Fifth wheel parking experts - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2013, 08:08 AM   #21

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandsandyclink View Post
I have searched hard and long for the right solution. For about $5000 or more and a place to store the large power mover for an occasional need, it can be accomplished..
$5000 or more? Why not buy a new/used Gator and put the hitch in the bed? Could have multiple uses also.

Dick

Old 09-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #22

Hi Dave, #8, you mentioned that the wheels supplied by Escape were too flimsy and had them modified, can you post a photo showing what was done?
thanks

Old 09-16-2013, 01:14 PM   #23

I think the idea of attaching a device to the front of theTV is problematic as the width of the TV is the same (front or back), i.e. less manoeuvring room side to side. Lots of good ideas. Lowering the front to reduce weight on the back tires seems doable.
Although I mentioned that the parking spot was currently gravel, I will pave it or use concrete. Either way, it will be have to be bigger, how much is unknown.
I have read that wheels put on the front jacks are not a good idea because the jacks are not designed to support lateral movement. Anybody heard anything about this? Maybe it was related to moving large, heavy fifth wheel trailers.
At some point when Reace has the prototype completed, I can go to the factory and see first hand what can be done backing with a TV in a limited space.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #24

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I like the idea of a UTV (such as a Gator), although it takes the idea of large accessories for a trailer to an extreme
The older Gators were relatively simple compared to current products - perhaps they're cheap now. Some of the Gators have had two rear axles, which would be hard to turn sharply, so I would avoid those. The hitch would be very close to the driver, so you would have to watch for the trailer hitting the driver in the head in turns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
I think the idea of attaching a device to the front of the TV is problematic as the width of the TV is the same (front or back), i.e. less manoeuvring room side to side.
True, but the point of a front hitch is that you can more directly move the hitch where you need it, without big swings of the other end of the tow vehicle.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Chris you are correct about the front jack legs. I don't trust them any more than I need to. I move very slow into position with the jacks retracted as much as possible. If a wheel was to hang up with the trailer moving, the jack leg could fold or bend beyond retraction. Reace uses dollies in production but at a stage when the trailer is much lighter. I am not willing to risk damage to our 34K Escape 5.0 I dearly love. You too will discover the difference in hand moving 17' pull behind compared to a 19.5' or a 21'.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:56 PM   #26

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandsandyclink View Post
Reace uses dollies in production but at a stage when the trailer is much lighter.
I assume the factory staff are also moving on a flat and smooth concrete interior floor. I don't recall the whole production area floor, but I don't know of any excursions outside or over bumps within the production area.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:12 PM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Chris, have you found a possible solution? I may be looking for one as well. I'll (perhaps) need to have my carport raised and it's gonna be tight with a new trailer and my old truck parked there. I can't go any wider.... to be safe, I'm thinking I'll always drive my truck out. But, the trailer will need to be moved as far over to the edge as possible. I can do it with my Scamp and a tongue dolly and a some grunting!

Maybe I'll just go buy a different house!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #28

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Chris, have you found a possible solution? I may be looking for one as well. I'll (perhaps) need to have my carport raised and it's gonna be tight with a new trailer and my old truck
Maybe I'll just go buy a different house!
JEEPERS Donna, pictures

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:34 PM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
JEEPERS Donna, pictures
Here's the carport. 18'x25', but the driveway gate is only 12'
Right now the Scamp is sharing space with a 1967 Mustang... gonna sell that. Can't keep them all.

ScampParkingCarport.jpg

The truck is in the body shop. I'm getting cranky about it. The only reason for a complete rebuild of the truck (the second time) was to tow the Scamp...

This is not my truck. Mine is a light, light yellow and this one is a 1956, mine is a 1953. But unless you know the differences, they're all the same to most people.

PanelTruck.jpg
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:44 PM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
you got any pictures of the stang? mine was a 66 model...