was only 10 gauge wire run from kitchen cabinet down to dinette bench on the passenger side , extra coiled . There was nothing through the roof etc. I did end up using it though for something else so...... Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 02:13 PM   #20

When they send the build pictures and during the orientation I'm going to focus on where the factory wiring runs in the back of the trailer. It shouldn't be difficult drilling a hole to the outside from the dinette area for the connector and placing the charge controller where the factory installed solar charge controller is located. What does escape use for a charge controller with their solar systems, PWM or MPPT?