Finding Out New Things - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2013, 07:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Finding Out New Things

While travelling through northern Ontario and part of Quebec, we hit some of the roughest highways we've ever encountered. As a result, we found that the cap from our Rhino sewer hose holder doesn't stay on and the two stainless steel stops on the stove top vibrated loose and disappeared into the oven. Luckily, the sewer hose holder cap has a polyethylene tether so it didn't go away and the hose was a tight enough fit that it stayed put. I'll have to go fishing for the stops.

A couple of things to watch out for if you travel on rough roads.

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Oh my , that just doesn't sound very good . Starting Sept.2nd we will embark on our trip to the east coast , could you please tell us which highways you were driving on ? Through Northern Ontario we will be stoping at Thunder Bay , Geraldton, Kapuskasing and North Bay . We had hoped that Trans Canada 11 might not be too bad .
Old 08-05-2013, 06:16 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I had my table come off one trip, that is why I always put it down. A lot of movement stopped when I started using the Andersen hitch, though.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:52 AM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Doug, yes please tell us which route you were taking, and how about construction on your trip? I ask because Sunday my son and I head out to MB from S ON with a 26 ft. UHaul truck and were planning on taking 11, but if it's bad will put up with all the hills on 17. We're moving out to MB.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #5

Trailer: sold it
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeck View Post
Oh my , that just doesn't sound very good . Starting Sept.2nd we will embark on our trip to the east coast , could you please tell us which highways you were driving on ? Through Northern Ontario we will be stoping at Thunder Bay , Geraldton, Kapuskasing and North Bay . We had hoped that Trans Canada 11 might not be too bad .
We're leaving North Bay for Newfoundland and Labrador about a week before you. If you're up that way keep your eye out for us.

We went to Winnipeg and back in June, with our Escape, taking 11 out and 17 back. Both were fine then.

Have a great trip!
Old 08-05-2013, 02:02 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
John - Thx for the info, think we'll take 11, are you right in town? If so, might like to see your 5.0 especially if we stay the night in N.Bay. PM me with details. Thanks, Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrob View Post
We're leaving North Bay for Newfoundland and Labrador about a week before you. If you're up that way keep your eye out for us.

We went to Winnipeg and back in June, with our Escape, taking 11 out and 17 back. Both were fine then.

Have a great trip!
Oh thanks so much for the info ...... we will not make it to NFL this trip ...just not enough time . But will make the Niagara Wine Escape ( Sept 13-15 ) , then QuebecCity ,PEI , Halifax , Lunenburg .... need to be home by Thanksgiving . Will definitely be watching for you !
Old 08-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #8

May actually stop over in North Bay .... rv park by L.Nipissing .
Gee ... too bad we are not there all at once .... could have a mini-meet !!
Old 08-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #9

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
We traveled TransCanada Hwy 17 all the way through northern Ontario. Bad roads began around Mattawa and continued off and on all the way to Ottawa. Lots of construction closer to Ottawa. From Ottawa, we continued on TransCanada 417 toward Montreal. As soon as we hit the Quebec border the roads got worse. Severely patched pavement making the ride extremely bumpy. That's where we had the sewer cap come off. All along the TC Hwy. in Quebec there was bridge work happening. Luckily for us, we went through all of this on a long weekend so there weren't any delays but the roads were terrible. Major construction right up to the New Brunswick border. Quebec is building a new divided highway. Again, long weekend so no delays and progress through this area was good. As soon as we crossed into New Brunswick today, the roads improved dramatically. Heading for Nova Scotia tomorrow. I'll update road conditions as we proceed.

By the way, I found a solution to keep the sewer pipe cap on and I was successful fishing the stove top stop out of the oven.

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuthatchBC View Post
We traveled TransCanada Hwy 17 all the way through northern Ontario. Bad roads began around Mattawa and continued off and on all the way to Ottawa. Lots of construction closer to Ottawa. From Ottawa, we continued on TransCanada 417 toward Montreal. As soon as we hit the Quebec border the roads got worse. Severely patched pavement making the ride extremely bumpy. That's where we had the sewer cap come off. All along the TC Hwy. in Quebec there was bridge work happening. Luckily for us, we went through all of this on a long weekend so there weren't any delays but the roads were terrible. Major construction right up to the New Brunswick border. Quebec is building a new divided highway. Again, long weekend so no delays and progress through this area was good. As soon as we crossed into New Brunswick today, the roads improved dramatically. Heading for Nova Scotia tomorrow. I'll update road conditions as we proceed.

By the way, I found a solution to keep the sewer pipe cap on and I was successful fishing the stove top stop out of the oven.

Doug
Thanks for the info . That stretch from Ottawa to North Bay ( TC 17 ) as well as that stretch from Ottawa to Montreal ( 417 ) , are they bad enough to consider routing around them , or would you take them again - being the shorter route ?
Old 08-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
All along the TC Hwy. in Quebec there was bridge work happening. Luckily for us, we went through all of this on a long weekend so there weren't any delays but the roads were terrible.
All of the rotten concrete put in by corrupt contractors who bribed corrupt government officials for the work is being fixed... all over Quebec. The officials are gone (we hope) but it's gonna be a while for the roads.

Quote:
Major construction right up to the New Brunswick border. Quebec is building a new divided highway. Again, long weekend so no delays and progress through this area was good.
Quebec is building their highway (185) up to match the corresponding highway in New Brunswick (2). I drove this (without an RV) in May; the construction is only at the end of 185 and was not a problem.

The NB part was fast and smooth - there seems to be very little traffic for this high-capacity road. On the way back we took some of the old roads, which were not as smooth but much more interesting.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote