Forum help..... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2012, 10:31 PM   #1
JCZ

Forum help.....

I like to help where I can.....give back, so to speak.

How to post multiple pics in one post on an SMF (Smart Machines Forum) Forum like Escape Travel Forum? Click this link for an example.... http://escapeforum.org/index.php?top...18521#msg18521

You have to have your photos hosted on the net somewhere, such as Flicker.com, Picturetrail.com, etc. Most will allow you to host a small file for free however, Flicker (owned by Yahoo.com) gives you unlimited photo storage for $20 a year by subscribing to Flicker Pro. Keep in mind that once you load photos to these hosting sites, technically, they own the photo. You can set the privacy ratings (much like facebook) where you may have some photos that are not able to be viewed by anybody, others by friends and family and yet others may be viewed by the public. Personally, I never load a photo on a hosting site that I'd not want anybody and everybody to see......those photos stay on a thumbdrive or my hardrive.

SMF forums (this forum is an SMF forum) uses BBCodes, so once they're on a hosting site, it's just a matter of copying and pasting the BBCode from the image tag. If you want to send those same photos in an email, word document, etc. then you'd switch over to the HTML Code and copy and past the HTML code in to the email, word document, etc.

*Note* You do not have to use the whole tag and if you do, it'll allow anybody to go straight to your hosting account. I just use the img portion of the tag.....just enough to get the photo posted without showing other account/photo information.

I hope this helps, if you have any questions please post them (others probably have the same questions) and I'll help where I can.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:41 PM   #2
JCZ

Re: Forum help.....

How do we get a link to draw the reader's attention to a specific thread? For example.....I may want to point the reader to this thread (click on this link).... http://escapeforum.org/index.php?topic=2160.0

You simply open that link in another window. Then right click and copy the address up in the address bar of the open thread, come back to the thread that you want to enter it in (such as I did above) and simply paste it.

Many of you already know this stuff. However, many others don't have a clue how to do these things. I hope this helps but if I've only confused you further post here and I'll try to help where I can.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:51 PM   #3
JCZ

How do we draw the reader's attention to a specific post within a board (other than typing "see post # xx in this thread)? For an example, click on this link... http://escapeforum.org/index.php?top...18529#msg18529

In order to point the reader or readers to a specific post, just go to that particular post and go the the thread title that's in that specific post, right click on the title, click on "copy shortcut" and then paste it back in the thread where you want them to see it.

I am definately technology challenged and so when I was learning some of this it just seemed very difficult to me. But slowly, one at a time I learned the procedure for each. You do any of these steps just a few times and it'll become very easy and actually quite fast, too.

I sure hope this is helping the members here and I'm not just causeing a mess. If you really want to master these steps and I've only confused you more, please either post here (I'm sure there are others that want to know) or shoot me a PM and I'll try to walk you through it.

JC
Old 08-05-2012, 07:54 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

Remember too, if you put your images elsewhere (Flickr, Photobucket, etc) and those sites either go down or go away completely... then your images will disappear from the EscapeForum. If you place those images within your message here, they are part of the archive and will be visible for as long as EscapeForum exists.

I personally dislike hosted photo sites and linking of photos on any of the forums for the exact reason... sites do go away. It has happened with Comcast, MSN and others. FiberglassRV has lost tons of modification pictures over the years because of hosted photo sites and the members also left the forum for one reason or another so there's no possible way to get those photos back.

I believe in the long term, not the short term. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
JCZ

I agree, it may not be for everybody.....but then posting photos isn't for everbody. However, it's not been a big problem on another SMF forum that I've been a moderator on for the past seven years and we have thousands of members.

I agree, if somebody deleates their hosting account, then the photos go away but with a very rare exception, that's just not been an issue.

For those just posting a few photos, the individual posts may be the best way to do it, for them. For those that are wanting to post a lot of photos in a much shorter period of time....I just don't know of a faster way. For me, this is the best way but each person will have to decide for theirself.....it's just one more option. Options are good.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:19 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

Yeah, I was a moderator/admin on FiberglassRV for eight years. Major problem with hosting, but the biggest problem was the hack.

Everyone needs to decide what works best for them, but it's important to always give multiple points of view to make that decision.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

I generally link to my photos which reside on my account at SmugMug. They is a popular paid site that is very secure, and I can set to what degree photos can be viewed, or downloaded, or even can set a sale price if I wish. There is way less chance of it going out of business than any of these forums. I can then work with full sized files, no need for reediting so they can be attached either. The image quality is much better, and it is much easier to do.

The problem with most forums that you attach photo files to, is that they then have rights to the photos. If the photo means anything to you, or has value to you, you no longer can legally control its use.

Another bonus if it really matters much these days, is that a linked photograph takes up no space on the forums servers, as it resides at the hosting site.

I would bet that in the many forums I go to, that 80% of the photos are linked, and not attached. I do distinctly remember getting an online scolding at FGRV for linking to a photo, as that was not allowed for some reason. My photo was taken down, which is of no good to anyone. I do see that they now catching up with the times, and allow linking to a photo.

Also, you are not limited to the number of photos you can post in one thread if you link to them, as you are when attaching. I was told that many of the limits set for attaching are there so people don't load up the servers with photos.

And for certain, everyone does need to decide which way they wish to go for their own reasons. These are just a few of mine.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote