Escape coax wiring and Sat TV - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2019, 10:52 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
Escape coax wiring and Sat TV

On our 2019 E21 build sheet, we requested that Escape provide coax wiring so that we can use campground CATV, OTA TV with the Jack antenna (which we purchased from ETI) and Sat TV with a portable Dish dome antenna. I have found that the first two work as expected. However, I am unable to get the Sat Dome to work using the coax port on the side of the trailer and the Escape wiring inside the trailer. Sat TV works fine with coax run directly from the receiver to the dome, bypassing the Escape wiring and Jack TV A/B switch. A work-around would be for me to install another coax inlet port on the side of the trailer and new coax inside for the Sat dome and Sat receiver. Has anyone run into this situation and figured out a way to use the Escape coax wiring with Sat TV? I am guessing that the problem is somehow related to the OTA Jack antenna A/B switch but have not tested that guess yet to see.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:13 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Yes you need a direct run from the dish to the box, at least that’s what I found.
Hope this helps.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1423.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	371.5 KB
ID:	37800Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1425.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	313.5 KB
ID:	37801
Old 03-26-2019, 11:37 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Yes you need a direct run from the dish to the box, at least that’s what I found.
Hope this helps.
Attachment 37800Attachment 37801
Quad shield RG6 is recommended
Old 03-26-2019, 11:40 AM   #4

Dave answers the question

Just received this morning from Dave after posting my message to the forum:
>>Sorry for the confusion but you can not run a satellite signal through the power booster for the jack Tv, this would require a separate coax port.<<

I then sent Dave copies of email messages exchanged with our sales consultant in which a second coax port for Sat TV was promised by did not get installed in our build. I guess I am on the hook for this additional port and coax wiring despite it being promised by ETI.

So to answer my own question, no, you cannot use ETI provided coax for a Sat receiver and dome if you have the Jack TV antenna. I will have to see if I can somehow bypass the Jack TV antenna A/B switch when we want to use our Sat dome.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
You can rewire the jack and coax as I did.

Remove the jack cover plate by the TV.

FInd the coax run from the external jack (by the water heater.) Add a second jack and connect the coax to it. It was very tight, not easy to disconnect and reconnect the external coax.

You can now get campground cable or satellite TV using the new jack.

You can get OTA TV using the ETI jack.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 04:50 PM   #6

False corners in upper cabinets over dinette- E21

For those who have run wiring or coax into an upper cabinet above the dinette from below, how did you deal with those Luan plywood false panels that cover up the corners? I can cut a hole with a hole saw but I am hoping someone had a trick to get wire or coax fished throgh that corner. The Luan pieces are stapled in with multiple small staples so no way to remove it without damage to the piece. Any suggestions to share?
Old 03-27-2019, 05:59 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Escape coax wiring and Sat TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chama View Post
For those who have run wiring or coax into an upper cabinet above the dinette from below, how did you deal with those Luan plywood false panels that cover up the corners? I can cut a hole with a hole saw but I am hoping someone had a trick to get wire or coax fished throgh that corner. The Luan pieces are stapled in with multiple small staples so no way to remove it without damage to the piece. Any suggestions to share?

The staples aren’t that long Lorin, if you work at it you can pull that panel out with no damage, mine was only stapled at that small piece at the bottom. After I used that trim piece to hold it back in place with a screw in the center.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4463.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	37823Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4461.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	37824Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4462.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	330.8 KB
ID:	37825
Old 03-27-2019, 06:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
The last one I removed to run some wiring ended up removing the pine 1"X1" the panel was nailed to. After notching the panel, I pulled the staples, nailed the 1"X1" back in place, then re stapled the panel. Both done with $30.00 Harbor Freight nailers/staplers that are still working after the job!

I have managed to run a pair of #14 wires between the plywood & the vinyl, but I wouldn't do that with coax unless I was able to make a coax sized hole. I'd be concerned about pinching the coax & changing its impedance.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:10 PM   #9

Doug,
I knew this would happen! As soon as I posted my latest question about that corner piece, I went back out to the trailer and looked some more at that corner. I realized since the wall covering is pretty soft, all I had to do was poke the coax through where is was easy and both ends were accessible then work it back into the inaccessbile corner and down the seam of the insulation to the lower bay. Worked like a charm. Cable run, problem solved. No holes or staple removal. Yea!
Lorin
Old 03-27-2019, 06:39 PM   #10

Jon, thanks for the tip. Hadn't considered that issue. I will see if I can make a coax sized hole for the coax to go through now that I have it in behind that dreaded corner blocker Luan piece.