Failed Battery Replacement Dilemma - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-02-2019, 06:57 AM   #61

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TZBrown View Post
I still have the propane sensor going off at times, and may go to small fans inside the battery vent tubes, possibly switched manually.
Have thought about using a battery vent fan like this. It is supposed to be mounted vertical, but that is only for proper operation of backdraft damper. I believe it can be removed which allows horizontal mounting and passive venting with fan off. Can be wired to a simple switch (manual) or apparently some get fancy and bring it on with a relay based on actual charging voltage.

Zephyr Industries Battery Box Ventilator
Old 03-02-2019, 07:19 AM   #62

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Have thought about using a battery vent fan like this. It is supposed to be mounted vertical, but that is only for proper operation of backdraft damper. I believe it can be removed which allows horizontal mounting and passive venting with fan off. Can be wired to a simple switch (manual) or apparently some get fancy and bring it on with a relay based on actual charging voltage.

For $110 cost of that fan, I'll just turn off the propane detector for awhile
Old 03-02-2019, 07:41 AM   #63

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
Iv'e received advise over the years from "Mainesail" at Compass Marine regarding batteries, monitors, solar systems etc. I found him to be very analytical, generous with his time and very knowledgeable. I'd like to recommend his site for information on solar systems, batteries etc. It is sailboat focused but much of the 12V suggestions and advise applies to our trailers as well.

He has very good explanations and suggestions for 12 V systems, solar, chargers etc what works and what does not. He is certified as a marine electrical technician.

if your interested have a look,

https://marinehowto.com/

Bob
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:38 AM   #64

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
For $110 cost of that fan, I'll just turn off the propane detector for awhile
You can find them a bit cheaper than that. The issue is once you get startled and awakened by the propane detector you’ll turn it off and be reluctant to turn it back on. Ours is unplugged currently. I replaced the smoke detector with combo smoke/CO (I think Escape does this now as a stock configuration) so I retain that protection. That one doesn’t go off falsely. My Dickinson stove upgrade has auto shutoff of the propane if no flame. Not complete protection but better than nothing. So until I either vent the battery case with a fan or get AGM’s the propane alarm is staying unplugged.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:25 AM   #65

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
This is my propane shutoff switch Should have used it a few years ago...better late than neva!
Attached Thumbnails
51CfdMbnMaL._SX425_.jpg  
Old 03-02-2019, 12:51 PM   #66

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
This is my propane shutoff switch Should have used it a few years ago...better late than neva!
That may set your propane detector squealing.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:52 PM   #67

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Gave me a good laugh this morning ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:50 AM   #68

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21, 2014 Northern Lite slide in, 2014 2500 Duramax
Quote:

Even the smallest one listed does 6 CFM, more than I think needed.

My thoughts was a small flat CPU cooling, inside the vent tube
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:18 AM   #69

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Bad Cell

We're home now and it's time to let people know what really happened.

After a couple of days at Lost Dutchman the batteries failed again! I contacted the Arizona Crown rep, starting in Organ Pipe (where I had to remove to charge our batteries every night) and he just put me off. I then contacted my Minnesota/Iowa rep after more failed contacts with the Arizona rep. Next thing the Minnesota/Iowa rep's manager called me and after a couple of questions said Crown was going to give us new batteries. He claimed this was only the third set of AGM's to ever fail within the first year (a rep wouldn't lie, would he?). They had no AGM's available in Phoenix, so we had to wait for a set to be shipped. Two days later the new batteries were in Phoenix and were installed. Our failed batteries were immediately put on a pallet and shipped back to Crown to be torn down to see what the problem was.

A week or so later the rep manager called me to say for some reason there was a failed cell (he actually gave me a complete explanation that was beyond my expertise). In other words, despite a 99.99999999% success rate, someone has to be the .000000001% failure rate. Interestingly enough, when I was at the Trojan dealer (who had an entire wall of 105's for golf carts), he said the initial failure rate of AGM's was almost non-existent when compared to the flooded 105's and is selling more and more AGM's because of their maintenance free aspect, and reliability, especially for affluent snow-birds golf carts.

We now have 42 evenings in the camper that include 8 nights in Big Bend National Park with no hookups (and at least half the other nights were without hookups) with the furnace running almost every night. The batteries are always charged by noon. Since we've already purchased the Victron Battery Monitor it will be installed underneath the passenger side bench for the rare times we'll ever want it. We now also have no plans to change out the WFCO charger. And since our GoPower controller is doing it's job we'll save our money for other needless camping items.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 04-22-2019, 09:01 AM   #70

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:

If you read the description of the Zephyr Industry Battery Box Ventillator two words stick out for me. NEC & SPARKLESS . Not all fan motors are rated for venting hazardous gasses
Using a fan with metal blades or an open motor can produce sparks , which is not a good idea in the presence of a flammable gas .
When I worked at an oil refinery my section was the hydrogen plant which was considered the most hazardous area in the refinery
Rubicon pointed out a safe , practical option IMHO
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:33 PM   #71

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Thanks Perry, good to know that I can get Crown AGM's and not worry about getting the 1 of the 3 pairs that will fail.