Fixed rear window changeout for slider? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2014, 11:32 AM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I'm sure every Escape model has a suitable egress (emergency exit) window as standard equipment. The only reason to discuss changing out a window to get the egress feature is that sleepy wants one on the back to be able to load kayaks into the trailer.

Charlie was asking for a slider in the back, presumably for ventilation, and the egress feature wouldn't address that very well.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 11:37 AM   #22

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I'm sure every Escape model has a suitable egress (emergency exit) window as standard equipment. The only reason to discuss changing out a window to get the egress feature is that sleepy wants one on the back to be able to load kayaks into the trailer.

Charlie was asking for a slider in the back, presumably for ventilation, and the egress feature wouldn't address that very well.
Brian, I prop my EM Escape window open for ventilation in my 19 near the bed. It has a screen and is my best window for ventilation, even in the rain.
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 12:44 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
Brian, I prop my EM Escape window open for ventilation in my 19 near the bed. It has a screen and is my best window for ventilation, even in the rain.
When a top-hinged egress window is also a slider, the screen is attached to the swinging frame... but if the window is propped open in use, this is not a slider. This suggests that the screen is on the fixed part of the window frame, so you remove the screen, turn the red handles to unfasten the window, prop it open, and replace the screen. Steve, do I have that right? I agree that would give excellent ventilation, and although the screen would be inconvenient it's great to know that setup is available.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:02 PM   #24

Quote:
When a top-hinged egress window is also a slider, the screen is attached to the swinging frame... but if the window is propped open in use, this is not a slider. This suggests that the screen is on the fixed part of the window frame, so you remove the screen, turn the red handles to unfasten the window, prop it open, and replace the screen. Steve, do I have that right? I agree that would give excellent ventilation, and although the screen would be inconvenient it's great to know that setup is available.
Mine is not a slider and the screen stays attached when you prop the window open, I believe you punch the screen out from the inside in emergency and it falls on the ground outside so it is clipped on from the outside.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:53 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
That's the way ours is, Steve, but we don't use it for ventilation. We just open the other one. I also find that putting the Maxx fan on will even cool the back bed area in no time if it is hot.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:20 PM   #26

Quote:
Mine is not a slider and the screen stays attached when you prop the window open, I believe you punch the screen out from the inside in emergency and it falls on the ground outside so it is clipped on from the outside.
Okay, the release levers are not covered by the screen, so you can open the egress panel without the screen getting in the way, but how do get at the hinged window panel to prop it open without moving the screen? Do you prop it from outside?
Old 09-21-2014, 06:38 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape 19 26/May/2014 Sold New trailer 2016 Bigfoot 25B21FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Just wondered while sitting in the rear of our 21 why ETI didn't offer a slider window option in the rear instead of just a fixed window? Wish I had thought to ask for it on the build sheet...........Anyone changed their rear window out?
Hi Charie ,
I agree with everyone on the potential water leak problems with opening windows in the front and back of a travel trailer. But I think another big reason for not having large opening windows on the front and back of a fiberglas RV trailer is structural. There is just to much movement on are fiberglass trailer walls for larger opening windows to work well. Just look at your egress window on your trailer with the window open the bottom ledge of the window is like wet noddle. Now when you look at the larger fixed windows on our trailers and push on them they feel much more structurally sound because they are acting as one solid unit.
Mark

Mark & Karen Van Tiem 2014 Escape 19 sold, Now a Bigfoot 25B21FB Travel Trailer
markvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:50 PM   #28

Having dragged our first 17' Escape and now our 19' down miles of gravel road where the dust at times is unbelievable I wouldn't want to open a window on the back of the trailer!!! I remember Reace or Tammy saying that's the reason for a fixed window.

2012 Escape 19'
2013 F350 crewcab 4x4
Paul S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:01 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Mark, you may be correct on a structural problem but don't think they got to it. There are some Escapes with an opening window in front, however. Early on, there were trailers with windows on the front that were getting water in from traveling down the road. Hence, the type of window covers that we have on the front became standard. And there is all of that dust Paul mentions on the back. Would be a constant cleaning problem.

