False Reading Black Tanks - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2018, 06:37 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 Foot
False Reading Black Tanks

We are half way through our first 2 week road trip and emptied both tanks 2 days ago. We are parked at some friends house in Charlotte NC pretty much just sleeping in our camper with minimum use of tanks. Our black tank monitor says it's 3/4's full. Knowing this to be pretty much impossible we are wondering why it's giving a false reading and what to do about it. We'll be leaving for Nashville tomorrow and driving the Natches Trace and want to make sure tanks are empty.
Thanks for any insight!
Zengranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:48 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
We experience the same issue with the monitors on our black tank. Even though you have dumped the tank, "stuff" can still be stuck to the probes in the tank. I always use a cleaning wand in the black tank after every trip. That seems to be the only thing that will get everything off.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:52 AM   #3

I suspected it might be the probes. We used the cleaning wand on the Casita but have not on the Escape which actually was why we got the window in the bathroom. Thanks so much, will do!
Old 04-26-2018, 07:59 AM   #4

Trailer: None now
I noticed when I used Oxy-Chem drop in black tank pods with 1 gallon of water that initially my tank would have false readings after we traveled with it. . After a few uses it would suddenly go from 2/3 to empty I have the Horst probes so it's not paper or residue I suspect whatever they are made of coats the walls a bit and is conductive when it is at a higher concentration.
A few flushes dilutes it.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:21 AM   #5

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
The sensors on our black and gray tanks are pretty much useless. After awhile you just develop a sixth sense as to when you need to dump.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:35 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Key to the black tank usage is to keep the contents as fluid as possible and to minimize the solids. We use campground restrooms whenever possible for serious #2 business. Try to dump the tanks frequently to minimize having the sensors covered up for longer term. Use a wand to spray the interior of the tank.

After 5 years, our black, grey, and fresh water tank sensors all work perfectly and have never had any issues whatsoever. If fact, I have a wand since the trailer was new but have never even used it to clean the inside of the black tank.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:34 AM   #7

Great information, thank you all so much! Learning as we go. I did put a Walex Bio-Pack tablet in the black tank with some water when we emptied it. Tank is still reading 2/3 full. I am finding that for $5 we can dump at truck stops so when we leave here tomorrow we'll stop and dump again then rinse well put in another tablet with some water and ck the reading.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:35 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
With the black tank you can always just look down the hole.
I'd fill it with liquid before driving to the dump, and then empty it.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:09 PM   #9

Thanks will add liquid before we dump.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:00 PM   #10

Drive over a few speed bumps with the tank full of liquid.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:10 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
This is surprising because my understanding is that Horst probes are now standard on Escapes. They don't give false readings, at least mine don't. Perhaps yours is not equipped with them? Don't know.

Easiest fix is just to put a spray wand down the toilet and aim it at the probes. They should be on the side of the tank towards the outer wall.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:36 PM   #12

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
This is surprising because my understanding is that Horst probes are now standard on Escapes. They don't give false readings, at least mine don't. Perhaps yours is not equipped with them? Don't know.

Easiest fix is just to put a spray wand down the toilet and aim it at the probes. They should be on the side of the tank towards the outer wall.
They do as does mine, I added them as an option and verified they are there.
The only times mine has acted up was them I used the Oxy-Chem pods which are for the black water tank. I would dump, throw one in and a gallon or so of water and the next stop the tank would show 2/3rd full. Run some water into the toilet or flush a few times and poof back to zero. I switched to another brand when I used up the Oxy-chems and it is not happening anymore so
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:05 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
With the black tank you can always just look down the hole.
I'd fill it with liquid before driving to the dump, and then empty it.
That's just what I do . . . look down the hole. Positive confirmation with no guessing! As far as the gray water goes, when it backs up in the shower, you know the tank is full. Admittedly a less-than-perfect indicator, but it works!

Chuck
citabria90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:29 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
I wish ETI would provide a black tank flush like every other RV I've owned had. I never had trouble with false readings in RV's with the flush system, but now with the Escape it hasn't worked in about a year. I have the Horst probes and have tried filling the tank full of water before flushing with no luck. I'll have to get a wand now and/or try detergents, but I'd really rather not have to deal with that nasty business at all. A simple black tank flush system would be SO much better.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:33 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfree View Post
I wish ETI would provide a black tank flush like every other RV I've owned had. I never had trouble with false readings in RV's with the flush system, but now with the Escape it hasn't worked in about a year. I have the Horst probes and have tried filling the tank full of water before flushing with no luck. I'll have to get a wand now and/or try detergents, but I'd really rather not have to deal with that nasty business at all. A simple black tank flush system would be SO much better.
Your other trailers were probably SOB's (some other brand) which more than likely had the 3 tanks outside and accessible to a flush. Your Escape black tank is inside, operating a flush and installing one is inviting a disaster inside your unit.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:49 AM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
There's a number of Casita owners that have added a backflush mod to the black tank and the black tank is inside just like an Escape. Here's a good link, with pics. You probably have to join the CasitaForum to view, but that's as easy as joining here at the EscapeForum:

CasitaForum, Black Tank Flush Mod

Remember, I said it was done. I didn't say it was easy.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:23 AM   #17

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfree View Post
Jon V. added one on his 17 and documented it here. He used the Tornado sprayer. I don't think this would be difficult at all in a 19.

Trailer Modifications - Escape 17B
Attached Thumbnails
tank rinse.jpg  
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:49 AM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
In places where there is no drought, I have been known to clear fill/dump the tanks several times. That works for awhile at getting the classic probes to read correctly.

However, I definitely could use a good chem solution suggestion.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:52 AM   #19

Odorlos.
Attached Thumbnails
odor.jpg  
Old 05-01-2018, 11:55 AM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Thanks Glenn. Can Tire?
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote