Frameless Window Failure - Page 12 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2019, 10:19 AM   #221

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
2018 17A. My trailer has 2 small windows, kitchen and front p/s, both are fine. One of my rear windows failed, and was replaced under warranty. I am using a piece of @2x4 foam mattress for the knobstop, it's working fine and is easy to put in and take out.

I would have the frameless again (and power awning) in a hot minute.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:56 AM   #222

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbrightsteve View Post
It would be nice if the outfit we bought trailers from would offer some options for repair. But there is no profit in that.

Explain to me where the profit is in replacing windows under warranty.
Old 08-02-2019, 12:13 PM   #223

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I had a thought, idea, epiphany this morning when a fellow Escape owner called me and said he could not open his windows. They were stuck and sticking. In the recent heat we all have experienced the rubber on the frameless is probably still curing? The first thing I did upon arrival home from the factory was to coat all the rubber around the windows with "303" protectorate as well as the Maxxfan overhead gasket (did not do the bath vent). My windows do not stick and open very easy, in fact too easy. I told the new owner and they wanted to know why I did not perceive his need for this product, thus I'm doing that now. Just like your automobile that sits in the sun, vinyl trim needs protection as does the rubber window seals.
Perhaps we can lower the failure rate with some preventative maintenance!!
Old 08-02-2019, 02:46 PM   #224

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Iowa Dave: Your post re: my "drift" made me laugh, and as a teen in the 60’s, I loved the Drifters, too!
David Murphy and Jim Bennett: So glad for voices of reason and hope in this post and others!
Arniesea and RicVic: Good to know that the frameless windows are working out for you and hope they continue to do so!
Rotate Clockwise: Glad to see a North Carolinian here - and that your windows work! Just sold my Greensboro home and am looking to travel most of the time in my soon-to-arrive 17B.
CPA Harley and Azjack: One of my orientation tasks will be to learn just how far to tighten those windows!
Jon Vermilye: Thanks for the reassuring comment on frameless windows and the blog!
SunCoastDancers: Statistics! They’re not looking so good for my 17B, but I’ll do what I can to beat those odds!
JeffRow, H2Owmn, and CPA Harley: Gonna try your tricks and hope they work for me, too!
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:51 PM   #225

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
One small bathroom window failed replaced under warranty no other issues. I really like the frame less windows.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 05:33 PM   #226

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
I'll be a little off topic other than saying that we are happy with our mixed windows, two sliders which we must keep closed in the rain while having the maxi fan open as well as the escape awning type window and both loft area awning windows.

Jim's comment about the heat got me thinking about the shelter we finally have for our Escape put up on Wednesday. For the 15 months since we purchased it the 5.0TA has been outside. I thought that the structure would provide shelter from snow in the winter but had not considered the protection it receives from extreme heat and the sun. Today it's 31C outside and earlier I was in the trailer which was considerably cooler. Another advantage I'd not thought of is I need only use the tire covers when camping (and don't always do that anyway).
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:22 PM   #227

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The first thing I did upon arrival home from the factory was to coat all the rubber around the windows with "303" protectorate as well as the Maxxfan overhead gasket (did not do the bath vent). My windows do not stick and open very easy, in fact too easy. Perhaps we can lower the failure rate with some preventative maintenance!!
Now on my "to do" list, thanks!

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 08-06-2019, 10:52 PM   #228

FYI: I decided to leave my 17B build sheet (delivery scheduled for mid-October) as is but emailed my representative at ETI regarding frameless window concerns. The response I received below sounds promising:

"Hello Ava

Yes we were having a lot of issues with the hehr windows. We have not seamed to have any problems now that Lippert bought them out. What they did is they stopped making the windows that failed and replaced them with at single pane window instead. They are working on making a double pane window that will not have that high of a failure rate. The window do come with a 1 year warranty as well."

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 08-07-2019, 01:12 PM   #229

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightday View Post
As someone who'll pick up her 17B in October, I pray you're right. It was hard reading today's posts, especially regarding the 100% failure rate (after less than two years!) for some who ordered frameless windows. I can only pray that those who remain to work at ETI will continue to provide the quality product I spent so much time researching these past several months. Whatever the case, the former owners deserve a rest from their labors and cannot decently be held accountable for whatever may transpire in the future.
We received the following in February regarding the awning windows.

