Fastway E2 change from 2016 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2018, 10:21 AM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 17B
Fastway E2 change from 2016

All, I have a 2016 17B with a Fastway E2 Weight Distribution Hitch. From the start, I have had issues where the L-Pin would grip the Trunnion bar and pop like crazy during turns. Eventually, it would cause the L-bracket to shift position and no longer be perpendicular to the camper frame. I have loosened, adjusted, and re-torqued frame brackets twice. After this last trip, I noticed one the frame brackets with a slight bow. This is usually due to improperly torqueing the top and bottom bolts in an even manner or the wrong brackets. The reason I mention the wrong bracket, some frames (not Escape) may be 4 3/8 in and you need a different set of brackets. Anyway, my bracket was installed by Escape and, of course, the correct one.

With all of this popping and shifting, one of the L-pins that keep the Trunnion bars in place has been bent and the issue is worse. Actually, the pin can be difficult to remove due to its "wedging" and gripping the Trunnion bar. Sometimes you have to firmly tap the pin from underneath to free it. So, bent L-pin and warped frame bracket...I called Fastway and ordered new parts. I ordered kits for both sides of the camper frame. I get the parts and low and behold...a redesign!!! The L-pin is made so that it doesn’t settle down and pinch the Trunnion bar. The Frame brackets have pockets so the bolts hide within and you have better surface contact between the frame bracket the L-Bracket. Anyway, the L-pin itself was enough to excite me. Attached pic of the old (bent) and new pin.
Attached Thumbnails
20180206_094455.jpg  
gelayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:38 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
I recently ordered those exact same pins from Amazon, because I was tired of struggling to pull those cotter pins out.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:53 AM   #3

I agree. Every time I pushed or pulled the cotter pin, I feared of drawing blood. But the design to not let the L-pin settle down and pinch the bar, is worth the upgrade too!
Old 02-06-2018, 11:35 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I wondered why someone had a set of the original
style pins and r clips on the free tarp at Niagara last fall. Now I know. They must have already upgraded to the new style. Looks like a better set up. I do not have this hitch but understand binding up. Whenever the park guys couldn’t get a pin out of an implement, they would say “Get me a persuader, she’s in a bayou.”
Iowa “ Parkie One” Dave.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I don’t have the hitch either but when using pins I always switch to this spring loop design. Works much smoother and provides more area for your finger as it is double design.
I just keep the single action ones around as a backup.
https://shar.es/1N9Qqx
Attached Thumbnails
7995D20E-60AB-44F1-AC8D-BAA26C40E83F.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I bought a couple of linch pins (the upper pins in the photo).
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0539.jpg  
Old 06-25-2018, 07:45 PM   #7

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I switched to the newer pins, due to another post on this forum recommending them. I love 'em! I hated those cotter pins. On my recent 2 month trip I showed more than one camper the new pins and they liked 'em as well and were going to order them.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:27 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelayne View Post
All, I have a 2016 17B with a Fastway E2 Weight Distribution Hitch. From the start, I have had issues where the L-Pin would grip the Trunnion bar and pop like crazy during turns. Eventually, it would cause the L-bracket to shift position and no longer be perpendicular to the camper frame. I have loosened, adjusted, and re-torqued frame brackets twice. After this last trip, I noticed one the frame brackets with a slight bow. This is usually due to improperly torqueing the top and bottom bolts in an even manner or the wrong brackets. The reason I mention the wrong bracket, some frames (not Escape) may be 4 3/8 in and you need a different set of brackets. Anyway, my bracket was installed by Escape and, of course, the correct one.

With all of this popping and shifting, one of the L-pins that keep the Trunnion bars in place has been bent and the issue is worse. Actually, the pin can be difficult to remove due to its "wedging" and gripping the Trunnion bar. Sometimes you have to firmly tap the pin from underneath to free it. So, bent L-pin and warped frame bracket...I called Fastway and ordered new parts. I ordered kits for both sides of the camper frame. I get the parts and low and behold...a redesign!!! The L-pin is made so that it doesn’t settle down and pinch the Trunnion bar. The Frame brackets have pockets so the bolts hide within and you have better surface contact between the frame bracket the L-Bracket. Anyway, the L-pin itself was enough to excite me. Attached pic of the old (bent) and new pin.
Yes the newer L pins are great! No more knocking skin off my knuckles getting the older cotter pins out. I had the same problem as others with shifting frame brackets. I removed and retorqued the bolts, then had to do it a second time and also changed to these new L pins. So far the frame brackets have not shifted again, and I have not replaced them, but I keep looking to see if it has happened again. I did not know there was a redesign of the frame brackets, and I would love to see photos of the new frame brackets and how they differ from the older ones.
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:34 AM   #9

I replaced the frame brackets due to a slight bow that occurred after multiple loosening/re-torquing sessions. At the time, I was unaware of the new L-pins. With hindsight, the new L-pins would have been sufficient. As you can see in the photo (thread marks) , it appears the frame brackets were fastened 4 different times (Once at ETI and 3 different re-adjustments by me.

The new frame bracket has pockets where the frame bolts head hide. Before, the L-bracket did not sandwich against the frame bracket but pressed against the frame bolt heads. You can see the outside frame bracket is thicker than the inside since it has the bolt head pocket. Also, I noticed the new frame bolts aren't threaded the entire length (see thread scuff in frame).

Since replacement, I have towed the camper across the country without any slippage/rotation of the brackets. The new L-pin design keeps the Trunnion bars in the bracket without binding!

Old 06-26-2018, 10:39 AM   #10

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Interesting that some folks have had their bars warp/bend/distort. Knock on wood, I've not had that problem. Nor have I had to readjust from what ETI did at delivery. Whew!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:51 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
New brackets look more like the Equal I Zer 4 point sway set up. We’ve had both setups in the past. Our first E2 setup was assembled wrong and bent at an RV dealership. Was over torqued. Took it to a place that specializes in hitches and they drilled extra holes in the brackets. I was pissed. Fastway was great and sent me a new set up. Told me to avoid using any part that was tampered with in such a way.

Long story short. Learn it yourself. Trust no one.
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 10:53 AM   #12

Trailer: 2012 E19
I have read too many stories of RV shops incorrectly setting up various brands of hitches. I agree, best to learn how and DIY. I set up my own Equalizer in '05 and it wasn't difficult, even for a person like me who's not mechanically inclined.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 01:14 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Am I understanding this right -- that ETI now uses the new pins in the E2?

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:03 PM   #14

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Which L Pins did you order from Amazon? Were they the Equal-i-zer 95-01-9430?
LoriH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:13 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriH View Post
Which L Pins did you order from Amazon? Were they the Equal-i-zer 95-01-9430?
Yes, those are the L pins that are a great improvement.
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:01 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by casejh View Post
Yes, those are the L pins that are a great improvement.
Thank you!
There are different L pins to choose from and I just wasn’t sure if it mattered which ones to purchase. Apparently many others are having issues with clicking, clanking, etc. with their E2 equalizer hitch and the new style L Pins seem to make all the difference.
LoriH is offline   Reply With Quote