Fractured chassis 2010 Escape 19' just behind the front jack on driver's side. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2015, 01:39 PM   #1
RWD

Trailer: 2010, ESCAPE 19'
Fractured chassis 2010 Escape 19' just behind the front jack on driver's side.

Has anyone encountered such a problem.
Any comments or proposed solutions for repairing the chassis!

RWD
RWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 01:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 escape 17B
Check with Escape trailer Industries about a recall and warranty issue. They have had a few problems with 3" frames on 19's and offer a solution.
dglasrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 02:08 PM   #3
RWD

Fractured chassis on 2010 Escape trailer.

Thank-you. This has been done. However I was curious to see if many more owners have had a similar problem. And consequently how they solved the issue on their trailer. A recent recall from ETI is what moved me to inspect the chassis and discover that it was completely fractured on the front driver side just behind the jack support. In fact there is a 5mm dislocation between the two pieces.
I am grateful for their warning. I would never have suspected such a defect. This could have led to serious consequences on the road. I was heading to Florida this winter with the trailer. Ouch!!!
RWD
Old 11-06-2015, 02:24 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWD View Post
Thank-you. This has been done. However I was curious to see if many more owners have had a similar problem. And consequently how they solved the issue on their trailer. A recent recall from ETI is what moved me to inspect the chassis and discover that it was completely fractured on the front driver side just behind the jack support. In fact there is a 5mm dislocation between the two pieces.
I am grateful for their warning. I would never have suspected such a defect. This could have led to serious consequences on the road. I was heading to Florida this winter with the trailer. Ouch!!!
RWD
Sorry to hear that you are having issues. However, many of us on this forum would be interested in seeing any pictures that you may care to post that show the fracture that you have found. Would you be able to post something?

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 03:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
RWD - was this fracture at a different place than where the recall is addressing? Or at that weld?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 06:04 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
RWD - was this fracture at a different place than where the recall is addressing? Or at that weld?
Also, I was wondering if it was at the spot where the inner, if it has one, backing plate ends?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:54 PM   #7
RWD

These are pictures of my fractured chassis.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:02 AM   #8
RWD

Yes. The fractured on the chassis occurred posterior to the weld. Just behind the steel reinforcement plate that serves as an anchor to the stabilizer jack.
I am having difficulty inserting pictures. Can someone offer assistance.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:11 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
How to add photos to a post

Click reply and scroll down to bottom of text box.
  • Click "go advanced" add text to message window and then scroll down.
  • Click "Manage attachments" A separate window will pop up.
  • Click "browse" Then select the file to be uploaded. Be sure that the photo is appropriately sized. 1000 x 1000 pixels (or smaller) and no more than 50K. Forums software will automatically reduce the size, but smaller size photos will upload much faster. You may select several photos to upload at the same time by repeating the last step.
  • Click "Upload" After pics have loaded close the pop-up window
  • Wait for the message "Uploading" to go away.
  • Click "submit reply" to mount the text of your message - photos will automatically appear at the bottom of your post.

I'm only guessing, but I think most people have problems because they don't wait for the pix to be uploaded before hitting submit. It can take a while.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:15 AM   #10
RWD

When I select "insert image" I am asked to insert the "URL of the image". I am using a Mac computer that describes the image as follows: IMG_1370.jpg
This is not working. Help!
Old 11-07-2015, 12:26 AM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
How to Post Photos

Here's what I do, which isn't what is suggested in the Help forum.

I click on Go Advanced.
That brings up the posting forum with a paper clip icon at the top of the message box.
I click on that and it brings up a window for attaching pix or video. I click on browse, which allows me to find the pix in my computer. I find it easiest to place them on my desktop before I start the message so I don't have to look for them.
I click on browse and select one pic at a time to a maximum of four and then I click Upload.
And, then I wait until the uploading message goes away. Then I click Submit. You might want to click Preview to make sure you're on track before hitting Submit.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2015-11-06 at 10.21.23 PM.png  
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2015, 01:02 AM   #12
RWD

Ecape 19' two pictures of fractured chassis.

From,

RWD
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1369.jpg   IMG_1370.jpg  
Old 11-07-2015, 05:42 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Is that at the welded angle joint? I does appear to be, as the stabilizer attaches to the cross member that is right behind it. Maybe a wider picture showing more of the trailer would be good.

