Fifth wheel parking experts - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2013, 07:08 AM   #21

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandsandyclink View Post
I have searched hard and long for the right solution. For about $5000 or more and a place to store the large power mover for an occasional need, it can be accomplished..
$5000 or more? Why not buy a new/used Gator and put the hitch in the bed? Could have multiple uses also.

Dick
Old 09-16-2013, 12:00 PM   #22

Hi Dave, #8, you mentioned that the wheels supplied by Escape were too flimsy and had them modified, can you post a photo showing what was done?
thanks
Old 09-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #23

I think the idea of attaching a device to the front of theTV is problematic as the width of the TV is the same (front or back), i.e. less manoeuvring room side to side. Lots of good ideas. Lowering the front to reduce weight on the back tires seems doable.
Although I mentioned that the parking spot was currently gravel, I will pave it or use concrete. Either way, it will be have to be bigger, how much is unknown.
I have read that wheels put on the front jacks are not a good idea because the jacks are not designed to support lateral movement. Anybody heard anything about this? Maybe it was related to moving large, heavy fifth wheel trailers.
At some point when Reace has the prototype completed, I can go to the factory and see first hand what can be done backing with a TV in a limited space.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #24

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I like the idea of a UTV (such as a Gator), although it takes the idea of large accessories for a trailer to an extreme
The older Gators were relatively simple compared to current products - perhaps they're cheap now. Some of the Gators have had two rear axles, which would be hard to turn sharply, so I would avoid those. The hitch would be very close to the driver, so you would have to watch for the trailer hitting the driver in the head in turns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
I think the idea of attaching a device to the front of the TV is problematic as the width of the TV is the same (front or back), i.e. less manoeuvring room side to side.
True, but the point of a front hitch is that you can more directly move the hitch where you need it, without big swings of the other end of the tow vehicle.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Chris you are correct about the front jack legs. I don't trust them any more than I need to. I move very slow into position with the jacks retracted as much as possible. If a wheel was to hang up with the trailer moving, the jack leg could fold or bend beyond retraction. Reace uses dollies in production but at a stage when the trailer is much lighter. I am not willing to risk damage to our 34K Escape 5.0 I dearly love. You too will discover the difference in hand moving 17' pull behind compared to a 19.5' or a 21'.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #26

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandsandyclink View Post
Reace uses dollies in production but at a stage when the trailer is much lighter.
I assume the factory staff are also moving on a flat and smooth concrete interior floor. I don't recall the whole production area floor, but I don't know of any excursions outside or over bumps within the production area.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Chris, have you found a possible solution? I may be looking for one as well. I'll (perhaps) need to have my carport raised and it's gonna be tight with a new trailer and my old truck parked there. I can't go any wider.... to be safe, I'm thinking I'll always drive my truck out. But, the trailer will need to be moved as far over to the edge as possible. I can do it with my Scamp and a tongue dolly and a some grunting!

Maybe I'll just go buy a different house!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #28

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Chris, have you found a possible solution? I may be looking for one as well. I'll (perhaps) need to have my carport raised and it's gonna be tight with a new trailer and my old truck
Maybe I'll just go buy a different house!
JEEPERS Donna, pictures
Old 09-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
JEEPERS Donna, pictures
Here's the carport. 18'x25', but the driveway gate is only 12'
Right now the Scamp is sharing space with a 1967 Mustang... gonna sell that. Can't keep them all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ScampParkingCarport.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	3612

The truck is in the body shop. I'm getting cranky about it. The only reason for a complete rebuild of the truck (the second time) was to tow the Scamp...

This is not my truck. Mine is a light, light yellow and this one is a 1956, mine is a 1953. But unless you know the differences, they're all the same to most people.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PanelTruck.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	3613
Old 09-29-2013, 03:44 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
you got any pictures of the stang? mine was a 66 model...
Old 09-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #31
Site Team

No, no pictures of the Mustang(s) Jim. I own two. The coupe will be sold. Keeping the 1967 Fastback. That's in the garage. And it's sharing space with a 1952 MGTD. I'm a vehicle hoarder...

I'm still hoping Chris has found a solution...
Old 09-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #32

Trailer: No more Escape 21
Quote:
No, no pictures of the Mustang(s) Jim. I own two. The coupe will be sold. Keeping the 1967 Fastback. That's in the garage. And it's sharing space with a 1952 MGTD. I'm a vehicle hoarder...
Donna, you are breaking my heart, any pictures of the TD?
Old 09-29-2013, 04:07 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
Donna, you are breaking my heart, any pictures of the TD?
Nothing electronic. Have a gazillion album photos. I've owned the TD since the early 1970s. It hasn't left the garage in 20+ years. It's part of my retirement fund, much more fun than stocks!
Old 09-29-2013, 04:49 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Chris R,

Do you feel you can tow the new 5.0 with your Frontier? I suspect it will be weigh 3000-3500 lbs. I too have Frontier but am concerned the new 5.0 might be a bit much for the Frontier?

Thanks,
Mike
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #35

Thanks to all you have responded with ideas and suggestions.
Will try to summarize.
Adding caster to the front jacks is risky. The jacks are designed to support vertical loads, not sideway forces. I would hate to have a jack fail or crack a weld, etc. Can they be strengthened? (question for Reace).
There seem to be a variety of powered trailer movers available. Most are designed to work with a standard ball mount trailer. A couple offer plans for a modification that can be built to adapt the mover to fit a fifth wheel trailer. Just about all of these movers carry a big price tag and are generally designed to move large, heavy trailers. I suspect even the smallest is over kill for the old or new 5.
Another idea was to add a standard ball mount to the middle of the frame between the jacks. Then a standard trailer dolly could be used, but it would need a long handle. It may also need to be powered due to the trailer weight at that point.
Using another kind of vehicle such as a ATV may would for some, but I would have not place to store it.
I think that whatever solution is found, a level, flat hard surface is needed.

I suspect I will have to wait until the prototype is made and find out how much room is needed by the trailer and the TV to park the trailer at 90 degrees. By then, the pin weight should be known.

Can the Frontier tow the new 5? Since there are several folks that have the Frontier and the current 5 combination, towing is not an issue. The truck is well powered and gets reasonable mileage towing the trailer. Since the new 5 is a bit bigger, I think the addition of a bit of weight is not an issue. The only thing I can see is having extra power available for steep hills. For me, the issue is my truck’s short box and having to use a sliding mount, i.e. additional weight toward the back of the truck, not over the axle. This is another question for Reace. I may need to upgrade the truck to a long box. Ideally, I want Nissan to upgrade the Frontier and/or the Titan to offer a diesel with good torque and fuel economy. Rumors, rumors.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:06 PM   #36

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
I also have the short bed, I feel if the overall weight is not a problem, then air bags might be a good solution for having to use a slider hitch. However, upgrading to a larger truck might be simpler, but more expensive. Nissan announced in August that the new Titan will have a Cummings diesel, it was not clear if it would be 2015 or 2016. From what I've read, the new gas Titan is expect on the market in the spring of 2015.
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:11 AM   #37

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 Classic
Quote:

This is not my truck. Mine is a light, light yellow and this one is a 1956, mine is a 1953. But unless you know the differences, they're all the same to most people.

Attachment 3613
Hi Donna,

did not know you were into classic cars, we've a '55 Pick-Up laying around in pieces waiting to be restored when time comes.
Seef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:37 PM   #38

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I owned an MG TD when I was much younger I loved it when it ran. I cried when it drove away. It's the only car I've ever had an emotional connection to. Love to see pictures of your TD Donna.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote