Finalizing Build Sheet - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2015, 07:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 21'
Finalizing Build Sheet

Hello Everyone,

We are in the process of finalizing our build sheet for our 21' Escape to be delivered on September 15:-) We are hoping someone may be able to assist us with a few questions: Does anyone have a picture of their wardrobe with a shelf in it? We are considering one shelf but aren't sure where to locate it. I understand it depends on how much clothing one likes to hang but a photo would be helpful.

And, what about a location for the trailer name? Under the rear window is where ETI has suggested putting it. Any other ideas?

Inverter: pros and cons would be appreciated. We will have a portable generator but maybe it is worth having for resale (many years from now) or short trips?

Thanks for your input.....Emilio and Christine
Cmellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Hi Emilio and Christine. We turned our build sheet in on May 19 and have the inverter as we plan to be off grid quite a bit. The name of our trailer will be under the rear window. I can't think of a better place. As for the shelf, we added one 10" from the bottom. This is just kind of a guess and I don't know how it will work out but this was kind of what Crystal at ETI thought worked pretty well. We are picking up Sept. 10th. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:30 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Finalizing the build sheet is such a relief! No more Tums as an appetizer

I think most of us try to second guess our decisions, I did. But once you take possession... NIRVANA! There's always owner mods to make, if that's important to you. So far, there isn't a whole lot I'm thinking needs to change in Ten Forward, I hope you are just as satisfied. Make memories!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:31 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmellon View Post
Inverter: pros and cons would be appreciated. We will have a portable generator but maybe it is worth having for resale (many years from now) or short trips?
Are you going to be camping off-grid? Do you want to run A/C appliances when doing so? If yes, then the inverter makes sense. If no, I'd omit it and not worry about the resale value.

BTW, sure you know this, but the inverter doesn't have the power output necessary to run an air conditioner. A 2100-2200 watt generator might do the job.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:07 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I can't agree with Donna D more about what a relief finalizing the build sheet is. And after that, what is, is and what isn't, isn't. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:22 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Interesting to note that most folks using a generator use it primarily to watch TV. I usually invite them to visit our trailer and learn how a solar panel with inverter can relieve them(and us) of unnecessary noise...and help save the environment(-;

Oh, and on the shelf thing- you can always add it later. We took out the hanging rod and use a 3 drawer plastic bin from wally-world and then have space for other items such as a BB&beyond b-fast-in bed table and then our vitamix blender and trash can.

Trailer name: anonymous.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:07 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
If you plan shelves, measure your favorite things (like tall cereal boxes) for height to make sure they'll fit. Wifey favors drawers so I spaced the shelves accordingly.
Attached Thumbnails
closet_divided.jpg  

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:14 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Oh my stars, Charlie made a good point about measuring. ETI put the shelf in the pantry of Ten Forward right in the middle. My Mr. Coffee won't fit, bottom or top! The only place was in the wardrobe... DANG. Those shelves don't budge either, which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your needs. (I've since trade my coffee maker for something else that fits!) MEASURE!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:44 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
We will also finalize our build sheet this week. Build date is September 14th. We're not getting the inverter because our electric needs are minimal: no coffee maker (we use a Melitta cone and heat water in the tea kettle, on the propane stove), no hair dryer, etc. We do have a small, portable inverter for charging the laptop. It will also work with a small t.v. - although we have found that when we're camping off the grid there's usually no t.v. reception, either. Nowadays with computers and tablets to supply us weather info and other news, we don't really miss t.v. much when we're traveling... Anyway, inverters use power to invert power; and we already have a 12v fan (Endless Breeze). For us, I just couldn't think of a reason to get the inverter. YMMV.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:03 PM   #10

Hi Mary- agree with you in that 12V works for most needs. We use Melitta... first run the hot water in the pot, then cups to warm up then simmer pot while draining. Don't use hair dryers, and are returning the TV to Costco after a month trip where we never used it. Tablets are great for Dish Anywhere. We still like the inverter for the Vitamix and for flexibility with charging things like our Costco air pump/battery jumper, cordless torque wrench we use for the stabilizers. With the exchange rate as it is think of it as a 20% discount.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:07 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Interesting to note that most folks using a generator use it primarily to watch TV.
I have two batteries with solar and have a 12V plug for my television--no need for a generator or inverter.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:33 PM   #12

Nice Karen, but isn't it true that 12V TV's are somewhat of an anomaly....at least for now?
Old 06-16-2015, 11:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Nice Karen, but isn't it true that 12V TV's are somewhat of an anomaly....at least for now?
I don't think so. I bought my 19" at Best Buy (can't remember the brand now) and just bought a 12V cord from Amazon to power it:

Amazon.com: 12 Volt DC Cord To Power TVs With A Cigarette Lighter Socket - Universal Connector: Electronics

Edited: It's late and I'm tired but in the back of my pea brain, I thought these were 12V to begin with and then the cord that comes with them converts the 12V to AC. Could be (and probably am) way off base here...
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
Old 06-16-2015, 11:40 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Quote:
Not at all. Long distance truck drivers have a small living space in the rear of their cab filled with 12V amenities........including 12V microwave ovens.

RoadTrucker Logbooks, Travel Gifts, Truck Locks, Accessories

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 06-16-2015, 11:41 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Look at the power cord for your TV Rossue. Is there an inline brick-shaped thing? That's a converter, reducing the voltage from 120V to 12V, and you can probably buy a 12 volt cord for it.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:45 PM   #16

Fine....how many people using generators are listening to you? But really- we've heard this topic before and it seems that 12V TV's are...ok?

Baglo- my Samsung doesnt have a brick-fyi.

Edit: Wondering why our administration isn't mandating inverters in all RV's vis a vis cap & trade, etc.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:01 AM   #17

My 12V is fine--don't know that there's any difference. I believe it's Best Buy's Insignia brand, one of the two or three 19" they had in stock. I chose that one because it didn't have a built-in DVD player as I already had one in my Pioneer radio/CD/DVD unit that I had installed by ETI.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
Old 06-17-2015, 12:30 AM   #18
Commercial Member

Quote:

Edit: Wondering why our administration isn't mandating inverters in all RV's vis a vis cap & trade, etc.
Personally I'd rather not have more stuff mandated from Asia.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 06-17-2015, 12:38 AM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My TV draws no power at all.
It's in a box, under the bed, last I looked.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:48 AM   #20

Trailer: Escape 21' 2016
Charlie, can you give me the dimensions of your shelves in the hanging closet and the pull out shelves? This looks to be what we're looking to do. Ordered 21' due to be ready Jan 2016. Thanks!
Carla Jean
2005 Toyota 4Runner
Carla Jean is offline   Reply With Quote