Maybe I have missed this, but have you shared this with Reace yet. I am sure he would like to hear what has happened there.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 06:51 AM   #14
RWD

Absolutely. Reace was the first person to be informed. In fact he suggested that we fortify the fractured section with a 3/8" plate. Also burrowing holes in this plate before welding it to the chassis. These cavities would serve as weld spots, not to weaken the existing 3" chassis.
However, since I reside in the province of Quebec, you will understand that he is far from the trailer. So this problem has to be assessed and repaired by a local expert. I will know better by Monday when a protocol is proposed.
A follow-up will be forthcoming.
I wish to thank everyone for their interest in my problem and especially this FORUM for being able to share this information and no doubt its eventual solution. I will send a larger picture view of my trailer for those of you who expressed difficulty orienting the chassis fracture on previous pictures.

By the way, I still LOVE my 19' Escape very much. I consider this chassis a serious but temporary problem and intend to keep my trailer for a very long time.

Kind regards and thank-you to Reace for his on going support.

RWD
Old 11-07-2015, 06:58 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
By the way, I still LOVE my 19' Escape very much. I consider this chassis a serious but temporary problem and intend to keep my trailer for a very long time.
This is a great attitude for dealing with a problem.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:46 AM   #16

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho
Suggest you visually inspect the rest of the frame and the frame to cabin attach bolts for signs of buckling or deformation. The adjacent fiberglass around the frame to cabin attach bolts should also be checked for cracks. The inspection should be the most thorough closer to the break.

You may also want to check the frame to cabin attach bolts to make sure none are severed or cracked. A moderate applied torque should be adequate to show they are not damaged.

The frame load path was significantly altered by the break, those loads took an alternate path through the frame and probably the cabin structure.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:46 AM   #17

[QUOTE=RWD;117388
I will know better by Monday when a protocol is proposed.

RWD[/QUOTE]

I hope you don't mind a suggestion on what that protocol might include. If I had to do this repair on my trailer I'd drill some small holes upwards on either side of the damage. These would locate the floor area, hopefully inside the locker, that is directly above the damage. I'd remove a 4" square of floor to gain access to the top of the frame and be able to weld the complete circumference of the frame. Then I'd weld plates on the sides.

Good luck with the repair.

Ron
Old 11-07-2015, 01:22 PM   #18

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
The fractured on the chassis occurred posterior to the weld. Just behind the steel reinforcement plate that serves as an anchor to the stabilizer jack.
Although that describes the location, from the photos what seems perhaps more relevant to me is the bolt and nut visible immediately ahead of the break. If I understand what I am seeing correctly, this is a the end of a bolt which holds the body to the frame - unrelated to the stabilizer jack - which goes right through the top and bottom of the frame. This makes holes in the most highly stressed areas of the frame rail, and increases the risk of a crack at the bottom where the steel is loaded in tension... especially if the weld-affected area due to welding on the stabilizer bracket extends to the area of the hole.

Does the crack go through the bolt hole, or is it completely separate (and just very close behind the hole)?

I note that for this model the reinforcement to address potential issues with the tongue-to-main-rail joint is accompanied by brackets to secure the body which do not use a vertical hole right through the frame this way. In the repair, I would certainly want that body bolt hole to be plated over, and the body mounting bolt relocated to a right-angle bracket welded (or bolted) to the side of the frame rail.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 02:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

Does the crack go through the bolt hole, or is it completely separate (and just very close behind the hole)?
That puzzles me also. I'd expect that the crack would have propagated right through the center of the bolt hole.

It appears that the washer and nut may have been tacked on to prevent them from loosening and that the crack is immediately behind them.

I guess the photo was taken with a flash and it's illuminated the interior of the tube. I wondered at first why so much "daylight" was visible.

Ron
Old 11-07-2015, 05:47 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape
This instance of frame seperation at or near the bolt that goes through the 3" frame gives some insight to explain the right angle bracket that is welded on the frame in addition to the mend plate provided to owners of escape 19 trailers. The right angle bracket is welded to the frame and bolted through the floor forward of the bolt through the frame.
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote