Extra 12V outlet rating? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Plus, it's assuming that the 12V to 20V converter in the DC adapter will work if the voltage drops to 11V (or whatever).

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:09 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
I've been following this post and have a question. Why don't you use a 12volt car adapter for running your laptop? It seems like you are taking 12volts, running it through a converter, then plugging in your laptop to convert back to 12 volts for the laptop.
This is what I do with all my electronic stuff, I have the DC adapters for them. There are no extra cables unless you bring the AC ones too, which I do with the laptop, but the phones and tablet just use the DC ones.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #23

I have a couple different Nikon cameras that I need to find DC adaptors for. My list of camping accessories keeps growing.
Jrn56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:29 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrn56 View Post
I have a couple different Nikon cameras that I need to find DC adaptors for. My list of camping accessories keeps growing.
I hear you on that growing list. Though truth be told, we don't really need it all. Though, a camera should be up on the list.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #25

Jim - I did a lot of backpacking and canoeing when I was younger and that was a completely different mindset. I wanted my backpack or canoe as light as possible. Now we are trying to decide on HD TVs, AC, Microwaves, etc. It is fun though! I am sure after we go out a few times we will eliminate things we never use like some of you have done.
Jrn56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:02 PM   #26

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
There are no 12v wires in the spray insulation. All of your wires are inside the trailer shell either behind the refer or over the door on their way to the converter. Unless you have tank heaters, the only wires in the foam are your tank sensors. All of the kitchen 12v go down under your bed and across to the street side to the front.
I am curious about the extent of the foam. What about the wiring for the electric brakes? Is the frame encased? What about the propane lines? Thanks
Eugene We is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Depending on the camera, Radio Shack sells a universal charger that works as a 120V or 12V replacement for the Nikon MH-18a. Because the contacts are adjustable, it may work with other batteries. It is slow, and silly to adjust to connect to the battery, but it does work.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene We View Post
I am curious about the extent of the foam. What about the wiring for the electric brakes? Is the frame encased? What about the propane lines? Thanks
I had a look under there last night, so I can give a bit of an answer...

Each wheel has a sheathed cable going up into the trailer through the insulation. That would be the brake wiring, obviously. By the looks of the sheath, if necessary it might be possible to run new wiring through it, but it wouldn't be easy.

The propane lines are exposed below the insulation. The main line runs down the frame, there's a T-junction leading off to the external quick-connect, and the main line continues to the point near the furnace where it comes up through the floor. Off hand I don't recall seeing the line for the stove, so I'm going to guess that it crosses the trailer above the floor, somewhere under the bed.

The frame is partly, but not entirely, exposed.

This is coming from memory, so take it with a grain of salt.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #29

Quote:
I am sure after we go out a few times we will eliminate things we never use like some of you have done.
Most definitely. I do that annually. We never really did it until after the second year of having our 19, and we removed lots of stuff we never used, and stuff that we could do without. This year it was just a small box of stuff, much of it stuff we will likely never use, like who needs 16 spikes to hold down the awning arms and/or patio mat when 6 max would do, I already disproved of the fitting that fills 1 pound bottles from the 20 pounders so it went, do we really need 2 table cloths for picnic tables (though my wife believes we do, a sandwich fire grill thingy that never got used, and on, and on.......

No TV, microwave or A/C for me, at least for now. A/C will likely come with time, but even when we bring the laptop with TV capacity we never really use it, though once retired, who knows.