[/I]"On Friday, we were advised they will no longer be manufacturing the Small (14”w x 16”h) Frame-less Thermal Window, due to warranty issues, which we use in the manufacturing of the Escape Travel Trailer. This window is used in the following locations:
The Optional Bathroom Window
Frt. Passenger and Driver’s Side Windows in the 17’B
The Frt. Passenger Side in the 17’A
The Optional Kitchen Window
The Optional Window over the 2-Drawer Stack in the 21’
You are receiving this email as the manufacturing of your trailer will be affected by these changes to the Frame-less Windows. Please find attached a copy of your build sheet which reflects this change with the Frame-less Thermal to a Frame-less Non-Thermal Window. You will note the price for the Frame-less Thermal Window has been reduced by $25.00cdn as it will now be a Non-Thermal Frame-less Window. [/I]

We have the non-thermal in the bath and thermal throughout. Maybe condensation in bathroom window could be a problem but I would think cracking that window would have negligible effect on the the rest of the living area.

I believe both the manufacturer's and ETI's major failure rate was with this window and the failure rate among all the other sizes did not warrant such changes to be made.

We went ahead and kept the awning, about 4000 miles and 25 nights. Very happy with them at this point.
Old 07-13-2021, 07:14 AM   #230

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
I know this is an old post, but it was recently pointed out to me as an example of the dangers of the frameless windows.

Has this problem been nullified by changes to the design or materials over time? Is it still an issue? Are there proven ways to prevent the issues, aside from not over-tightening the knobs? Thanks for any help as we continue to plan our purchase!
AuthorSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 07:21 AM   #231

There are issues with framed windows, they conduct heat and cold to the inside and need to have routine cleaning of weepholes, frameless are more fragile and easily broken. take your pick. but chose wisely.
Old 07-13-2021, 08:42 AM   #232

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
There are issues with framed windows, they conduct heat and cold to the inside and need to have routine cleaning of weepholes, frameless are more fragile and easily broken. take your pick. but chose wisely.
Good info, thanks.
AuthorSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:28 AM   #233

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
They had an issue a few years ago with bath and kitchen windows, I believe made at a different place, delaminating. My bath window did this and I got a replacement under warranty, super ready to replace. I think this has been remedied.

Love the awning windows, would not want to go back to sliders, myself.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 10:00 AM   #234

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5 TA
Seems to me that the "solution" is that Escape no longer offers the insulated small window for the bathroom. You can still get the tilt out window, but it is single pane.
KatrinaOstby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 12:05 PM   #235

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrinaOstby View Post
Seems to me that the "solution" is that Escape no longer offers the insulated small window for the bathroom. You can still get the tilt out window, but it is single pane.
And that makes for a colder bath area........
Old 02-20-2022, 12:54 PM   #236

Trailer: 2018 17B
Frameless Window Replacement

Does anyone have manufacturer information ETI installed frameless windows. We need to order and replace the frameless window on our 17B due to the well documented manufacturer defect which was discovered after warranty expired. Thanks.
drc1523@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 01:32 PM   #237

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Hehr Windows

The original frameless windows were manufactured by Hehr. Hehr was later purchased by Lippert Components https://www.lci1.com/. Almost all the delamination failures on the Escape were with the small windows. I had three fail. So far, the Lippert replacements have held up (fingers-crossed). Unfortunately, these were discontinued.

Installation is easy assuming you can get the replacement.

Best of luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc1523@gmail.com View Post
Does anyone have manufacturer information ETI installed frameless windows. We need to order and replace the frameless window on our 17B due to the well documented manufacturer defect which was discovered after warranty expired. Thanks.
suncoastdancers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 02:15 PM   #238

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncoastdancers View Post
The original frameless windows were manufactured by Hehr. Hehr was later purchased by Lippert Components <https://www.lci1.com/>. Almost all the delamination failures on the Escape were with the small windows. I had three fail. So far, the Lippert replacements have held up (fingers-crossed). Unfortunately, these were discontinued.

Installation is easy assuming you can get the replacement.

Best of luck.
What was discontinued, the small windows or all of the frameless?
Old 02-20-2022, 05:34 PM   #239

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
We ordered a window from Lippert and it tool 6 weeks and it was defective. What's really horrible is you go to the back of the line when that happens.

LSS- Escape agreed to sell me one; I received it in 3 days and it was a bit less too.

Email: partsandservice@escape.com.

Attn: Dave Warren

Dave is from the Reace & Tammy days and not sure how many of them are still there, however Dave is awesome.
Old 02-20-2022, 06:14 PM   #240

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
The small dual-pane frameless windows were discontinued, replaced by the single-pane frameless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
What was discontinued, the small windows or all of the frameless?
suncoastdancers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frameless window