Extra tail lights - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2013, 04:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5TA
Extra tail lights

Does anyone have a picture of the extra tail/brakes lights that are in the horizontal
position?
Trying to decide which is more pleasing to my eye!
Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Maybe not what you are looking for, but here they are on a 17:
Attached Thumbnails
ASF_9880.jpg  
Old 11-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #3

Thanks Jon!

I meant vertical position...my brain is still in a food coma!
Old 11-30-2013, 04:39 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Vicki, that was a question I had. I'm getting the "Bike Ready Rack." Which is a receiver hitch on the rear below the spare. So, remembering that you don't what bike wheels to block the brake/turn lights, I asked. Back in the day, Escape would mount vertical lights next to the rear window (brake/turn an option) to take care of the issue... because the above the window lights... were not really lights but reflectors. On the 21' the three long LEDs are left side (brake/turn), far right (brake/turn). So... those extra lights are no longer needed. AND, I'm expecting my new 5er to follow the same pattern...
Attached Thumbnails
21_taillights.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #5

Thank you Donna!
Old 11-30-2013, 05:16 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
I can take a better one tomorrow if someone else don't post one.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:32 PM   #7
Site Team

Yeah, I'm still thinking this is a question that needs to be answered by Escape Trailer Industries. I'm STILL expecting my new 5er to be built the same as the 21' (entrance door back) on my 5er build and those rear reflectors on the 19' are now lights on the 21'. YO Jim... let us know, please when your 21 foot is delivered!
Old 11-30-2013, 05:52 PM   #8

Those are not reflectors on the 19. Everything is LED ights. On the photo on the trailer they are all lite up. Dave had our 19 plugged into his truck so lights, brakes, and turn signals all worked while he was towing.

It comes down to how Escape does it. There is room on the 19 to mount them next to the window. If you look close, the mold around the window has enough room for the tail lights to be mounted. There may not be room on the 21 or 5TA because of a different size window or something. Tammy explained to me that is why they are horizontal in the 17.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #9
Site Team

Yeah, but WHERE are those lights? This is from the 19' Escape brochure. On the 21' Escape the brake/turn signals are across the top...
Attached Thumbnails
19.jpg  
Old 11-30-2013, 06:18 PM   #10

Either way it looks like Christmas back there.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:13 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Yeah, but WHERE are those lights? This is from the 19' Escape brochure.
That would be the standard lighting, covering the legally required elements for a wide trailer - none of the upper lights are stop (brake) or turn signals, just clearance markers in the upper corners and the wide vehicle identification group in the middle.

The vertical light strips bracketing the window in the other photos are the additional units - I can only assume that they duplicate the combined stop/turn functions of the main (lower) lamps, but I have no idea if they also run as tail lamps. I've seen them in person on the demo unit at the factory, but not operating.

Quote:
On the 21' Escape the brake/turn signals are across the top...
The 21' demo unit at the factory has the three long lamps "across the top" setup; I would have guessed that this was optional, but the 21 Foot Escape product page doesn't list any vehicular lighting options which implies that all those lamps are standard equipment.

The trailer still needs clearance and wide vehicle ID lamps, so I assume that at least part of the outer units run at low intensity to serve as the clearance lamps (although the lower tail lamps could serve this purpose), and that they run at high intensity as stop/turn lamps. The middle one must run as three separate spots to serve as the wide-vehicle ID lamp; these units can usually be wired as a Centre High-Mounted Stop Lamp as well, but in an Escape there would have to be a logic circuit added to pick out the stop function from the two combined stop/turn circuits, or it would be a really awkward setup with the two halves of the same lamp doing different things.

Ideally, one of the few 21' owners who has received their trailer could run each turn signal and the brakes, and tell us what lamps go bright when... maybe even with photos (which is asking a lot, but I'm sure buyers-in-progress would appreciate it - still far too early for me to need it).

I don't like combining lamp functions, so I would rather have separate stop/turn lamps on the sides like the 19' shown. It would be even better to wire the trailer for a dedicated stop signal on the auxiliary pin of the connector and run a stop-only lamp under the centre of the rear window - that clearly says "stop" to following drivers.

My current Boler is essentially like a stock (no extra lights) Escape 19'... just combined lamps which are hard to see because they are down low, and required wide-trailer clearance and ID lights on top. I wouldn't set it up that way if I were choosing a configuration.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:49 AM   #12

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
extra tail lights

My new 21 has the three lights across above the rear window. The center is clearance only and the left and right duplicate the lower lights, tail, turn and stop. Very bright at night and the stop/signal are bright during the day, very useful driving through LA and wanting to change lanes.
Jack of Tucson
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:44 AM   #13
Site Team

The bottomline is it looks like anyone ordering a 21' or new 5er doesn't need to put the extra taillights on their build sheet to have enough/correct lights to clear bicycles, etc. on the rear. Cool beans! Scratch $95 off the build sheet!
Old 12-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #14

What Donna said, Yay!
Old 12-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
My new 21 has the three lights across above the rear window. The center is clearance only and the left and right duplicate the lower lights, tail, turn and stop.
Excellent - thanks Jack!

The centre "clearance" lights are the wide-vehicle identification group that I mentioned; they can be at any height but are usually put up top when that location is available. I'm glad they're not mixed up with other functions.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki A. View Post
What Donna said, Yay!
Don't know about you Vicki, but for me it just means I'll be spending it on something else. It doesn't mean Escape isn't getting it one way or the other
Old 12-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Don't know about you Vicki, but for me it just means I'll be spending it on something else. It doesn't mean Escape isn't getting it one way or the other
Ain't that the truth!