First Trip Checklist - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2018, 03:43 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19'
First Trip Checklist

After I couldn't find a consolidated checklist of things to buy and bring on a first trip in a new trailer, I made up this one (thanks to CPA Harley who added some items!). It reflects our 7 years' experience travelling with a Casita 17' with two cats, no children, and no television. I'm posting the PDF version in hopes the list may help others. (I can't seem to post both a PDF and an Excel version at the same time.)

Feedback and additions are most welcome!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf New Trailer Checklist.pdf (49.8 KB, 177 views)
egraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
The only suggestion I'd add is to name your cabinets & storage areas, and list the stuff by compartment (and what is in the tow vehicle). Makes it much easier to find something weeks or months down the road, plus it helps you organize what goes where.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:07 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
I would add a wire stripper/crimper and crimp connectors,
red, blue and yellow size.

And a butane lighter with a longish nose for lighting the stove or BBQ

A bottle of Windex, the real stuff.

A roll of painters tape for sticking on all of the leds that are too fricken bright. the painters tape pulls off really easy, every morning, when your wife tells you to get the tape off the fridge, etc..
Old 06-18-2018, 07:52 PM   #4

Thanks. But why wire strippers and crimpers? We did no electrical work on the Casita, and if there is a need to do any on the Escape, we are in big trouble!
Old 06-18-2018, 07:54 PM   #5

That is a great idea. At home, I maintain a Where Stuff Is excel spreadsheet which identifies even little things like "Headlamp" - which is why I could find them to take in the trailer.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:44 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Since you have the Casita experience, you may already have these things, but I didn't see them on your list:

Water filter for incoming hose water--blue, about $20 at Walmart.
Hose splitter, brass, with valves--Walmart for less than $5. Allows two users to share a water tap, but also allows you to wash your hands outdoors, and more importantly allows use of the filter at the odd angle when the water tap is very low.
Torque wrench--Harbor Freight for $10 on sale.
Light duty inflator/compressor. Can be 12v. Around $20, again at Walmart.
Full length broom. We often broom off the site if paved, to hold down the dreaded "tracking in".
Fridge thermometer. Can just stay in the fridge or have a sensor with external readout.
Spare sewer gate cover. I have the one with the small hose outlet, in case I need to pour gray water into the toilet/black tank, which never fills. Walmart.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by egraham View Post
Thanks. But why wire strippers and crimpers? We did no electrical work on the Casita, and if there is a need to do any on the Escape, we are in big trouble!
I think then the only reason you would have is if the battery connection corroded off.
Or if you threw something under a seat and ended up pulling off a wire.
I have done both and repaired both.
I do add led lights in the cupboards and extra USB charger outlets myself but that might not be your thing.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
Since you have the Casita experience, you may already have these things, but I didn't see them on your list:

Spare sewer gate cover. I have the one with the small hose outlet, .
I agree, but get the clear plastic one.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:46 PM   #9

Again, apologies for the ignorance, but why the torque wrench and the light duty inflator/compressor?

We always check the wheel nuts with a lug wrench but I don't recall ever having used a torque wrench. And we check the tire pressure each time before we drive away. What would we use a light duty compressor for, and would we do that often enough to make it worth the weight of carrying it?
Old 06-19-2018, 12:47 PM   #10

No, unfortunately, it's not my thing at all Nor my husband's, although we are very good at plumbing.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:49 PM   #11

The spare sewer gate cover confuses me. How do you use it to pour grey water into the black water tank? Wouldn't you just pour water down the toilet to add to the black water tank?
Old 06-19-2018, 12:50 PM   #12

Trailer: 2006 17b Escape towed by 2003 Chev Suburban 4WD or 1998 Ford F150 V6 2WD
Send a message via ICQ to deange
Quote:
Again, apologies for the ignorance, but why the torque wrench and the light duty inflator/compressor?
Incredibly light and when you need to fill your tires it's mighty handy to have. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The torque wrench is purely (in my opinion) for convenience.
deange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 12:55 PM   #13

Trailer: 2006 17b Escape towed by 2003 Chev Suburban 4WD or 1998 Ford F150 V6 2WD
Send a message via ICQ to deange
Quote:
The spare sewer gate cover confuses me. How do you use it to pour grey water into the black water tank? Wouldn't you just pour water down the toilet to add to the black water tank?
This allows you to drain your grey water, not into the black but away from the trailer https://www.amazon.ca/Camco-39463-X-...ct_top?ie=UTF8
deange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:05 PM   #14

Quote:

We always check the wheel nuts with a lug wrench but I don't recall ever having used a torque wrench. And we check the tire pressure each time before we drive away. What would we use a light duty compressor for, and would we do that often enough to make it worth the weight of carrying it?
Some people like to know exactly how tight.
And the longer handle of the torque wrench makes it more comfortable, especially when changing the water heater anode.

And if you picked up a nail in your tire you could add some air to get you to where it can be permanently fixed. They only weigh a pound or two and work off your car cigarette lighter.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:12 PM   #15

Ah, I see. We use Wag Bags if we're somewhere that doesn't have a toilet, and put our TP into baggies in a special can, so have never needed to add water to the black water tank.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:16 PM   #16

Quote:
We use the cover with the small hose connection on it as well.
The grey water seems to fill up faster these days, I think from the showers we take to wash off the bug spray.

Anyways, you can screw on an old length of hose to one of these caps and run the hose down a hill or into a ditch and open the grey water handle to drain some of it.

The grey water doesn't usually have anything other than soap and water in it.

if you use hook ups in a campground you don't need this stuff.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:31 PM   #17

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
no crimper here i am very bad at electrical issues - no clue -also plumbing
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote