Frameless Window Failure - Page 13 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2022, 06:40 AM   #241

Trailer: 2022 21C
Hi All,

We're signing our build sheet on our 2022 21C today, and I recently asked our rep about windows.

Specifically, I asked, Are all windows (with exception of optional front one) thermal (sometimes referred to as double glazed or double pane)?

I was told that yes, all (except optional front window), including optional bathroom window, are indeed thermal/double glazed/double pane.

Lastly, this applies to either framed or frameless.

So to sum it up, as of at least the 2022 model year 21C, the only window (standard or optional, both framed & frameless) that is NOT thermal/double glazed/double pane, is the optional front window, and even that one achieves some thermal improvement when rock guard is down (you obviously can't see out when down).
djronh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 08:01 AM   #242

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by djronh1 View Post
Hi All,

We're signing our build sheet on our 2022 21C today, and I recently asked our rep about windows.

Specifically, I asked, Are all windows (with exception of optional front one) thermal (sometimes referred to as double glazed or double pane)?

I was told that yes, all (except optional front window), including optional bathroom window, are indeed thermal/double glazed/double pane.

Lastly, this applies to either framed or frameless.

So to sum it up, as of at least the 2022 model year 21C, the only window (standard or optional, both framed & frameless) that is NOT thermal/double glazed/double pane, is the optional front window, and even that one achieves some thermal improvement when rock guard is down (you obviously can't see out when down).
The online configuration guide states "All standard windows are Thermal Double-Glazed Framed Windows with Screens." The frameless option for the 21C is an additional $770 US.

My 2017 order for the 17B included four the smaller frameless thermal windows. In model year 2019, these smaller windows were replaced with single-pane frameless due to high failure rate and discontinued supply. It would be good to get confirmation that the smaller windows are again available in frameless thermal.

Since it is not specifically stated that ALL optional frameless windows are thermal, I would go to Karl for verification.
suncoastdancers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 08:30 AM   #243

Here is my question to my ETI sales rep:

"From my 21C build sheet, it looks like now (at least for model year 2022), all windows, whether framed or frameless, are double glazed. Only exception being the (optional) front window w/ rock guard/shield. Thus I assume this means both emergency (side) window, and optional bathroom window are also double glazed. Is that correct?"

Here is their response:

"You are correct in your assumption below. All windows in the trailer are thermal double paned windows, whether they are framed or frameless, the exception being the front window on all trailers. This window is a single paned window, but when the rock guard is closed it creates a thermal seal around the window. "

That response seems pretty definitive to me.
Old 02-21-2022, 09:01 AM   #244

Quote:
Here is my question to my ETI sales rep:

"From my 21C build sheet, it looks like now (at least for model year 2022), all windows, whether framed or frameless, are double glazed. Only exception being the (optional) front window w/ rock guard/shield. Thus I assume this means both emergency (side) window, and optional bathroom window are also double glazed. Is that correct?"

Here is their response:

"You are correct in your assumption below. All windows in the trailer are thermal double paned windows, whether they are framed or frameless, the exception being the front window on all trailers. This window is a single paned window, but when the rock guard is closed it creates a thermal seal around the window. "

That response seems pretty definitive to me.
I have written Karl for verification. It is good news if the smaller windows are again available in frameless thermal should I need yet another replacement.

Have you decided on framed or frameless?
Old 02-21-2022, 09:08 AM   #245

Quote:
Originally Posted by suncoastdancers View Post
Have you decided on framed or frameless?
We've opted for framed with rear frameless split.
Old 02-21-2022, 08:58 PM   #246

Trailer: 2017 19" Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncoastdancers View Post
I have been checking a number of online forums and pane separation is a "big" problem with Hehr frameless windows, and not just on Escape trailers. Almost all report adhesive failure. No one has found a quick fix to this problem. I paid a premium for these windows and I am not happy about the possibility of replacing them over time as they randomly fail. I think that Hehr should be providing an extended warranty to cover what is clearly a design or manufacturing fault.
Our 2 rear windows have failed and have fogged up on our 19 Escape. Hehr should be made to stand by their product and recall all their failed windows. I have Milgard windows in my house and they stand behind their product for life if there is a problem.
lonewolfjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 10:10 PM   #247

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolfjb View Post
I have Milgard windows in my house and they stand behind their product for life if there is a problem.
Whose life?
Have you read the fine print?
Old 02-21-2022, 10:17 PM   #248

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolfjb View Post
Our 2 rear windows have failed and have fogged up on our 19 Escape. Hehr should be made to stand by their product and recall all their failed windows. I have Milgard windows in my house and they stand behind their product for life if there is a problem.
We have Milgard windows, now 22 years old in our home as well. They've come out about five times during that period to fix a fogged window or two and correct a sliding door issue.

It is apples to oranges however with a "Rolling Earthquake"- as Donna D. aptly puts it, and you "Cannot Be Serious"- as John McEnroe used to say in expecting the same warranty to apply....IMO.

Btw, are yours framed or frameless?
Old 02-22-2022, 03:48 PM   #249

Trailer: 2017 19" Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
We have Milgard windows, now 22 years old in our home as well. They've come out about five times during that period to fix a fogged window or two and correct a sliding door issue.

