Failure of Solar Panel Retention - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 10:28 PM   #41

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
Definitively no rivet through fiberglass roof but if it were my installation I would replace the three pop rivets attaching the L bracket to the solar panel frame. The cable fraying showed much stressing due to a variety of reasons already touched upon, including roof flexing. The three pop rivets in my view would be just as compromised as being aluminum they don't offer the same shear failure limit steel bolts offer or could likely have its head extrude out depending on nature of forces.

As I mentioned in another thread, Scamp roof rivets have been known to break due to flexing and yes the Scamp shell is rhino thick. I recall hole cutting shell to mount external electrical connector and I though I never get through it.
Santiago,
That was my first reaction as I saw the three rivets (aluminum) on the top end of the bracket and fastened into the panel frame. I wanted a nut and bolt installed there .... then I started thinking about the nut and bolt not being made from aluminum like the frame. I then realized that the aluminum pop rivets were probably the best fasteners to be used in this application. Steel, stainless steel or mild steel fasteners would most likely cause corrosion of the frame ... increasing the effective size of the fastener hole until eventual failure.

Threaded fasteners of non aluminum alloys likely would have more shear strength than rivets ... however, I would 'electrically' insulate the frame and fastener by installing plastic washers between fastener head, nut and frame. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to install a plastic sheet (cut down bleach bottle)between panel frame and bracket ..... Really I think my trailer will likely outlast me and I'm planning to live until I'm at least 400 cause that is how long it will take me to make a dent in my bucket list.

Tom
Old 08-03-2017, 08:15 AM   #42

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Guidance

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Let's try this again and try to keep responses on topic, thank you!
Thanks Jim,
Update Garlic is drying, peppers are doing well in the heat. Zucks are coming along.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:30 AM   #43

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Thanks Jim,
Update Garlic is drying, peppers are doing well in the heat. Zucks are coming along.
Totally off topic. Ban this veggie pusher, I say!

Unless of course he shares his produce.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-03-2017, 08:54 AM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Thanks Jim,
Hi: Iowa Dave... The only redeeming quality of some veggies is they can be grilled along with a nice steak!!!
As for the latest extra fasteners for a solar panel... I carry them in the box where ever we go... so pass me when it's safe to do so!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Old 08-03-2017, 09:07 AM   #45

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
I often wonder when reading these type of threads (about the improper installation of something or another) how well built the massed-produced trailers are? I have no idea, just wondered if they are safe from the time they leave the factory until their end of life.

I thought about Casita and Scamp, and how they only make minor changes to their trailer, using the same design for years or decades, thinking that was a wise way to build their trailers, but then remembered I have read about them having issues themselves, despite that (although we never had any with our Casita other than rivets failing).

I personally believe that what appeals to a lot of people who buy Escapes is their ever-evolving "improvements" to the trailers, be it components or actual design. This could be a good thing or could be problematic, depending on the nature of the "improvement".

I can imagine Reace and Tammy must be compiling an extensive list of things that work or went wrong with various changes they have tried. The trick I would assume, is keeping enough of the design from iteration to iteration to not compromise the things that work. I haven't heard of them making the same mistake repeatedly?

That being said, I once again must credit what Jim Bennett told said in the unveiling of the new design thread when I was bumming that the 2017 style trailers were coming out just shortly after we were getting ours. He wisely said, "who knows? Some people might actually like the old style better". In our case, it appears that Escape had come up with a mature, problem free design by the time they quit making the classics. We have not been contacted about any issue, and so far, I have not read anything here that has panicked me.

That's just my thoughts.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:54 AM   #46

Trailer: 2014 19' Escape - 2023 JGC-L Summit
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Let's try this again and try to keep responses on topic, thank you!
Thanks to Parker for a heads-up about this. In our case, we've towed 28,800 miles without any problems with the factory solar panel installation. In September 2015, AMSolar installed two panels on the roof using their mounting system and I stopped at ETI to have them add the safety cables to the original panel shortly after that. 18,600 miles later, all the panel mounts are still secure and I've not seen any wear of the safety cables.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:24 AM   #47

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Totally off topic. Ban this veggie pusher, I say!

Unless of course he shares his produce.
They mentioned Caribbean Poutine on the food network channel last night. The chef who prepared it won.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:40 AM   #48

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
They mentioned Caribbean Poutine on the food network channel last night. The chef who prepared it won.
Sounds delish.......
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-03-2017, 01:51 PM   #49

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I really can't believe folks eat this. Right up there with Blue Buffalo Homestyle.

Old 08-03-2017, 02:08 PM   #50

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, the traditional poutine definitely looks better
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1360.jpg   IMG_1363.jpg  
Old 08-03-2017, 02:09 PM   #51

Now back to the issue at hand, please.....
Old 08-03-2017, 04:14 PM   #52

Thread has been closed.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:05 PM   #53
Site Team

Trailer: 1964 Globetrotter
Just a followup here regarding moderation and member posting expectations. Many posts were removed from this thread because they insulted another member and ultimately made the thread unreadable once that content was stripped out. So a reminder:

All members may post opinions, advice and questions as noted in the site rules. This may include discussions about broken parts, bad experiences, etc but may not include insults, direct attacks and rude posts directed at another member. Please review the site rules that you agreed to when you joined: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/mi...ork&page=rules

If you disagree with the opinion of another person, state your reason in a respectful way and then move on. Do not insult or taunt another member. Moderators may restrict accounts where there is a pattern of this behavior and while this rarely occurs, we will take what ever steps are needed to maintain informational and collegial discourse. This thread was derailed by posts that strayed from the topic at hand and targeted the opinions offered by a few. These posts have been removed but fair warning... this is unacceptable posting behavior and moving forward will be met with warnings and account restrictions if needed.

If you see a problem post please use the red triangle on that post to report it as a possible problem; let the site team handle it but do not respond in kind.

It takes little effort to be kind in person - posting on the internet should be no different.

Thanks for understanding.

Escape Forum Custom Google Search
Closed Thread