Exchange rates - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Old 09-12-2010, 02:14 PM   #11
Re: Exchange rates

Good idea about the bank drafts. Don't worry about getting it exact! We paid Tammy within a couple of hundred dollars by "wiring" the money (but you never know exactly how much was going). When we picked up Hokie, she just figured the difference and I wrote her a check that day. Simple enough!
And we sure have enjoyed out 5.0!!!!!!!

"In the morning, O Lord, You will hear my voice. In the morning, I will offer my prayer to you, and wait in expectation" Ps 5:3
'11 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab (5' bed) 09 Escape 5.0
Blacksburg, Virginia (Home of the Virginia Tech Hokies)
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:51 PM   #12
Trailer: 2004 Chinook Concourse (Molded fiberglass!)

As mentioned in all of the above comments on exchange rates, it is a frustrating process to go through! Our credit union sends wire transfers to US Bank; they in turn send them through Standards Charter Bank of New York. Each bank apparently has the option to pick a different exchange rate, so the charts available online only give you an approximate idea. I could not find the NY bank exchange rates online, but they obviously benefit from these transfers! We still owe a bit extra and it is a mystery when trying to find out how the charges occur. If we had it to do again, I would prefer the bank draft over the wire transfer. It takes a bit longer as the funds have to clear once Reace and Tammy receive the draft, but if not in a hurry, I think this method may incur the least amount of fees overall. It is hard to get exact answers from some of the bank folks, but I think the expectation needs to be that it will most likely cost a bit more than you would think to do the exchanges of currency.
In the bigger picture of things, it doesn't amount to all that much and the end product is well worth it! I am just glad we are done with that part (other than the little we still owe)!

Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:40 PM   #13

I agree with Pete and Linda...while its important to save where we can, its not so important as to lose sleep over. You'll never notice the $100-200 difference in a year.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Garand is offline   Reply With Quote