It is apples to oranges however with a "Rolling Earthquake"- as Donna D. aptly puts it, and you "Cannot Be Serious"- as John McEnroe used to say in expecting the same warranty to apply....IMO.

Btw, are yours framed or frameless?
Our windows are frameless. I would not expect them to hold up the same warranty as Milgard, but when the failure is after 2 or 4 years you would think they would.
lonewolfjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 06:15 PM   #250

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Correct. These are no longer made. Got a tip off FGRV that two were sitting in a small RV shop in Ohio. They were nice enough to ship them to me. Just put them on two of our sliders yesterday. The rear passenger side just barely clears the awning arm. Looking forward to better ventilation in the rain coupled with the MaxxFan. On the classic 19 all other windows are either fixed (front and back) or under the awning (and the emergency egress window is awning style).

Check smaller RV shops. There still might be some of these laying around.
I found (4) of these rain/slider window vents new in the box recently through a friend but they came at a hefty price of $100 each…..ouch! How much were they when they were available? $30? I can’t use them as my 5.0 does not have sliders.
Suregrip391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 07:52 PM   #251

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Quote:
We've opted for framed with rear frameless split.

Just signed off on our build sheet with the same window configuration. It seemed like the best option with the manual awning, and it didn't hurt that it saved a few $$$ as well.
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 11:15 PM   #252

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
Just signed off on our build sheet with the same window configuration. It seemed like the best option with the manual awning, and it didn't hurt that it saved a few $$$ as well.
If I'm not mistaken, the framed rear window does not open and therefore has no screen, whereas the frameless (split design) opens and will be screened. My thinking is, personally, I'd prefer that nice big picture window to give an unobstructed view of whatever scenery might be available (hopefully not the outhouse! ) and a screen would be a (slight) detriment to that view.

While I intend to get the manual awning and framed windows, like you, I hope they'll let me get the optional frameless bathroom window just so I can have one window I can leave open 24/7 when parked at home, with the maxx vent open also, to prevent condensation buildup.
Old 02-23-2022, 07:37 AM   #253

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Unless ETI has changed fairly recently, the only frameless window allowed with the framed is the rear window. I wanted frameless only in the bath and was denied.
Old 02-23-2022, 09:17 AM   #254

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I got the frameless everywhere and am really glad I did.

I did have the bath window delaminate like others have had with it, and Reace just brought me a replacement to the Escape Rally. All the others have worked flawlessly.

Looking out the rear window with screens is really no issue for us, but if one wants they are removable.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 12:30 PM   #255

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
Unless ETI has changed fairly recently, the only frameless window allowed with the framed is the rear window. I wanted frameless only in the bath and was denied.
Dang!! Those spoilsports!

Oh well. I suppose leaving a framed window open in the bathroom would not cause water damage, even in a driving rain, since the bathroom is built to take water. (sigh)

I am not sure why ETI should care about one different window. Or, for that matter, whether someone wanted all framed on one side (for the awning's sake) and all frameless on the other side. Oh, for the good old days...
Old 02-23-2022, 03:18 PM   #256

Frameless Thermal Window - 14x16

Reading the subsequent posts, I see there is much confusion. Here is what received from ETI:

Thanks for reaching out regarding replacement windows, 2017 was our transition year for windows and is when Lippert bought out Hehr. If the windows have a marking on the window saying Hehr it will be manufactured by Hehr and can be ordered through this 96cs@lci1.com – window model 6499 – 14x16.

If they are Lippert windows the model number would be V000521835 - 3000 FV 14 X 16 G20 TP INS BK W/SCRN with trim ring model V000518112. Click https://support.lci1.com/ for the Lippert contact information.

Yes, I can confirm on the new trailers they are frameless thermal windows.
Sincerely,
Dustin@Escape, After Sales Support
Old 02-23-2022, 05:37 PM   #257

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0ta
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
Interesting.
When we asked to get the frameless window for the rear window only on our build, Melisa strongly discouraged me from going that direction and eventually talked me into doing all frameless windows.
When I asked about getting only the bathroom window framed she agreed without question.
nepaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 08:14 PM   #258

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Just noticed this issue on my bathroom window (2017 5.0). Hitting the road in a week, so thinking of a DIY fix-it for now. I have both some super strong 3M VHB tape and some JB MarineWeld left over from my solar project. I'm considering trying one of those. It'd probably be best to remove the window first, does anyone know how best to do that?
Old 04-10-2022, 12:06 AM   #259

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
Just noticed this issue on my bathroom window (2017 5.0).
Are you speaking of delamination? This thread had an epoxy repair.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...dow-15909.html
Old 04-10-2022, 08:23 AM   #260

Trailer: Escape
We had the larger emergency egress frameless window fail on our first trip with the new 5.0. The plastic connection on the window latch broke so the wind caught the window and bent the frame. Lippert was good about replacing the window on the warrentee. They will only ship the new window to an RV service center or to a certified mobile RV technician. They said window should ship next week. Takes about 3 weeks to ship.
Jack! is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frameless window