Guess someone could have such a cover put in back by an RV place. Maybe other trailers sometimes have such a thing.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:11 PM   #30

Quote:
Okay, the release levers are not covered by the screen, so you can open the egress panel without the screen getting in the way, but how do get at the hinged window panel to prop it open without moving the screen? Do you prop it from outside?
Brian, you need to look at one of these windows, Because you apparently haven't, you have made several incorrect assumptions. Inside there is a long lever that when released acts like a long support for the window when pressed open. It is all operated from the inside.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:13 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S. View Post
Having dragged our first 17' Escape and now our 19' down miles of gravel road where the dust at times is unbelievable I wouldn't want to open a window on the back of the trailer!!! I remember Reace or Tammy saying that's the reason for a fixed window.
We're taking about the window opening when the trailer is stopped, not for ventilation when it is moving...:
Old 09-21-2014, 08:48 PM   #32

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My 17B has a front window that opens. It is covered by the rock guard while traveling and the rock guard also protects the open window from rain when at camp.
That window/rockguard combo was discontinued by the manufacturer, or ETI would likely still be using it.
I've had no issues.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:47 PM   #33

Quote:
We're taking about the window opening when the trailer is stopped, not for ventilation when it is moving...:
Actually I did think you wanted it open when stopped. With the amount of dust/dirt I have seen on my back window I would think the glass would very quickly become scratched when sliding it sideways. Driving with it open on a dusty road would obviously quickly fill the trailer with grit.
The emergency awning window would be a better choice on the back but I would be surprised if it was available in a size to match the existing one.

2012 Escape 19'
2013 F350 crewcab 4x4
Paul S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:54 AM   #34

Quote:
Inside there is a long lever that when released acts like a long support for the window when pressed open.
Ah, there we go - the missing piece. Thanks.
I have a Hehr egress window in a different RV, and because it is not setup for ventilation it doesn't have that operator (just the red-handled catches). That means changing out the whole window to get convenient ventilation in my current RV, but that if any of us want a fully-opening rear window in a Escape, it can be done.

Is the angle of opening adjustable, or is it all-or-nothing? I had a house with awning type windows that had an operating lever which were best used fully-open; they could be left half-open but the handle then protruded awkwardly into the room, and with this Hehr design partway open I would wonder if the lever/prop would protrude similarly.

I think the issue of sliding a dirty (due to road grime) window would be effectively addressed by the swing-out design of ventilating egress window.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:52 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
My 17B has a front window that opens. It is covered by the rock guard while traveling and the rock guard also protects the open window from rain when at camp.
That window/rockguard combo was discontinued by the manufacturer, or ETI would likely still be using it.
I've had no issues.
Gbaglo
If you could I sure would like to see couple of pictures of your front window both in the open and closed position . My piont about structural soundness of the fiberglass walls on our trailers is that because of the movement .The frame of a larger window that opens and closes would have to make up for the movement in the walls. Which would add to a higher base cost of the windows. It's not that a window can't be made to work on a fiberglass trailer case in point is your window works well on your trailer. Some where somebody made a decision that the cost profit grief ratio was not worth the manufacturing of a windows that opens for the front of RV trailers.
Mark

Old 09-22-2014, 07:23 PM   #36

Here are interior and exterior in partially open position.
Attached Thumbnails
Opening front window.jpg   Opening front window ext.jpg  
Old 09-22-2014, 07:46 PM   #37

Gbaglo ,
Thanks for so quickly posting the pictures of your front window. It is very interesting how the stone guard seal on the outside of the window frame. I can easily see why there would be a interest in having windows that open like yours. Once again thanks for sharing your pictures.
Mark

Old 09-23-2014, 01:32 AM   #38

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
And we used to have the same window in our trailer, but replaced it with a non opening one, we always seemed to be camping in the pouring rain and in the "driving" it did come in sometimes.... No issues mow.
But then we had no opening windows in the front of the trailer so a couple months ago switched out the two side front ones for the flip out opening ones . I love them!
Bit by bit our trailer is getting newer! LOL
( think the new screen door will be next!)
Old 09-23-2014, 09:43 AM   #39

An advantage of the sliding window that I only recently discovered, is that you can leave it open, with the rock guard closed to assist ventilation ( top vent open ) when the trailer is locked up. No one is the wiser.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:13 AM   #40

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirie View Post
And we used to have the same window in our trailer, but replaced it with a non opening one, we always seemed to be camping in the pouring rain and in the "driving" it did come in sometimes.... No issues mow.
But then we had no opening windows in the front of the trailer so a couple months ago switched out the two side front ones for the flip out opening ones . I love them!
Bit by bit our trailer is getting newer! LOL
( think the new screen door will be next!)
Where did you get the flip out windows? were they hard to swap out? Do you remember what they cost?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote